Upgrading the sound system on your Jeep Wrangler TJ

I finished my dash speaker install this afternoon. I didn't have time to take any pics as I went to test it and it sounded good enough that I'm afraid to mess with it much more.

Plan A: My original plan for the fronts was basically replacing the 4" round and separate tweeter in the stock dash pods with a pair of Sony XSR-4646 4x6" 4 way speakers and polyfill in the pod to increase the bass response which is pretty much what I did in the roll bar pods when I installed the Sony 6.5" 4 way speakers with the exception of having to cut up the pods. So, I cut the front out of the pods and mounted up a pair of adapters to the pods to hold the speakers. When I went to install them in the dash, the front of the speakers were hitting some metal framework in the top of the opening to the point the screw holes wouldn't line up. So, out they came and off to figure out Plan B.

Plan B: This was to cut the mounting tabs off the stock pods and epoxy what remained of the pods to the backside of the adapter mounting plate making it the new faceplate of the formerly stock speaker pods. That gave just enough clearance to clear the metal brace in the dash, but also reduced the amount of space in the pods which I discovered in a test fit that the speaker magnet was hitting the rubber wiring plug in the back of the pod and preventing the speaker from fitting squarely on the faceplate. So, time to sort out Plan C.

Plan C (or 3rd time's the charm): Now that the front of the pods was taken care of, it was obvious that either the speaker or that rubber plug would have to go and the speakers weren't going anywhere. With the plug coming out, that would leave about a 1" hole in the back of pods. Now, as there are a lot of ported speaker boxes out there, so that wasn't much of a concern but I was wondering if the ports and the polyfill would play nice together. So, I spent some quality time with Google and the consensus was that it could be done, but the results tended to be dubious. So, I left out the polyfill figuring if it didn't sound good, I could always add it back in later. I wasn't keen on having the speaker wires running through the port, so I drilled a couple of holes the same size as the wires into the back of the pods next to the stock wire connector and ran them in that way. The speakers now fit in the pods just fine, so I put it all together and did a sound check. Mission accomplished. Excellent bass response with the "ports"

Thanks to @bedhed for the basic idea of having an opening in the back of the pods to improve the bass

I'll try to get some pics tomorrow and add them to this.

Last edited:
Very helpful thread. Went with the Polk db652 cuz they fit but your info is what kicked off the upgrades. Also went with poly fill in sound bar (love it).
When I get to the fronts, I’ll def go with the 462 Polks for ease of install.

Here's the pictures for the above post on how I put 4x6 speakers into the stock front pods

Finished front
speaker face.jpg
Rear of the pod with re-routed wiring
speaker pod rear.jpg
Mounted in dash
Speaker mounted.jpg

Good Morning, I saw this thread and figured Id ask the question and if its not the right thread i'm sorry.

I have a cheepo single din Sony head unit and have mounted my iPad above the rear view mirror and have a blue tooth dongle attached to the input of the stereo. Since I only use the radio as amplification to the speakers I was thinking about installing an amp and using using the bluetooth dongle to connect to the iPad and use the iPad as a head unit.
I saw this and was thinking about going the route of ditching the head unit, going with an amp and a JL Audio MBT-RX Bluetooth Audio Receiver (link below) and relocating the iPad mount where the radio was.

Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MH5CFEU/?tag=wranglerorg-20

IMG_0731.JPG

My ‘98 didn’t have a head unit so I just recently bought a JVC with Bluetooth and wired it into the factory harness. Factory speakers. The front speakers work (poor sound) and the rear speakers work but with very little volume.

I only noticed @toximus replaced all the speaker wiring. What is the consensus on replacing the wiring? It’s 22 years old, is it typical to fatigue and reduce sound quality?

I will probably replace the speakers, just trying to get an idea of what the whole job looks like. Replace wiring or no?

My ‘98 didn’t have a head unit so I just recently bought a JVC with Bluetooth and wired it into the factory harness. Factory speakers. The front speakers work (poor sound) and the rear speakers work but with very little volume.

I only noticed @toximus replaced all the speaker wiring. What is the consensus on replacing the wiring? It’s 22 years old, is it typical to fatigue and reduce sound quality?

I will probably replace the speakers, just trying to get an idea of what the whole job looks like. Replace wiring or no?
I never did the wiring & haven't had any issues. I installed all Kickers in the dash, overhead & sub. It sounds great now!

Wire doesn't typically break down with age, other than maybe the insulation. The only reason to replace wire that I've ever thought was justified was if you upsized it to handle more current when an amplifier was added.

What dual bin dash replacement are you guys using? I have a 97 TJ.

I saw this one on Amazon, but it has mixed reviews

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PXP4Z31/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The 97 I recently purchased came with one of those dinky pull out screen single din units and it drives me crazy. I am planning a double din upgrade plus sirius. Get something like the link you posted, or head gun and cut the one you have. I am getting something like the link you posted and calling it good. With the top down an potential for mud and dust my concern is a good quality marine like radio and good seals and sound.

Wire doesn't typically break down with age, other than maybe the insulation. The only reason to replace wire that I've ever thought was justified was if you upsized it to handle more current when an amplifier was added.

Basically this. Replacing wires at the time was easy since I had everything apart anyway. And I'm pushing 600amps total through my sound system and I didn't feel like the stock wiring was up for the task.

Reactions: AussieNick
Finally getting around to taking interest in my sound system and look to upgrade. I have discovered that my TJ came originally with the seven speaker setup that had a factory amp and sub in the center console. However, the sub, amp, and the enclosure it sits in have all been removed by the PO. Only thing remaining is the factory harness that I assume comes from the stock head unit.

With that said, what options are out there for a amp/sub combo that would fit in an enclosure that would fit in the center console? Aside from that, my only other Intentions are to replace the stock stereo with an aftermarket head unit and I’ll likely replace the speakers with some type of direct fit replacement some day.

I see a lot of questions about how to get a better sound system from your Jeep Wrangler TJ. People will often dismiss the TJ as being a vehicle with poor sound dynamics to begin with, and while this is true to some degree, I can tell you that the sound system I have in my 2005 TJ Rubicon is absolutely killer, and it didn't break the bank either!

At 65+ on the highway with the doors off and the top off, I can hear the sound loud and clear without any issue at all. I have my subwoofer volume set at 6 (out of 12) and the subwoofer volume on the amp only turned to half way. Yet the bass still kicks like you wouldn't believe!

Here's what I am using for my setup:
Some of the components I bought from Crutchfield, while others I got from Amazon.

But that's it, literally. I mounted the amp underneath the front center console (it's a very tiny amp) and the subwoofer is mounted in place of the factory subwoofer (which some TJs came with). The amp powers the subwoofer alone, and the speakers are driven off the head unit.

This sound system is no joke, I mean it. I was expecting it to be a little better than stock, but I wasn't expecting it to be this good. If you crank the volume all the way up to 35 (the highest it goes), it's deafening.

I highly recommend this setup to anyone who is looking to improve the sound in their TJ without breaking the bank. This is all you'll need, I can promise you that.

So while this isn't a "how-to" guide in terms of installing it, I feel like this is a fantastic setup at a price that won't leave you broke.
What if I used this setup expect I use the kicker deluxe speaker pods for the sound bar and dash would it still be deafening loud? And also does the amp need some kind of remote or do you just plug it up? I’m not very good with electronics.

What if I used this setup expect I use the kicker deluxe speaker pods for the sound bar and dash would it still be deafening loud? And also does the amp need some kind of remote or do you just plug it up? I’m not very good with electronics.

The amp has to be wired up, but it's beyond easy. I'm terrible with electronics, but wiring up an amp is actually a very, very easy thing to do.

As for the speakers, it all depends on the specs of the speakers. Those Polk speakers happen to have just the right specs for the TJ and that setup, which is why I like them so much.

Reactions: Tzerambo
The amp has to be wired up, but it's beyond easy. I'm terrible with electronics, but wiring up an amp is actually a very, very easy thing to do.

As for the speakers, it all depends on the specs of the speakers. Those Polk speakers happen to have just the right specs for the TJ and that setup, which is why I like them so much.
What all did you have to do to make the subwoofer fit into the stock spot? Because I plan to do the same.