Up-travel questions

When I switched from the RE to MC I gained 3/4” of BS. BS went from 4” to 3-1/4”
Well that's not promising.

I will pull my springs tonight and see where my tires will be at 2” and less BS.
Are you going to attempt to push the axle back for TB clearance?

I cycled my suspension back in January and this is what I found out from the PASSENGER side.

With 1 inch of bump I was able to fit a 14.5 shock body into the housing. With 1.5 bump I could fit a 15 inch shock.

The limiting factor on the 1" was the tire hitting the rear of the fender in a full lock position. You have poison spider and I have MC so your experience will most likely differ. At the time I was thinking I would swap in the rancho RS55239 to fix my issue but ultimately didn't want to give up the down-travel.

Well that's not promising.

Are you going to attempt to push the axle back for TB clearance?

I cycled my suspension back in January and this is what I found out from the PASSENGER side.

With 1 inch of bump I was able to fit a 14.5 shock body into the housing. With 1.5 bump I could fit a 15 inch shock.

The limiting factor on the 1" was the tire hitting the rear of the fender in a full lock position. You have poison spider and I have MC so your experience will most likely differ. At the time I was thinking I would swap in the rancho RS55239 to fix my issue but ultimately didn't want to give up the down-travel.
I actually bought and mounted the 55239 shock. It just was going to give up so much more travel so I returned them.
My thought here is if I am going to modify my shock mounts, I am not just going to do 1 “ and run the same shock. I might as well install new mounts and 11 or 12” shocks?

My thought here is if I am going to modify my shock mounts, I am not just going to do 1 “ and run the same shock. I might as well install new mounts and 11 or 12” shocks?

OME or MC Rocksports are options for an off the shelf shock. Otherwise, you are in the world of Poly towers and Foxes.

OME or MC Rocksports are options for an off the shelf shock. Otherwise, you are in the world of Poly towers and Foxes.
Yes that’s a whole new world I have not explored yet. Lol. It is a matter of compromise when trying to stay within budget. 12” is probably a bit extreme. But 11 I think is doable, depending on what I find with my tire/fender clearances tonight.

Reactions: Alex01
Yes that’s a whole new world I have not explored yet. Lol. It is a matter of compromise when trying to stay within budget. 12” is probably a bit extreme. But 11 I think is doable, depending on what I find with my tire/fender clearances tonight.
The MC shocks have almost the same collapsed length as the 9000x with 27” extended length. If I could get at least 1” less BS they would work great paired with their springs. 5” up and 6” down wouldn’t be a bad place to be. One of the things I didn’t like about gaining 1 inch of up was loosing it in down travel. IF I can get to a 2” BS the MC setup might be ideal.

3.5” MC springs
22.5” extended
6.5 compressed? That’s what web site says. Seems tight?

What is the minimum BS to run the Currie steering?

Last edited:
FWiW...

Metalcloak 3.5"
Front
Free Length: 22.5"
Travel: 16"
Solid Height: 6.5"

Rear
Free Length:: 19"
Travel: 12.5"
Solid Height: 6.5"

Metalcloak 4.5"
Front
Free Length: 24"
Travel: 14.75"
Solid Height: 9.25"

Rear
Free Length: 20.375"
Travel: 13.625"
Solid Height: 6.75"

Currie 4"
Front
Free Length: 22.6"
Travel: 14.1
Solid Height: 8.5"

Rear
Free Length: 17.75"
Travel: 13.25"
Solid Height: 4.5"

LJ Rear
Free Length: 18.25"
Travel: 13.75"
Solid Height: 4.5"

No, no...we don't go there. For what reason did you select that particular spring?

That depends: to which specs are you referring?
3.5” lift and extended length.
I haven’t selected any yet. Just looking at what may or may not work.

i understand it may or not match rear lift height. my whole lift is mismatched pieces and parts. Lol.
From a quality standpoint is there a reason to not use MC springs? I certainly do not want to spend money poorly.
I think my springs actually measure out to be 3.75” of lift. Both front and rear.

When you cycle, take measurements between the spring seats at bump and where droop realistically will be. That can help focus your thinking.

My Currie 4" coils fit with room to spare with my bump stops. Fitting a shock that will cause them to unseat, especially the front, would be a lot of work.

Knowing that, what is MC offering with their funny coil design? Why do I want a stack of inactive coils that I can't realistically use for anything?

Reactions: Gollywomper
Sounds like an axle position problem.

This is mine with the MC track bar and flipped Currie steering. 1.5" bump stop extension. Everything fits at full bump.

View attachment 82259

View attachment 82260
Just out of curiosity, what was your uptravel limit? I have a rig with 44's in the driveway I'm putting coil overs on and the uptravel limit is the stiffener on the mid arm hitting the oil pan. I did have to do a slight bit of clearance work right above the round hole in the casting for the case spreader to clear the barrel on the JJ at the track bar.

Just out of curiosity, what was your uptravel limit? I have a rig with 44's in the driveway I'm putting coil overs on and the uptravel limit is the stiffener on the mid arm hitting the oil pan. I did have to do a slight bit of clearance work right above the round hole in the casting for the case spreader to clear the barrel on the JJ at the track bar.

I don't recall if I ever identified the hard limit beyond the body. My tires hitting the stock outer fenders has always been the boundary both before and after the MA. I do know that I could go up a bit more.

After the tie rod flip recently, everything still fit when I stuffed the axle.

Not sure if that tells you anything helpful.

Incidentally, I also realized that if I had something other than the squishy JKS body lift, I could go higher before the body gets in the way. Things I want to address on the next couple rounds of refinements...

A1B6C209-F378-4C12-A006-DB41B4C917D5.jpegMr Blaine right now it is my track bar needs 3-1/4” of bs.
(Just checking to see if I can move my axle back)
When flexed with 2” BS I have 1/2” between my tire and rear fender when turned. Not much room to spare for a new tire and moving the axle back.

What do we do about tire rub on shock mount?
Yes this is with proper droop on opposite side. 94920422-97E1-4F7F-A110-157C08C6D9C6.jpegFA553884-E47C-40E2-A271-DBE897B5F8C1.jpeg