Up-travel questions

Gollywomper

Professional pot stirrer
Supporting Member
My current setup 3.5” SL 1.5” BL. Hi line fenders. 35” tires.
I currently have 4” uptravel in the front. That leaves 5.5” down. It has been this way for about a year. I do use all 4” on the road, although I never feel any jarring from bottoming out. My front springs unloaded are 20” and unseat 2” before shocks are fully extended.
I have 3-1/4” BS for shocks and track bar/diff clearance.
If I shorten my front arms more to clear TB and drop my BS to 2” my tires hit the rear fender well.
I could do something custom with track bar and or mount, then extend my shock mounts. Getting me to a 2” bump stop.
I reference 2” BS as a goal, as it seems less than that we start to see lots of steering related interference?
So is all the fab work worth 1” more of uptravel?
Or should I just install a longer spring that will not unseat at full droop and live with 4” of uptravel?

I think you could extended the upper shock mount pretty easy (loose term). Then re-do your arms to gain clearance at the diff (what diff cover do you have?) as well as center your bumpstops.

Stock diff cover. When I check tire clearance with 2” bumps the tire is very close to hitting rear fender. With new tires I believe it would rub. Especially if I move axle back any more.

The shock mounts wouldn’t be too bad to do. Might see about haveing the TB reworked a bit to keep from having to move axle back.

The up travel gets used far more often than the down. Longer springs, reduced bump stop and raised upper shock mounts should make for a noticable improvement.

I agree. Without being able to move axle back more the next option is reworking the track bar and or bracket.

Sounds like an axle position problem.

This is mine with the MC track bar and flipped Currie steering. 1.5" bump stop extension. Everything fits at full bump.

20181229_150147.jpg

20181229_164036.jpg

Thats where I was going with "re-do" your arms. Cycle the suspension and readjust as necessary.

Reactions: jjvw
I agree the easiest way would be to move axle back. I cycled it with 2” bumps and the tires were very close to the rear fender well. Moving axle back looked like it would cause tire rub before getting down to 2” of bs. Especially if I put a new set of tires on.
I will have to check it again.

One of the other issues I think I am having is I have to run my front pinion angle vs drive shaft at 1* difference or I have vibration issues. This is causing the axle to be leaned back and is not helping the situation.

Sounds like you have a fairly similar set up to me dana 44 front, 35s, mc trackbar, and highlines. I found with cycling my suspension my tires will hit the rear of the wheel while the tires are turned well before the top lip of the fender. My axle is also pushed back due to TB clearance.

Easiest way to gain more uptravel would be to swap out your shocks. Here is what you have currently

Compressed length is 16.1.

As you can see the RS55255 with a .5 smaller compressed length would allow you to have more down-travel / up then your current shocks. If you swapped to the RS55239 you would lose about 2 inches of down-travel (the amount you unseat at anyways) but gain almost 2 inches of up.

Just another way at looking at the issue....

Sounds like you have a fairly similar set up to me dana 44 front, 35s, mc trackbar, and highlines. I found with cycling my suspension my tires will hit the rear of the wheel while the tires are turned well before the top lip of the fender. My axle is also pushed back due to TB clearance.

Easiest way to gain more uptravel would be to swap out your shocks. Here is what you have currently View attachment 82282

Compressed length is 16.1.

View attachment 82283

As you can see the RS55255 with a .5 smaller compressed length would allow you to have more down-travel / up then your current shocks. If you swapped to the RS55239 you would lose about 2 inches of down-travel (the amount you unseat at anyways) but gain almost 2 inches of up.

Just another way at looking at the issue....
My TB is the limiting factor on uptravel right now. If I move the axle back my tires will hit before I gain 1” on bs. The shocks are irrelevant in this case as mounts will have to be changed accordingly. The 5000x shock does offer more travel vs compressed than the 9000x.

Alex how much BS are you running?
Due to track bar clearance / shock compressed length I'm running 3". This weekend I'm working with another forum member to extend the front mounts roughly 1.25 higher. With the change I hope to lower my bumps to 1.25-1.5.

I set my bumps prior to changing the tb to mc from rubicon express so I probably could have lowered the bumps a bit more as it sits now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gollywomper
I will pull my springs tonight and see where my tires will be at 2” and less BS. Last time I checked was when I still had the 1-1/4” wheels spacers on. So not sure what difference that will make on tire clearance when turning.