Good work friend. Looks like you’ve just about gotten to the finish line. That TJ will be so sweet when it’s done.

Being in St Pete I can totally empathize regarding your work on the Jeep over the summer. I run two large window AC units in my (un-Insulated) garage when I’m working out there in the summer and the garage temps are still mid 80s.

Sadly I haven’t wheeled since last May (2018). Badly broken leg last year kept anything from happening until earlier this year. And I just haven’t been motivated to get off road.

Your Jeep is going to be so clean underneath and everywhere else aren’t you going to cry a little the first time it gets nasty in the muddy/sandy off-road that is Florida?

Update:

Its been a while so I figured I’d update the build. Not a lot of pics this time (sorry)

So I put everything back on the engine and attempted to start her up….
I had all my lights working, battery charged, and when I turned the key…. Just a click. So I pulled out my multimeter and starting to diagnose my issue.
1. Removed starter and took it to Advance Auto to test it…. Check!
2. Bang head against the garage wall.
3. Then after some research found out that those starter tests aren’t conclusive, so I bought a cheap import starter and dropped that in….
4. Bang head against the garage wall.
5. Took that starter back and put in the original NEW mopar starter.Check!
6. I then took a moment to bang my head against my garage wall.
7. I continued to try and track down why the start wasn’t getting power.
8. After a desperate call to my favorite brake guy. He, in his wise wisdom, suggesting I check my Big 3 wires that I replaced.
9. Lo and behold, I found my issue….. I discovered that when I tested the main cable from the positive battery to the starter, there was a massive voltage drop when I turned the key. I ripped that baby off and when I opened up the rubber casing the wire just crumbled and fell apart. Apparently, when I accidentally switched the battery terminals (see above), the cheap Chinese aftermarket wires that I used fried the wire.
10. So I ordered some good ole ‘Merican-made Grade 0 cables and replaced every last one of ‘em.
IMG_1316.jpg

11. After my oldest son and I worked into the wee hours of the night, we determined it wouldn’t be prudent to try and start it at 3 am in the morning. We surmised that should the Jeep not start, we would be tempted to burn the Jeep, garage, house and entire neighborhood. So forgoing the possible arson charge we went to sleep.
After an extremely busy NEXT DAY…. I walked into my garage at 10:30 pm. and sensed that
the planets were aligned.........the world was at peace..........and the Jeep world was collectively sending me positive vibes from all over the planet.
Connected the terminals (correctly this time), turned the key and…….

She started!!!!!!!!
Fun Side note…. I opened my main garage door but, in my zen moment of oneness with my Jeep, I failed to calculate that the exhaust pipe (sans muffler) was pointed directly at the door in my garage that leads directly inside. So……

My wife, adorned in fuzzy housecoat and complementary slippers and hair looking like medusa, hastily ran out with a look of horror and disgust.
Using words and expressions that I haven’t ever heard leave the lips of this Southern Baptist preacher's daughter's lips, she proclaimed that all of that gasoline-rich exhaust pumped directly into my house where most of my family was sleeping and/or relaxing. Bringing along with it a putrid smell and a fairly heavy fog with it.
Also, she “politely” reminded me that I didn’t have a muffler on and the sound of the Jeep starting was quite a bit louder than was comfortable. I recall she said something along the lines of “You woke the neighbors sleeping baby in the next town over”

Much to her dismay, I didn’t hear much of what she was saying due to the fact that my JEEP STARTED!!!!!
So I blissfully reveled in my accomplishment, pushed the Jeep back into the garage and retired to my quarters.

So, when I woke up from a less than an ideal night on the couch, I thought it would be best to start her up again.

Being a morning person, I woke up at 7 am, pushed the Jeep out of the garage so I wouldn’t wake anyone. Put the key in the ignition and she started up again!

I sat in the Jeep just savoring in the moment when I was abruptly interrupted by the same female mentioned earlier in this story wearing the same housecoat, same slippers, and same unapproving look on her face.
She “informed” me that it might be a little early to start up a Jeep without a muffler at 7am on a Sunday morning in a quiet bedroom community.

She also reminded me that I probably woke up the same baby mentioned earlier.

So, I smiled and turned off the Jeep.

I may or may not have apologized a few times as well but can not confirm or deny that fact.

So, after several restful nights of sleeping on the couch, I drove the jeep to the muffler shop to get her a muffler.

IMG_1281.jpg

Updates Since Muffler-pocolypse...
  • The jeep was running really rich. Replaced the remanned injectors with Bosch OEM
  • Leak: Replace the thermostat housing.
  • Throwing two codes and still running rich: Determined it was a fried resistor in the ECU. Ordered a replacement from Flagship One. (Great product, horrendous shipping time). No More codes and purring like a kitten.
  • Small oil leak. Origin TBD.
  • Installed a double din radio with the sub in the trunk.
  • Installed a "courteous horn". I installed one of the OEM horns, ran power and installed a small button on my dash. I would highly recommend this. My kids and I love it. It works great when you politely want to let someone know that they need to look up from their phone or get their attention. It kind of like an "I don't want to lay on my horn like a douche bag so I give you a quick honk to let you know you need to pay attention to something" horn.
InkedIMG_1325_LI.jpg

• Installed a Hella 120 DB horn that is hooked up to the stock horn. This is my "Road Rage" or "Yeah your a total douchebag" horn.
IMG_1322.jpg

• Installed a DIY S-pod (found somewhere on the forum)
IMG_1318.jpg

• Installed a built-in garage door opener that operates both doors. (Figured this one out on my own) Pretty cool.
IMG_1247.jpg

• Installed LED hood lights. Awesome upgrade!
IMG_1314.jpg

The light at the end of the tunnel....

While I continue to work on fixing little sounds, dings, and annoyances and other than changing out the oil, the last major project I have is to create my own custom switch panel. I plan on using a mix of composites, aluminum, and steel to finish it off. Stay tuned.

IMG_1325.jpg

Great writeup! I need pictures in my stories to keep me entertained. I'm glad things are making a turn for the better.

Awesome right up and build.
Now, just one question. Maybe two :) Since most likely your significant other might still have a bit of a tude with you for all your noise and fumes, how would you like an all expense paid vacation to Va? Ill even let you do my tj as you did yours (minus the yellow paint) No garage either though, LOL So you can fumigate the neighbor hood and who cares about noise :)

Reactions: Vtx531