Upgrade Differential Covers or Install Skid Plates?

JeepNStein

Hoping the seasoned Wrangler owners can help me out on this question. My ride has Dana 30 and 35 differentials. Should I upgrade the stock differential covers (Poison Spider, ARB, etc.) or install skid plates (Rugged Ridge)? Does either approach offer better protection in the event of a direct hit? Thanks in advance for your comments and advice.

It depends on the type of wheeling you do. Skids are great for sliding over rocks and protecting stuff. I don't do rocks so I recently removed my trans/oil pan skid.

Even for rocks, I would focus on underbelly skids before diff covers. I only recently put the thicker Dodge 44 cover on my front to replace the factory cover. But before any of those, adding skids to the front lower control arm mounts might be a good idea.

Reactions: Lax22
Hoping the seasoned Wrangler owners can help me out on this question. My ride has Dana 30 and 35 differentials. Should I upgrade the stock differential covers (Poison Spider, ARB, etc.) or install skid plates (Rugged Ridge)? Does either approach offer better protection in the event of a direct hit? Thanks in advance for your comments and advice.
You mean like differential skid plates? I'd skip those and do the cover of your choosing.

Diff skid plates? Yeah, don't waste the money.
I think that's what he meant but I just wanted to clarify lol. I don't think I've ever seen them for smaller axle's. I've seen the yoke skid plates for 14 bolts and such..

I think that's what he meant but I just wanted to clarify lol. I don't think I've ever seen them for smaller axle's. I've seen the yoke skid plates for 14 bolts and such..
Nth made a giant cone shaped thing for the 44 that also protected the pinion. I remember Rancho having something similar. Both occupied a lot of space below the axle and probably caught more rocks than they protected the Jeep from.

You mean like differential skid plates? I'd skip those and do the cover of your choosing.
Here's a pic.

Screenshot 2021-07-11 at 08-17-22 Rugged Ridge Jeep Wrangler Dana 30 Differential Skid Plate; ...png

I have them but whe I took it in for the tummy tuck I was told they might interfere with the gas tank armor. So bigger is not always better. Still waiting for the install so we will see what happens.

I have them but whe I took it in for the tummy tuck I was told they might interfere with the gas tank armor. So bigger is not always better. Still waiting for the install so we will see what happens.
Cycling the axle without springs will tell you if there is interference. Whoever is installing the tummy tuck should be doing this. Also, remember that a tummy tuck raises the pinion which also rolls the cover down lower.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ironman and Lax22
No problem, this happened to fit my application (to include the extra weight) over just a diff cover because I am so low to the ground.
Well my ride is lifted but there are some rocky trails to explore. Unfortunately, those are not made for my TJ. BUT there is a company here in Tucson that fabricates custom armor for Jeeps. That's an option.

Well my ride is lifted but there are some rocky trails to explore. Unfortunately, those are not made for my TJ. BUT there is a company here in Tucson that fabricates custom armor for Jeeps. That's an option.
The JK44 skid fits the TJ dana 44 as well. Didn't have any problem bolting right up.

Some say don't worry, but at $70ish, why not put one of these on the front? It helps protect the stock cover and doesn't cause interference issues. It will also give you peace of mind for denting the front cover.

For the rear, any HD cover's primary purpose is to reduce the risk of the cover from peeling back, and leaking, when drug across rocks. FWIW, I've seen the rear covers peeled back and leaking more than I've seen a front cover pushed into the ring gear.

As an alternative on the front, Alloy USA makes a 5/16 HD Dana 30 cover. They're not as thick as other covers, but plenty strong.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Alloy+USA/01...VD6NI7AAsiehHSFCH3cNxYYLp1jo-YsMaAqFNEALw_wcB

Reactions: TJ Starting
I upgraded mine. Not necessarily because I'm worried about rocks - the chances are fairly slim, but certainly greater than zero that I might hit one. I wanted a darn drain plug in mine - I think its completely stupid that there isn't one. I ended up with a well used ARB in the back, and a brand new Terraflex in the front.

Reactions: hear and Vasq