Updating (backdating?) the TJ grille

The mounting brackets for the 5 3/4" headlights arrived today and I picked up matching headlights at a local auto parts store.

HeadlightMounts.jpg

Compared to the stock TJ lights:

HeadlightCompare.jpg

Now that I have the headlights and brackets for dimensions, I can finalize the details of the design.

I've been working on the design details of the MB grille, and there are a few decisions to make. Here's a stock MB, notice how the hood hangs out over the grille a bit:

StockMBHoodOverhang.jpg

The challenge in achieving this look on a TJ is that to start with, the top of the grille sticks out beyond the hood, and the grille is curved outward to the degree that the bolts that secure the fender the grille shell are actually ahead of the front of the hood, which makes it difficult to have an MB-style grille recessed behind the front edge of the hood, also be perfectly vertical like the original MB and still bolt in place using the factory holes in the fenders.

I disassembled a TJ grille to study the problem. It's actually fairly easy to separate the grille face from the grille shell:

FactoryGrilleDisassembled.jpg

Here's a side view of the grille shell. If one were to put the flat, vertical MB grille face at the furthest forward part of the shell, the red line shows where it would end up being, and the "L" on the front left side of the red line shows how far it would stick out beyond the hood.

GrilleFaceOptions.jpg

I'll explain the blue and yellow lines in a moment, but putting the grille face at the red line is what Jon Lennins did for his project. He grafted a (CJ-2a) grille onto a TJ grille, his video is on YouTube:

These are a few stills I grabbed from the video.

JonLenninsStills.jpg

The builder says:

"As you can see the grille lips out quite a bit but from certain angles it doesn't look that bad."

I guess that means that from certain angles he thinks it doesn't look right.

Also, Jon basically put a stock CJ-2a grille face on and widened it at each side because the flatfender grilles are a bit narrower than the TJ grille.

I post his video and the stills as an example of one way to do this project, but I don't intend it in any way to be a criticism, he did a fine job.

If you were to move the grille face towards the rear as much as possible and still retain the factory fender-grille bolt holes, you'd put the face at the blue line. It's about a half inch further back than the red line example, but it still would stick out past the front of the hood.

The yellow line shows where the face would be if it were not to stick out beyond the front of the hood.

So putting the face far enough back so that it doesn't stick out past the front of the hood and still works with unmodified factory fenders (and aftermarket flat fenders) is the challenge, I think where you really want the grille face to be is at the yellow line.

Do people prefer the look Jon achieved with the grille sticking out past the front of the hood or do people think it be preferable to have the grille face far enough back so it does not stick out past the hood?

I have designs for both options, and I have a way for both of them retain the factory fender-grille mounting holes so they both work with factory or aftermarket fenders.

The other design decision is the size and spacing of the nine slots in the grille (MBs had 9 slots, CJ-2a's had 7). Jon's design grafts the stock CJ-2a grille directly into the TJ grille and widens it at the edges to make up the difference in with. Here's what MB-size headlights look like in a TJ grille:

FactoryGrilleShellMBHeadlights2.jpg

My preference would be to adjust the proportions of everything so the headlights are in the proper position (roughly as seen above) and resize the slots slightly so they fill the space between the headlights properly (remember that the MN grille has 9 slots instead of the 7 in the TJ grill in the photo above). BTW since Jon used a CJ-2a grille, his headlights are the same size as the TJ headlights (and his has 7 slots, not 9).

Comments on any of the above are very welcome, I'm trying to finalize the design in the next few days.

Reactions: Apparition
I’d definitely say that if it’s achievable to set it back, it would look much better that way. At least flush...

To me, the 2a grill sticking out below the hood kind of resembles the old DJ models.

With the way the MB hood sticks out even with the fenders, it will be interesting to see how the finished product comes out if you decide set the grill back under the hood. Then again with flat fenders instead of stock ones it will probably (knowing your work) turn out looking great as usual!

It'd be neat to see a hood redesigned to resemble the MB too.

To me, the 2a grill sticking out below the hood kind of resembles the old DJ models.

With the way the MB hood sticks out even with the fenders, it will be interesting to see how the finished product comes out if you decide set the grill back under the hood. Then again with flat fenders instead of stock ones it will probably (knowing your work) turn out looking great as usual!

It'd be neat to see a hood redesigned to resemble the MB too.
I'm leaning towards setting the grille back so it doesn't protrude past the front of the hood, I think that will give the best MB-style look.

I've already done MB/style flat fenders in fiberglass, I'm in the process of doing the grille, and if I do an MB-style hood I'd eliminate the raised section the stock TJ hood has in the center - MB grilles are pretty much flat so that reaised section would have to go. As part of my CJ Grille Kit I did a cowl panel without the raised center section so using that cowl (I've still got all the CJ Kit molds) would set up the transition from the TJ tub to an almost-flat MB-style hood...

CowlFinal1.jpg

This photo illustrates the difference - the hood is a fiberglass stock-style CJ hood and the cowl is a stock TJ cowl, you can see how the raised center section of the cowl isn't matched on the hood.

CJHoodMockup.jpg

BTW when I made the mold for the CJ Kit hood I made the mold so that both high line and standard hoods can be made in the same mold; I would do an MB-style hood mold the same way.

Let me know "when and where", I want one too. I have a denim/canvas "shooting skirt" that I have a kazillion patches on, 95% firearms of course, but a Jeep related patch wouldn't hurt it...
Patches are now available at the Overland Outfitters web site, since I don't sell anything I asked them to do a favor and offer these for sale: https://www.overland-outfitters.com/store/p42/Keep_Calm_and_Air_Down_patch.html#/

AirDownPatches.jpg

The project I did the patch for is here BTW: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/on-board-air-in-a-bag.43890/

For the record: I will receive none of the proceeds and no compensation from the sale of these patches. The company will reimburse me for the expense of having these patches made and they will keep all of the proceeds from any sales.

Patches are now available at the Overland Outfitters web site, since I don't sell anything I asked them to do a favor and offer these for sale: https://www.overland-outfitters.com/store/p42/Keep_Calm_and_Air_Down_patch.html#/

View attachment 208003

The project I did the patch for is here BTW: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/on-board-air-in-a-bag.43890/

For the record: I will receive none of the proceeds and no compensation from the sale of these patches. The company will reimburse me for the expense of having these patches made and they will keep all of the proceeds from any sales.
THANX MUCH! I'm getting ready for my first live performance in 10 months - but I squeezed in the order already!

Reactions: Apparition

View attachment 208003

Thanks, ordered

Continuing with the design process for the MB/GPW-style grille... I believe the best look for an MB-style grille on a TJ is to have the grille slightly recessed behind the front edge of the hood and to have the grille be perfectly vertical, which is the way it is on the original MB/GPW (and all later flatfenders like the CJ2a and CJ3a/b).

After removing the factory grille face I did a mockup of a recessed/vertical face.

InsetMockup1.jpg

Already I think it looks good, but there's the problem of the fender mounting that has to be dealt with in some way. The fender mounting bolt holes are actually forward of the front edge of the hood on the TJ, so when an MB-style flat grille is inserted into the grille shell, the bolt flanges in the shell stick out past the grille. That's visible in all of these photos.

InsetMockup1a.jpg

InsetMockup1b.jpg

There are at least 3 ways to deal with this:

1. Don't recess the grille behind the front of the hood, position it so that the grille face is flush with the furthest forward point of the fender bolt flanges. I don't like this look, I posted photos of a very nicely done CJ2a -style grille a week or so ago and it sticks out past the front of the hood. That's not the look I'm going for.

2. Trim off the protruding bolt flanges and modify the fenders and the grille shell so the fenders bolt up behind the grille. This is possible and not very difficult, but it means any fenders that might be fitted have to be modified. And some commercial flat fenders probably wouldn't fit at all, they'd then be too long to bolt up to the slightly further back bolt holes in the grille shell.

3. Leave the bolt flanges in place, don't modify the fenders, and add a small fairing to the edges of the grille to cover the bolt flanges. This would result in a small angled transition between the face of the grille and the fender, and if done properly probably wouldn't look too out of place; it should be possible to make it look like it belongs there.

Yes, I saw it. I may make a mold for a fiberglass hood like that next. That hood appears to allow more tire clearance like a highline, that's what I'm thinking about.

My goal for this MB/GPW grille project is that the Jeep remains basically stock under the hood - other than modifying the grille to install the MB/GPW fiberglass face, no other mods will be required to the Jeep to install the grille. What I'm planning is for this grille to be compatible with the factory fenders or any other fenders that bolt in place of the factory fenders.

I can honestly say I never envisioned one of these patches being used like that when I designed the patch, but it does look good there. Best of luck with your performance!
Performance is over and done with - but thanx! That's my "shootin' skirt" that I usually wear to the range - mostly firearms related patches, but a few others as well. Just for fun.

Performance is over and done with - but thanx! That's my "shootin' skirt" that I usually wear to the range - mostly firearms related patches, but a few others as well. Just for fun.
GD it @Zorba is there no topic that you can't find a way to mention you like to wear women's clothes?

GD it @Zorba is there no topic that you can't find a way to mention you like to wear women's clothes?
Well, although I don't consider them "women's clothes" - I'm a guy after all and the skirt belongs to me which by definition makes it a "guy's clothes" - what I do/wear is an integral part of my personality, just like it is yours or anybody else's! {BOW HERE} I was just showin' @jscherb what I did with his really cool patch...

I don't do bras if that's any comfort to ya.

The MB/GPW grille is a background project, which means I work on it between all of my other responsibilities and higher priority projects so it's coming along slowly but I'm almost done with the design work.

I'm making the mold master from 3/4" MDF and for that I cut a piece of MDF to fit just inside the grille shell. The finished grille will sit a bit behind the front of the hood just as the original MG/GPW grille does and it's perfectly flat and vertical like the original.

In these photos I'm playing with the exact position of the lights and slots; I've printed them and cut them out so they can be moved around. Their positions in these photos is pretty close to where they'll end up.

DraftLayout1.jpg

DraftLayout2.jpg

DraftLayout3.jpg

When I've finalized the exact positions of everything, I'll cut holes in the MDF for the slots and lights. Those holes will be smoothed and the edges will be radiused slightly as they would be if the grille were pressed from sheet metal. Then the MDF grille face will be faired into the grille shell and a smooth finish will be applied. A mold will be made over the whole assembly so the final grille face that comes out of the mold will fit exactly over the grille shell.

My plan is to have everything ready to make the mold by mid-February... I'll be alone in the house for some time then so it's a good time to make a fiberglass mess in the garage. While I've got garage set up for fiberglass I'll make the mold and the next day I'll make the first grille in that mold.

Moving right along... I cut the headlight holes. Compared to a factory TJ grille:

HeadlightHoles1.jpg

HeadlightHoles2.jpg

HeadlightHoles3.jpg

I've got a few adjustments to make to the slot sizes and then I'll cut them out.

I probably won't cut holes in the mold master for the turn signals - I think leave that area flat and use an insert in the mold so the insert can be changed to support various types of turn signals (or to have no turn signals in the grille so the TJ's fender turn signals can be retained). I use inserts in the earlier grille mold in this thread to support different turn signal styles (or no turn signals) and that works very well and provides options so I'll probably do that in this mold too.

I made a few adjustments and I think this will be the final size and placement of the slots. I'll leave it on my workbench like this for a few days to decide if it's right and then I'll cut the slots.

HeadlightInstalled3.jpg

Colorized to give a better idea of what the finished product will look like:

HeadlightInstalled3c.jpg