Upgrading the sound system on your Jeep Wrangler TJ

As far as comparing sound, depth and distortion, the previous owner had Polk db401 units in the dash, and the sound is comparable to my current Polk DB461 units, not as rich though, if that makes sense. Better mid range for my listening. I will try a set of Reference 5.25" Infinitis I have to compare just to see what sounds better for me. Solid installation and base, while cancelling out any vibrations in the dash is one of the things I can highly recommend. With the Sony XA AVX3000 unit I have the 55w x 4 output is pretty decent all considering

It does make sense, I get it, our ears know what they like. Last week I was thinking if it would sound better if I replaced my 5.25" speakers with 4" (not 4"x6") since the 6.5" woofer is on my head and I would rather the front dash audio be higher to mid. I don't need the 5.25" to play down so low, I would rather have better highs and I think a 4" could do that. This is also a jeep and I cannot stop tinkering.

Reactions: Ephry73
Great! Now I'm on Crutchfield's website drooling over speakers! Thanks a lot @skrelnik, you enabler! Lol!

Instead I may just piggy back my sub amp with another 4 channel amp @ 50 watts RMS power output and pair up some speakers. Suggestions on 5.25" speakers that are better than the Polks? Want to steer clear of components just for simplicity.

To maximize the speaker you want to pair properly with the amplifier. Would these be for over your head in the pods, or in the front dash?

To maximize the speaker you want to pair properly with the amplifier. Would these be for over your head in the pods, or in the front dash?

The 2nd 4 channel amp would run the dash and pods instead of the HU running them. Something like this,
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KACM3K4/Kenwood-KAC-M3004.html?tp=35782 small enough I think I could sandwich it on top of my mono sub amp of similar size and still fit them both under the steering column.
I'd probably need to upgrade the hot from the battery from 10 gauge to 8 gauge for the added draw.

Interesting, maybe it's my head unit or a bad install or something I'm not hearing right but I'm just really not enjoying the sound of the 461s. They seem very weak and there is too much distortion when the volume is above 70%. On the phone the other day I had to max out the volume to even hear the callers voice and it still sounded very rough.
That is odd indeed. The radio maxes out at 36(high volume for my current setup) and I normally run it around 23-25 for more than loud enough in city traffic. Soft top, mud terrain tires and a loudish exhaust.

The 2nd 4 channel amp would run the dash and pods instead of the HU running them. Something like this,
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KACM3K4/Kenwood-KAC-M3004.html?tp=35782small enough I think I could sandwich it on top of my mono sub amp of similar size and still fit them both under the steering column.
I'd probably need to upgrade the hot from the battery from 10 gauge to 8 gauge for the added draw.

I ran that amp for a year or so and sold it on the forums along with my head unit and wires...oh the memories! It is a nice amp, and it did it's job. The reason I sold it and moved on was that I picked up a 5 channel amplifier. You know I have that Clarion for sale, small footprint, and I did run that along with the 5 channel amplifier...I went to seven speakers, and now I am at eight speakers. It's a nice little amplifier with the same specs as the Kenwood.

I would ask yourself for the money, could you buy a five channel and sell your mono amp, would that put you in a better position? Less wiring, smaller footprint, easier and you do not lose anything other than the mono amp. No decrease in quality.

Great! Now I'm on Crutchfield's website drooling over speakers! Thanks a lot @skrelnik, you enabler! Lol!

Instead I may just piggy back my sub amp with another 4 channel amp @ 50 watts RMS power output and pair up some speakers. Suggestions on 5.25" speakers that are better than the Polks? Want to steer clear of components just for simplicity.
Infinity reference no complaints in an Audi with plenty of sound and bass. The Polks have done me well as well

Reactions: skrelnik
That is odd indeed. The radio maxes out at 36(high volume for my current setup) and I normally run it around 23-25 for more than loud enough in city traffic. Soft top, mud terrain tires and a loudish exhaust.
Adding some polyfill behind all speakers and rewiring the passenger side dash speaker seemed to have done the trick. A lot more sound, a lot more clarity. My radio maxes at 60 and I used to get distortion around 45-50, but it was necessary on any road in an almost completely stock LJ. Seems like I may have been rolling with 3 speakers and not realized it. Even the sub seems to be performing better now that I've made the adjustments.

I ran that amp for a year or so and sold it on the forums along with my head unit and wires...oh the memories! It is a nice amp, and it did it's job. The reason I sold it and moved on was that I picked up a 5 channel amplifier. You know I have that Clarion for sale, small footprint, and I did run that along with the 5 channel amplifier...I went to seven speakers, and now I am at eight speakers. It's a nice little amplifier with the same specs as the Kenwood.

I would ask yourself for the money, could you buy a five channel and sell your mono amp, would that put you in a better position? Less wiring, smaller footprint, easier and you do not lose anything other than the mono amp. No decrease in quality.

That was my original thought, and still may steer the direction of a 5 channel amp that will fit under the steering column. Selling stereo equipment just sucks though. You take such a hit in the value.

That was my original thought, and still may steer the direction of a 5 channel amp that will fit under the steering column. Selling stereo equipment just sucks though. You take such a hit in the value.

Oh boy you are so true on that. On the DIYMA classified right now is a set of Focal PS165FXE, BNIB, they just didn't fit the guys door panel so he is forced to sell. Cost $650 new everywhere, and it is listed for $380 - no buyers for it.

I just sold a bunch of audio for a fraction of the price as well. Oh, speaking of which, and I'll throw this at you, I have another M 5DSP, but the subwoofer channel is not working, only four out of the five channels. I do not have this listed for sale as I would not feel right selling it, but if you want to try it out, and if you like it you can make a donation to the forum, and if you don't like it, then you can return it to me.

You will need a windows based laptop to program this thing, but I can pre-program for you.

There are a couple easier five channel amps out there, old school, not a built in digital sound processor, that will fit under the center console. A 7" wide amp mounting board is about as wide as you want to go, up to ~10" long will fit well.

These amps come to mind as a good quality and fitment.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113X8025/Kenwood-Excelon-X802-5.html?tp=115
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575R2750X5/Rockford-Fosgate-R2-750X5.html?tp=115
You could look into this 5.25" coaxial set that runs a 2 ohm impedance and will work well these amps.

https://www.blam-audio.com/en/130-rc/

Reactions: bobthetj03
Assuming the head unit has a pre-amp out for the self-powered sub you should be good to go there. I’ll mention the Kicker version as well. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy the refurbished version for $149

You shouldn’t need any amp for the other 4 speakers.

You shouldn’t need anything else at all.
OK, for now i'm dropping the idea of getting the amp for the 4 speakers and spending the extra 100 bucks on the Rockfork powered sub instead of the sound Ordnance.
I guess if i'm not happy I can add the amp latter.

OK, for now i'm dropping the idea of getting the amp for the 4 speakers and spending the extra 100 bucks on the Rockfork powered sub instead of the sound Ordnance.
I guess if i'm not happy I can add the amp latter.

I would actually steer you in a different direction. A five channel amplifier and either a 6.75" or 8" Kicker subwoofer for the center console. An 8" will fit with a little tweak.

This is what's needed to fit an 8"

1) Pioneer sells an 8" sub woofer box that can fit into the center console with a little mod. Link below.

2) Buy an 8" Kicker sub.

ed-0c7f31976114_1.987dba052b44fa159efb9d47cde226fc.jpg

Pioneer(R) UD-SW200D 8" Downfiring Enclosure for TS-SW2002D2 Subwoofer - Walmart.com
Free 2-day shipping. Buy Pioneer(R) UD-SW200D 8" Downfiring Enclosure for TS-SW2002D2 Subwoofer at Walmart.com
www.walmart.com

You need to cut this one piece out.

161826-fdd7b11eb74ce4260dde9135fbe034b9.jpg

Looks like this afterward.

161827-761fe30abc87e887151f8fb331fa0a90.jpg

No speaker installed, but you can see what it would look like.

161825-7dd37c890a2995d1f6cdb3fb3cfb9611.jpg

EDIT: The 8 Pioneer boxes that were available are now sold out. A couple left on Amazon, but looks like people will have to make their own boxes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 112dB
I think I am liking this Idea, granted my console was not factory fitted with a sub?
I never use the console for anything anyways.
Just to explore all my options can someone steer me in the right direction for a 5 ch amp and an 8" sub?
and where will the amp be located I suppose under the dash?
links to Crutchfield would be nice that's where I have my buy list started.

I think I am liking this Idea, granted my console was not factory fitted with a sub?
Just to explore all my options can someone steer me in the right direction for a 5 ch amp and an 8" sub?

The first question I ask is budget. A new 5 channel amp will start at $200. The 8" Kicker sub is a good option.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-4pgfANIb6gA/p_530PN5640D/Soundstream-Picasso-Nano-PN5-640D.html
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113X8025/Kenwood-Excelon-X802-5.html?tp=115
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575R2750X5/Rockford-Fosgate-R2-750X5.html?tp=115
Kicker 8" - wired in series

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-Kq6RM6mRDXb/p_206CWRT81/Kicker-CompRT-43CWRT81.html

amp location - a 7" x 9" mounting board will fit. I then used a picture hanging kit (with wire) and velcro tape to secure this.

1590770197487.png

A Kicker Hideaway will be a great addition as well(have one of those in the box waiting for me to do something with it). I remember using this model on my JKU with great results. Hid it under the passenger front seat without issues. Self Amplified and perfect for the size of the Wrangler.
Most quality speakers like to be overdriven, rather than under driven, so keep that in mind.

Another great addition would be something like a 6.75" Kicker Sub with a small amp, or even the 8" Punch (used it in my S4 Audi as an open air sub in the stock sub location, driven by a small Pioneer amp with amazing results)

Last edited:
Reactions: skrelnik
Yeah when you jump up to 5 ch amps I see the price goes up also...LOL
I already have the radio so with four new speakers,amp,sub, and all the accessories i was hoping to stay in the $400 range but that might not be possible... I just didn't want to spend 3 or 4 hundred and still be disappointed in the sound.

Yeah when you jump up to 5 ch amps I see the price goes up also...LOL
I already have the radio so with four new speakers,amp,sub, and all the accessories i was hoping to stay in the $400 range but that might not be possible... I just didn't want to spend 3 or 4 hundred and still be disappointed in the sound.

4 channel amp plus self powered sub woofer vs 5 channel amp and standard sub woofer? You can also build in stages, and look for used equipment to get by for now, and look to upgrade later. Spend money on that Kenwood amp and look for some used speakers, plenty around. Search the DIYMA classifieds wisely.