Up-travel questions

The compressed lengths are unusually short for the high amount of travel they provide.

Though if the valving is poor for a TJ, then the additional travel may not be worth it. The valving seems to be a persistent mystery, especially here with all the 5000x love.

Has anyone found a 5000x shock in the 11” range that is valved appropriate for a tj?

Has anyone found a 5000x shock in the 11” range that is valved appropriate for a tj?
I have the longest 5000x up front. 10.75" travel with the upper mount raised to match my existing bump stops. It was cheap to do and works well enough, but I find the shock to be mushy. I would like to think it is a temporary setup before I can switch to a Fox to better match the rear.

I have the longest 5000x up front. 10.75" travel with the upper mount raised to match my existing bump stops. It was cheap to do and works well enough, but I find the shock to be mushy. I would like to think it is temporary before I can switch to a Fox to better match the rear.
I may give the MCs a shot. I dunno yet. The problem with just looking for a longer shock is the application it was valved for may not be very well suited for a TJ. Years ago I tried to find out if rancho 9000x were all valved the same since they are adjustable but never got a reliable answer. I am a fan of them, nice to have some adjustment especially in that price range.

Approx 6 threads. on the upper jam nut, 10 on lower.
If the jam nut doesn't strip and you know that it doesn't or hasn't, then if you double that amount in the tube, what are the chances of it stripping? Has to be at least half the likelihood of the jam nut stripping if it has twice as much thread engagement, no?

If the jam nut doesn't strip and you know that it doesn't or hasn't, then if you double that amount in the tube, what are the chances of it stripping? Has to be at least half the likelihood of the jam nut stripping if it has twice as much thread engagement, no?
As they sit now the large jam nut is 3/4” wide with only 1-1/4” of threads in the tube. The tube is untouched yet. But not sure if your saying I need double the jam nut length to be safe or that the jam nut holds fine with 3/4” of engagement so 1” in The tube will be fine?

shortened the arms as much as I can with tires. Here are some pics of my bump stops at bump to show how far back my axle is. EDCD3FCA-8A52-459A-9E6F-C6E8D291A056.jpeg9A75599C-760A-440E-AAD7-350939912291.jpeg72C74C39-410A-4951-8502-226C69C6CBBD.jpeg

Are all “stock” diff covers the same? I’m not sure what the cover I have came off of as I got it from a axle shop as a take off. Anyone have a measurement how far yours stuck out past the machined face of the diff? Mine is 2-3/4” to the deepest part.
Just shooting in the dark at this point. 🤨

Last edited:
My front axle is centered within 1/16 every which way I could check it.
Axle is squared to center skid plate bolts.

Where are you at with increasing clearance and regaining travel?

Where are you at with increasing clearance and regaining travel?
2.5” of BS for track bar. Everything else will fit at 2”. I just can’t figure out what is so different with my setup. From pics I’ve seen of yours. You had stock lower arms and fit. I am well below stock lengths on both uppers and lowers. 🙄

I've had the same front bumps with both stock arms and the not stock arms, etc that is in there now. They have always been for there for the ~33" tires under the factory fenders.

Reactions: Gollywomper
What about the pinion? What if the axle were rolled back?
Referencing the flat spot on the front of the diff it is at 8. That is 2 less than the drive shaft, that was set for vibration issues I had.
I took notes before I started to adjust anything. The 8* gives me 4.5 of caster. Just referencing so I don’t adjust more than that.

Moving my axle back more is going to cause tire rub issues very soon. I wonder if an offset hiem or welding a 3/4-16 threaded stud, offset, to a Johnny Joint, similar to how the Currie TB is now. Curious if that would by me the clearance? Hmmm

Well moving the axle back caused tires clearance issues before I remedied my track bar clearance issues. So I adjusted everything back to center at full bump, for axle alignment purposes, at 1-11/16” of bump stop. Counting the built in 1/2” metal spacer. Going to try to add a bit of bend in the TB see what that will do. 9C3E27AD-B145-4BA1-874A-883BC19A1C02.jpeg121427F8-5F4C-432C-964E-25B0CC913BF7.jpeg

I put a bit more bend at the axle end of the TB today. I’m cleared at 2”bumps now. That’s 2” including the 1/2” built in bump on the spring pad. Before I was 3-1/4” not counting it, so reall was 3-3/4” of bump.
Looks like close to 11.75” of travel.

Reactions: jjvw