Unity Spotlights: Anyone ever mounted one on their TJ?

Squatch

Master Thread Derailer
Supporting Member
So, I have always been a fan of the post-mounted spotlight. You know, like what a cop car has on the windshield posts. I've always loved the old Appleton spotlights of the '50s (as part of the lead sled style), as well as the utilitarian virtues of the Unity brand lights frequently used on service trucks. I've toyed with the idea of mounting one on the driver's side of my TJ, and it got me to wondering if anyone else has ever done so, and what might be some pros and cons to having one.

The first negative I can think of is that if someone ever wanted to lay their windshield down, the spotlight would be in the way. For me, I never intend on doing so, therefore, it's not an issue. The second negative would be if I'm running grab bars, then there might be a clearance issue there. I have a set of grab bars to mount (can't recall the brand at the moment, only that they're made in the U.S.), so I need to bear that in mind. I guess a roll cage could have a clearance issue, as well, but that's not in the cards for me, either.

So, anyone ever do this?
71NZ%2BkpAlxL._SX425_.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: DETOUR and Kiwi TJ
So, I have always been a fan of the post-mounted spotlight. You know, like what a cop car has on the windshield posts. I've always loved the old Appleton spotlights of the '50s (as part of the lead sled style), as well as the utilitarian virtues of the Unity brand lights frequently used on service trucks. I've toyed with the idea of mounting one on the driver's side of my TJ, and it got me to wondering if anyone else has ever done so, and what might be some pros and cons to having one.

The first negative I can think of is that if someone ever wanted to lay their windshield down, the spotlight would be in the way. For me, I never intend on doing so, therefore, it's not an issue. The second negative would be if I'm running grab bars, then there might be a clearance issue there. I have a set of grab bars to mount (can't recall the brand at the moment, only that they're made in the U.S.), so I need to bear that in mind. I guess a roll cage could have a clearance issue, as well, but that's not in the cards for me, either.

So, anyone ever do this?
View attachment 72837
I really LIKE this idea mate...all you need then a Mexican blanket and channelled body.

Where would that handle / lever go through? I'm not even sure there's much of an a-pillar for it to go through like there is on some of those other vehicles you usually see them mounted on.

Where would that handle / lever go through? I'm not even sure there's much of an a-pillar for it to go through like there is on some of those other vehicles you usually see them mounted on.
Not really sure if it's even doable. I have seen it done on a JK before, but let's not go there... ;)

Reactions: Chris
I've never seen it before, that's for sure.

Anything is doable... we just don't know if it's worth doing. But do you really need the lever anyways? I suppose you could just mount round auxiliary lights to your windshield hinges and you'd have the same look minus the adjustable handle.

Of course maybe that's the point of it altogether... so you can aim it?

Being able to aim them where ever you need the light is truly the entire point for me considering it. If you've ever had the chance to use one, you know just how handy that can be. And by the way, they now have 'em in LED versions, as well, though I don't know that I want to go that route.

Being able to aim them where ever you need the light is truly the entire point for me considering it. If you've ever had the chance to use one, you know just how handy that can be. And by the way, they now have 'em in LED versions, as well, though I don't know that I want to go that route.

I've used one before, so I know what you mean.

But, you could also just roll down the window and use a really bright flashlight... they've gotten really good these days ;)

I get it though!

Reactions: Squatch
Yes you do need to be able to aim it.
Hey Squatch.....what about coming out of the top like they use to do in the old pickups. Then you would be able to shoot it 360 degrees. But, you would only be able to use it with the hard top on. Thoughts?

Yes you do need to be able to aim it.
Hey Squatch.....what about coming out of the top like they use to do in the old pickups. Then you would be able to shoot it 360 degrees. But, you would only be able to use it with the hard top on. Thoughts?
While that thought had briefly entered my mind, I pretty quickly dismissed it. Not sure I want to drill into the hardtop, and just not sure it would be all that stable. Plus, I'd lose the light completely when going with the soft top or topless.

Seeing where it comes through that windshield frame on the YJ makes me think it just might not be a great idea. Doesn't look like a clean installation, and definitely doesn't appear to have a lot of material around the shaft...

Reactions: Thunderhead