Updating (backdating?) the TJ grille

Have you decided if you are going to try it out on your truck?

Have you decided if you are going to try it out on your truck?
I painted the grille Flame Red because that's the color of the only Jeep I have that I can install it on - my LJ has the CJ Grille Kit on it and my other Jeep is a JKU, so if I'm going to put it on something it has to be the truck:

SanibelCauseway2_zpsgqvx14r9.jpg

SanibelCauseway3_zpsc4kclcx4.jpg

But I haven't decided if I'm going to install it or not.

Sometimes I do what I call "art projects". These are projects I don't necessarily plan to actually use, but I do them because I think they'll be interesting design projects. And that's why I did this grille - because I thought it would be an interesting challenge to design an updated grille for the TJ that invoked the CJs of the past and the new JL. Having done the project, I'm very happy with the result. In many ways I think it's the best looking TJ grille I've seen.

But I haven't decided if I really want this grille on my pickup - back when I designed the pickup my goal was to have it look as much as possible like it could have come from the factory as a pickup exactly as I built it - my goal for the pickup was a factory look, not a custom look. I do think this grille would look great on the pickup, but I also think the pickup looks great just as it is.

I love it with the highline fenders! I would definitely be interested! How about MB style with highline fenders? Those would go together like a fat kid and a candy store!

I love it with the highline fenders! I would definitely be interested! How about MB style with highline fenders? Those would go together like a fat kid and a candy store!
I haven't decided if I'll do the highline version of either the flat or CJ-style fenders or if I'll do the MB-style grille but if I decide to go ahead with those projects I'll start threads on them.

Looks like it came out great!

I personally dont love the JL front ends, but I admire your work. I love the CJ front end you did.

I would be curious to see a YJ style grill on a TJ.

Reactions: Tob
I'm confused apparently. Mine look factory. I think I'm missing something. Did early tjs have them in the grille then they get removed?

All TJs came from the factory with turn signals in the front fenders and side markers in the flares. Many of us, when we switch to non factory fenders, will move our signals and markers to the grill.
20200119_141039.jpg

Reactions: psrivats
All TJs came from the factory with turn signals in the front fenders and side markers in the flares. Many of us, when we switch to non factory fenders, will move our signals and markers to the grill.
View attachment 141375
So the bigger amber light under your headlight is not factory? Because I have them too. I probably sound so dumb right now lol

20200130_151304.jpg

And believe it or not, those headlights next to you windshield are not factory either. ;)
😮 I have to say, the cj markers look like they belong there, maybe due to my dad having a cj7 throughout my child hood so i honestly never thought much of it untill I discovered this thread. Now I will argue to my death that my windshield lights come standard on tj's 😂

Reactions: Tob
Maybe I just have extremely terrible observation skills but I don't see really any difference between any of those pics with the exception of the yellow turn signals. And that wouldn't require a build of any sort. A hole saw and a few minutes and you'd be done. What am I missing?

Maybe I just have extremely terrible observation skills but I don't see really any difference between any of those pics with the exception of the yellow turn signals. And that wouldn't require a build of any sort. A hole saw and a few minutes and you'd be done. What am I missing?
I posted this concept image early in the project, it illustrates the difference - factory grille at left, the new grille at right.

JLTJGrilleTurnSignals_zpsfg1ybzkg.jpg

Reactions: bedhed and jjvw