Upgrading my TJ to be more off-road capable

Austin O.

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I’ve had the tj for 5 months (Edit: actually only 3 months) or so now, y’all have been a huge help so far with fixing just about all my problems, and I’m glad I’m finally pretty much done with all that (I can only hope…) Now, I want to do some more fun stuff and get it a bit more off-road capable.

Currently, it has rancho rs5000x shocks, 31 inch street tires, and no lift. Here’s what I think I want to do, obviously, please let me know if there’s anything I should change.

And by the way, I’m a highschool student with very limited jeep knowledge as well funds 🤣. But I totally want to learn more through doing this, and I’ll start work again in January/February through the summer and that should help out quite a bit!

1. Bfg ko2 a/t tires (255/75r17 —>31s)
I’ve thought about getting new 15” wheels as well, but the ones I have have really grown on me and I just don’t think it’s worth the money for me right now

2. Small body lift —> 1-1.5 inches, maybe 2 inches?
Just want to get a bit more clearance for the tires since they’re basically maxed-out right now. Does it matter what body lift I get? They all seem pretty much the same. And is there anything I’ll need in addition to the lift, itself?

Any recommendations for what height? I believe my shocks are good for 0-2 inches, but probably don’t want to max that out?

3. Locker - I know little about this, but here’s what I’ve learned from reading stuff on the forum.

- an e locker is gonna be way too expensive for me right now, and I can’t install it myself

- I want a front auto locker since it won’t be in use when using 2wd

- being in NC, I’ll probably only be in snow/ice 1-2 times a year. It seems there are varying opinions on this - some people think you shouldn’t have an auto locker in snow when in 4wd, some people say it really doesn’t matter. For me, I feel like it’s not a big a big deal either way considering I shouldn’t see snow often?

- I can install an auto locker myself? (Probably with some answered questions/help from y’all 😉)

- Recommendations on what specific locker I want?

4. As a kind of last, not-so-necessary thing, rock sliders and fender flares. Recommendations for sliders? Id rather not have to drill new holes, and want something more minimalistic. As for fender flares, I’m thinking these.

5. Eventually a winch… not worried about that now though.

Is there anything I’m overlooking? Anything I’ve got wrong? Thanks for all your help!

Here’s my jeep :)
FA3CCDC0-6C3A-42B1-8528-2C1B85185ACE.jpeg

Last edited:
You probably won't take this advice (same as I wouldn't in high school) but just wheel it the way it is.

More "offroad capable" means easier stuff will be less fun and you have to find harder stuff to have the same amount of fun. More money spent and level of enjoyment is the same.

Best bet is to match the capability to your friends vehicles so you can be at the same level and enjoy the same trails equally.

First and foremost, what type of wheeling/ trails/ obstacles are you planning to dive into? This will help direct your build plans.

Plan on 1.25" max for the body lift height. Go with a solid spacer (typically aluminum) instead of rubber/ poly as they will deform and you won't end up with the full advertised lift height. An 1.25" body lift will pair nicely with 31" tires. A body lift will not affect your suspension, so no worries with your current shocks.

I wouldn't worry about a locker just yet. Get out there and enjoy your Jeep off the pavement. Get some seat time. Figure out what type of wheeling you really enjoy and want to build for. A locker/ lockers will be closer to the end of your build journey rather than the beginning. Plus, as you mentioned, it's an expensive stage and you want to do it right the first time.

Great looking Jeep - now get our there and enjoy it!

You probably won't take this advice (same as I wouldn't in high school) but just wheel it the way it is.

More "offroad capable" means easier stuff will be less fun and you have to find harder stuff to have the same amount of fun. More money spent and level of enjoyment is the same.

Best bet is to match the capability to your friends vehicles so you can be at the same level and enjoy the same trails equally.

Haha! Interesting take on it… definitely makes sense though. Unfortunately, I’ve got no friends with off-road vehicles. Not even a truck or anything, and there’s even only one other jeep at my school, that’s a jku.

If I go off-roading, and I definitely plan to, it will be with my father who has a stock jku Rubicon. I’m pretty sure my tj should already be out-performed by that in most cases? Just because of weight and size?

Maybe I’ll take your advice partially and not do quite as much… I can only imagine though that I’m going to want more in the future

Last edited:
Maybe I’ll take your advice partially and not do quite as much… I can only imagine though that I’m going to want more in the future

Absolutely. And seat time will help you develop the build plan and set goals so that you don't end up wasting time / money on stuff that doesn't really help you.

Reactions: Austin O.
The tires are in need of replacement. Some high-value, low-cost mods that really make a difference on the trail are a way to air down and back up and disconnecting the front sway bar. You may find that the 31s rub at full lock, which can be easily addressed by adding a washer or two to the steering stops.

Then, just wheel it for a while on the trails that you enjoy to learn line choice and speed modulation..

First and foremost, what type of wheeling/ trails/ obstacles are you planning to dive into? This will help direct your build plans.

Plan on 1.25" max for the body lift height. Go with a solid spacer (typically aluminum) instead of rubber/ poly as they will deform and you won't end up with the full advertised lift height. An 1.25" body lift will pair nicely with 31" tires. A body lift will not affect your suspension, so no worries with your current shocks.

I wouldn't worry about a locker just yet. Get out there and enjoy your Jeep off the pavement. Get some seat time. Figure out what type of wheeling you really enjoy and want to build for. A locker/ lockers will be closer to the end of your build journey rather than the beginning. Plus, as you mentioned, it's an expensive stage and you want to do it right the first time.

Great looking Jeep - now get our there and enjoy it!

As for what type, probably almost exclusively at Uwharrie for right now. I don’t know what kind that is, or if that’s what you’re asking for, but that’s what I’ve got 🤣.

Thanks for the help with the lift/spacer, that definitely will help out a lot.

As for the locker, totally makes sense. I’ll plan to wait then. It’ll give me some more time anyway to save up some money and get something better if I end up wanting it.

And thanks!

Reactions: SvtLdr
The tires are in need of replacement. Some high-value, low-cost mods that really make a difference on the trail are a way to air down and back up and disconnecting the front sway bar. You may find that the 31s rub at full lock, which can be easily addressed by adding a washer or two to the steering stops.

Then, just wheel it for a while on the trails that you enjoy to learn line choice and speed modulation..
Tires are definitely the top on the list. And, most expensive, unfortunately 😬. Thanks!

I’ve had the tj for 5 months or so now, y’all have been a huge help so far with fixing just about all my problems, and I’m glad I’m finally pretty much done with all that (I can only hope…) Now, I want to do some more fun stuff and get it a bit more off-road capable.

Currently, it has rancho rs5000x shocks, 31 inch street tires, and no lift. Here’s what I think I want to do, obviously, please let me know if there’s anything I should change.

And by the way, I’m a highschool student with very limited jeep knowledge as well funds 🤣. But I totally want to learn more through doing this, and I’ll start work again in January/February through the summer and that should help out quite a bit!

I’ve thought about getting new 15” wheels as well, but the ones I have have really grown on me and I just don’t think it’s worth the money for me right now

Just want to get a bit more clearance for the tires since they’re basically maxed-out right now. Does it matter what body lift I get? They all seem pretty much the same. And is there anything I’ll need in addition to the lift, itself?

Any recommendations for what height? I believe my shocks are good for 0-2 inches, but probably don’t want to max that out?

3. Locker - I know little about this, but here’s what I’ve learned from reading stuff on the forum.

- an e locker is gonna be way too expensive for me right now, and I can’t install it myself

- being in NC, I’ll probably only be in snow/ice 1-2 times a year. It seems there are varying opinions on this - some people think you shouldn’t have an auto locker in snow when in 4wd, some people say it really doesn’t matter. For me, I feel like it’s not a big a big deal either way considering I shouldn’t see snow often?

- I can install an auto locker myself? (Probably with some answered questions/help from y’all 😉)

4. As a kind of last, not-so-necessary thing, rock sliders and fender flares. Recommendations for sliders? Id rather not have to drill new holes, and want something more minimalistic. As for fender flares, I’m thinking these.

Is there anything I’m overlooking? Anything I’ve got wrong? Thanks for all your help!

The tires you mention are 32".

what I would do to your rig even without knowign what kind of trails you ride:

- Mud tires (at least A/T but get rid of the current ones)
- at least 2 inches of lift (but if you are going to do it, do it right and get 3 inches, with the 1.25 body lift you will have more than enough for a lot of years)
- 1.25 inch body lift (no more than 1.5 please, more than that looks odd)
- Leds in headlights (done for what I can see)
- Quick disconnect sway bar (REALLY improves while in the trail)
- front lunchbox locker (you are not going to see snow so no worries about it)
- stereo and an amp, you are going to spend a lot of time in your rig, so keep it comfortable.
- WINCH and recovery geear, let's be honest, you are a young boy that will hit the trail alone (please dont, but still, I was young too) so the capability to pull yourself out of a stuck situation will be needed

What I wouldn't do:
- Fender flares, until you actually rub your tires while wheeling I see no need for that, your jeep will tell you if you will need them eventually
- rock sliders, if you want those from 200 bucks from amazon okay, if not why? are you planning hiting the trails hard enough right now?
- any speed/mpg/horse power improvements like an high flow air cleaner, those are snake oil.
- change your wheels, those are expensive and I see no improvement (unless you sell those and get some cheap steel ones)

l dont think you will be able to change your front locker but still, I dont know how capable you are doing "real mechanic stuff"

As for what type, probably almost exclusively at Uwharrie for right now. I don’t know what kind that is, or if that’s what you’re asking for, but that’s what I’ve got 🤣.

Thanks for the help with the lift/spacer, that definitely will help out a lot.

As for the locker, totally makes sense. I’ll plan to wait then. It’ll give me some more time anyway to save up some money and get something better if I end up wanting it.

And thanks!
I've never been to Uwharrie, but from what I've heard, it has a good amount of variety (hills, mud, rocks, technical trails). That'll be a great place to cut your teeth on different types of wheeling and figure out what your really enjoy.

@RMETeeJay mentioned a way to air down/ air up tires. This is a great suggestion, definitely look into this. Also, don't forget to add a solid recovery point on the back end and a few pieces of recovery gear.

2 words..long arms 🤣

If I were you I would drive and enjoy the jeep as is for a while. I have seen too many people go down the rabbit hole and end up with a torn apart jeep in the garage. I would start with a small body lift no more than 1.25" and it must be aluminum.

Then drive it and wait for stuff to break then repair. Once you get established then worry about locker install etc.

what I would do to your rig even without knowign what kind of trails you ride:

- Mud tires (at least A/T but get rid of the current ones)
- at least 2 inches of lift (but if you are going to do it, do it right and get 3 inches, with the 1.25 body lift you will have more than enough for a lot of years)
- 1.25 inch body lift (no more than 1.5 please, more than that looks odd)
- Leds in headlights (done for what I can see)
- Quick disconnect sway bar (REALLY improves while in the trail)
- front lunchbox locker (you are not going to see snow so no worries about it)
- stereo and an amp, you are going to spend a lot of time in your rig, so keep it comfortable.
- WINCH and recovery geear, let's be honest, you are a young boy that will hit the trail alone (please dont, but still, I was young too) so the capability to pull yourself out of a stuck situation will be needed

What I wouldn't do:
- Fender flares, until you actually rub your tires while wheeling I see no need for that, your jeep will tell you if you will need them eventually
- rock sliders, if you want those from 200 bucks from amazon okay, if not why? are you planning hiting the trails hard enough right now?
- any speed/mpg/horse power improvements like an high flow air cleaner, those are snake oil.
- change your wheels, those are expensive and I see no improvement (unless you sell those and get some cheap steel ones)

l dont think you will be able to change your front locker but still, I dont know how capable you are doing "real mechanic stuff"

Totally agree. Thank you. As for the locker, I believe I can do it and figure it out myself with some help from y’all/YouTube. I’ve never worked on cars before, but i like to think I’m mechanically inclined… I’ve been around similar stuff my whole life, I’m a woodworker as well (that really doesn’t help much here though 🤣). I’m planning to go to college for mechanical engineering 🤷‍♂️

I might look into it a bit more and see if I think I’m actually capable…

Reactions: LJtobey and SvtLdr
I've never been to Uwharrie, but from what I've heard, it has a good amount of variety (hills, mud, rocks, technical trails). That'll be a great place to cut your teeth on different types of wheeling and figure out what your really enjoy.

@RMETeeJay mentioned a way to air down/ air up tires. This is a great suggestion, definitely look into this. Also, don't forget to add a solid recovery point on the back end and a few pieces of recovery gear.

Sounds good. Thank you!

Reactions: SvtLdr
I’ve had the tj for 5 months or so now, y’all have been a huge help so far with fixing just about all my problems, and I’m glad I’m finally pretty much done with all that (I can only hope…) Now, I want to do some more fun stuff and get it a bit more off-road capable.

View attachment 384032

1. an MT rather than an AT. Look way better and perform better off-road. Onroad not as good performance, but a little hum. Hey, they are MT’s. They look awesome!
2. A 1.25” body lift max. Aluminum. Won’t need to change the shock. It only makes more room for tires.
3. PowerTrax No Slip Locker. Yes, you will need this to keep up with your Dad’s JKUR. I drive mine in the snow all the time. Onroad just don’t accelerate through neighborhood turns. It’s fine. 4 winters for me. No issues.
4. Sliders, but tub mounted. You do want to drill holes in the tub. These are way better than a frame mounted (which should never be used on the rocks).
5. Winch, look for a Warn on FB. You never know, and you can rebuild easily with a few parts if it’s in decent condition.

Other things: quick disconnects, wheel spacers to move the wheel out some to clear 31’s, get a fid and I’ll send you some rope and you can make some soft shackles for recovery, a tree saver, recovery points front and rear. Should be a great build!

Yeah this is definitely the best advice but it's something people have to learn themselves. I like my jeep now and I do still love how it looks after my lift, but it has never driven the same since I lifted it. Some of that, like gearing and vibrations, I could fix with a lot of money but I still don't think it'll be quite the same as it was. There's just something special about a really clean, mostly stock jeep (or vehicle in general)