Unsolved mystery: "chu-chu-chu" sound and strange rotor wear

Glad it's not that then. Having a wheel fall off is an unsettling experience.

Yeah, that'd suck.

I guess my noise wasn't a cho-cho sound either. More of the dry scraping sound you hear when a u joint runs dry. In fact, my first thought was the drive shaft...

Mine is a dry scaping sound too. Maybe more like "chaw-chaw-chaw". Lol! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Mike_H
Yup, blue locktite on the threads, torque, and then draw a line across the face with that. That way you aren't just "testing the loctite" later with a torque wrench.
Thanks. I gotta change my SOP a little. I'd prefer to not experience wheels falling off again. Pretty bad for the whole build confidence thing... Lol

I’m dealing with the same sound.
I really noticed it after I put my hardtop back on after 6 months.
It’s time for new pads and rotors anyway so I’ll be installing the new ones next week.
Same as you it goes away at 40 plus but 0-35 it is chaw chaw chawing away
Edit; no wheel spacers on mine
Stock lugs

Does "chu chu chu" stop when you put drag on the parking brake while moving, does it stop when you put drag on the regular brakes?

Still happens with the parking brake. Goes away with the regular brakes (more like it goes away when I don't apply the gas).

If I keep the Jeep in 1st gear (42RLE automatic) I get the noise on deceleration too.

I’m dealing with the same sound.
I really noticed it after I put my hardtop back on after 6 months.
It’s time for new pads and rotors anyway so I’ll be installing the new ones next week.
Same as you it goes away at 40 plus but 0-35 it is chaw chaw chawing away
Edit; no wheel spacers on mine
Stock lugs

Maybe it's COVID and it's spreading between Jeeps now?

• Haha
Reactions: Thunderhead
I don't know your wife (though I think she at least lurks here)... So take with a grain of salt.

If I've narrowed things down to a far fetched bearing theory or "my wife is hard on brakes" , then I'm probably going to end up spending a night on the couch.

So not the parking brake but load based. Is it possible it's a u-joint on the way out?

Possible but it's not a chirp at all. An inspection shows nothing loose there. I also can create what seems to be the sound by jacking up the rear and spinning the tire by hand. When I have a moment next I will remove the rear DS and see what happens. Although if it's only load dependent this will also not put any load on that bearing so it could be misleading.

I don't know your wife (though I think she at least lurks here)... So take with a grain of salt.

If I've narrowed things down to a far fetched bearing theory or "my wife is hard on brakes" , then I'm probably going to end up spending a night on the couch.

:ROFLMAO: It started happening after I drove it roughly 1,000 miles so I'm pretty sure if anybody is at fault it's me. I'm also MUCH harder on the brakes than she is.

• Haha
Reactions: freedom_in_4low
5rhb8o.jpg

Reactions: toximus
Seems like if it was the axle bearing you'd be able to statically check for end play?

What about a diff bearing going out, did you ck for yoke movement? Check for shiny bits in the oil?

Seems like if it was the axle bearing you'd be able to statically check for end play?

My thinking is that I can't generate the torque that the engine + gearing does by hand.

What about a diff bearing going out, did you ck for yoke movement? Check for shiny bits in the oil?

It's possible. I gave the driveshaft the tug test and it's solid. Normal amount of backlash too.

Just a normal coating of metal dust on the drain plug. The oil didn't have a shimmer.

1. Mr. Tox will never spend a night on the couch.
2. I do lurk here. I read often but very rarely post.
3. Sadly I'm not an aggressive braker so this theory has been ruled out. If only it were that simple. Thanks for thinking of me though!

1. Mr. Tox will never spend a night on the couch.
2. I do lurk here. I read often but very rarely post.
3. Sadly I'm not an aggressive braker so this theory has been ruled out. If only it were that simple. Thanks for thinking of me though!

Very good for both of you!

My actual nights on the couch have almost all been related to a cooperative effort against us passing a nasty stomach bug to the other so at least one of us could be well enough to keep the kids from burning the house down...so that reference was more just an attempt at humor while sharing that when something goes wrong with my wife's vehicle, it's statistically likely to be driver-inflicted. It is a Toyota after all 🤣. But again...we're in a good place with it...i say she drives like an angry 18 year old boy, she says I drive like a grandpa, we all laugh...

Is there enough gunk on the mating surfaces that the rotor can be slightly at an angle?

It doesn't go away with the parking brake on but does with the regular brake? I would look there then. Are the pads at all worn uneven?

Is the dust shield catching and rubbing on something?