Upgrading the sound system on your Jeep Wrangler TJ

I didn't go the component route.... I bought the coaxial in both sized. No issue with fit in either location. I bought the dash pods to install the 5.25's and had the 6.5's installed in the sound bar without an issue.

I can't speak to the Audison Prima's but in looking at what goes into a speaker I'd say that exclusive dealer networks cost a lot more than the speaker materials and labor. While I really like the BLAM speakers and will buy them again if I get a similar deal, I'd never pay $300 for a pair of them. Dealers love the Euro exclusive brands. BLAM is that right now but in Europe they seem to be more of a commodity brand. I found similar pricing in Denmark and even Thailand for them.

I haven't done the sub yet. Once it cools down here in AZ I'm going to sound deaden the entire Jeep. I'll get to the sub when I pull the seats/console for that effort. Right now I'm looking at just swapping out the speaker itself. I don't need a huge sub for what I listen to. Working with the settings on my head unit I've been able to get respectable performance out of the stock sub actually.

I'm looking to upgrade the audio in my 1999. I was looking at the marine Polks Chris posted about and looking at some others like Infinity. These BLAM speakers you posted about are only about $50 more.

In a Jeep on the interstate can you really hear a difference between between these Blam and other decent speakers? I might get me some of these.

I'm looking to upgrade the audio in my 1999. I was looking at the marine Polks Chris posted about and looking at some others like Infinity. These BLAM speakers you posted about are only about $50 more.

In a Jeep on the interstate can you really hear a difference between between these Blam and other decent speakers? I might get me some of these.

The BLAM speakers have a very low sensitivity which means they will provide great sound at both low power settings as well as high power ones. My head unit puts out 16 Watts per channel RMS and at 50 with the top off I can hear the full spectrum just fine.

I chose these speakers for a couple of reasons. One was that I intend to sound deaden the Jeep this fall and when I put the hard top back on I believe it will sound great at lower volumes. Another was the name.... :cool:

Truth be told.... at 56, with 42 years of playing electric guitar waaaay too loud in small rooms I probably can't really tell the difference.

Chris actually got rid of the Polks for the BLAMs.

It's more than the speakers that give you sound clarity at the highway speeds.

Depending on who you are, and your budget, I generally recommend Kicker 5.25" and 6.5"s coaxials for a basic upgrade.

A five channel amplifier may greatly help out your quest for good sound quality at highway speeds with the top off, and depending on the quality of amp you can then upgrade speakers, if wanted.

For me, no top at 75mph and I hear music clearly. Adding an amplifier and relocating tweeters to the dash/a-pillar really helped that out.

Reactions: Ephry73
Chris actually got rid of the Polks for the BLAMs.

It's more than the speakers that give you sound clarity at the highway speeds.

Depending on who you are, and your budget, I generally recommend Kicker 5.25" and 6.5"s coaxials for a basic upgrade.

A five channel amplifier may greatly help out your quest for good sound quality at highway speeds with the top off, and depending on the quality of amp you can then upgrade speakers, if wanted.

For me, no top at 75mph and I hear music clearly. Adding an amplifier and relocating tweeters to the dash/a-pillar really helped that out.

Do you have a suggestion for front speakers with seperate tweeters for the dash area? I'm sure, like you said, seperates up front could make a significant difference. I'd really like them marine grade but it's rare that they would get wet so not absolutly necessary.

Do you have a suggestion for front speakers with seperate tweeters for the dash area? I'm sure, like you said, seperates up front could make a significant difference. I'd really like them marine grade but it's rare that they would get wet so not absolutly necessary.

Before determining the tweeter, do you have a rough budget and will they be driven off an amplifier or head unit. In either case, will need to know the source to make the best recommendation, brand of head unit or amplifier?

Reactions: Xposure
Just purchased a setup for my rig. Though, probably wasnt worth it. I already have polk speakers in the dash and soundbar. Coming next week though should be a sound ordnance B-8PTD, kenwood KAC M1814 amp, and a Kenwood KMM-BT328U headunit. Not sure where the powered sub will go; either under the seat (though I worry about water) or try and mount it in the center console somehow.

Just purchased a setup for my rig. Though, probably wasnt worth it. I already have polk speakers in the dash and soundbar. Coming next week though should be a sound ordnance B-8PTD, kenwood KAC M1814 amp, and a Kenwood KMM-BT328U headunit. Not sure where the powered sub will go; either under the seat (though I worry about water) or try and mount it in the center console somehow.

You should be able to jam the self powered sub inside the center console, might have to angle it, and be careful not to hit/detach the e-brake wire connector - easy fix, but annoying as heck.

Reactions: tworley
Before determining the tweeter, do you have a rough budget and will they be driven off an amplifier or head unit. In either case, will need to know the source to make the best recommendation, brand of head unit or amplifier?

I have a old amp I used in my rx7 back in the day....dont recall brand but it was 150x4rms (I can turn the level down for each channel to keep it speaker safe). I used to run it with an Eclipse hu but I'll get some more current hu with bluetooth and such. I'm not sure on the hu....I actually have a old Kenwood (like 10+yrs old) in the Jeep right now that I could hook the amp up too....so I may keep that until I decide on a new hu.

I'd prefer to be around the $150-$200 mark on dash/bar speakers. Really would like that to include any mounting brackets, pods, stuffing, whatever.

Plus will prob get some kind of power sub that I can fit under the seat or in back.

Im not looking for winning contests, Im just looking to hear the stereo lol. I have a 3speed auto with 4.56 gears and turn 3500rpm on the interstate....its loud....I dont even turn the stereo on, but I'd like to get something worth listening too that I can hear in spite of all the vehicle noise.

Last edited:
I have a old amp I used in my rx7 back in the day....dont recall brand but it was 150x4rms (I can turn the level down for each channel to keep it speaker safe). I used to run it with an Eclipse hu but I'll get some more current hu with bluetooth and such. I'm not sure on the hu....I actually have a old Kenwood (like 10+yrs old) in the Jeep right now that I could hook the amp up too....so I may keep that until I decide on a new hu.

I'd prefer to be around the $150-$200 mark on dash/bar speakers. Plus will prob get some kind of power sub that I can fit under the seat or in back.

Im not looking for winning contests, Im just looking to hear the stereo lol. I have a 3speed auto with 4.56 gears and turn 3500rpm on the interstate....its loud....I dont even turn the stereo on, but I'd like to get something worth listening too that I can hear in spite of all the vehicle noise.

We don't want to try to win any contests with our Jeeps either! I would stick with those Kicker's as you will be under that mark and be fine. If you want to step up, you could stick with the Kicker 6.5" coaxials in the overhead soundbar for $70.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206DSC6504/Kicker-43DSC6504.html
For an insanely good value on a 5.25" component set, this NVX has the woofers, tweeters and crossover at $70.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_72200_NVX-VSP525KIT-Component-Speaker-System.html
You just need the metra 5.25" brackets and tweeter pods fort the dash, and you will be under $200.

We don't want to try to win any contests with our Jeeps either! I would stick with those Kicker's as you will be under that mark and be fine. If you want to step up, you could stick with the Kicker 6.5" coaxials in the overhead soundbar for $70.

For an insanely good value on a 5.25" component set, this NVX has the woofers, tweeters and crossover at $70.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_72200_NVX-VSP525KIT-Component-Speaker-System.html
You just need the metra 5.25" brackets and tweeter pods fort the dash, and you will be under $200.

I like the idea of running components up front, I'm thinking itll help bring the clarity out to have tweeters on top of the dash. BUT....I suppose one of my concerns is how easy/hard it is to place the crossover box (never seen in the dash to know how roomy it is). Also, you mentioned tweeter pods....you cant mount the seperate tweeters directly to the dash? I'll need some kind of pod to put them in?

I've never heard of NVX, is that a good brand? How would this NVX component stack up next to something like the coaxial Polk marine grade that Chris used to run, or the cheaper coaxial BLAM that were discusses several posts back?

Last edited:
Question on the pillow/poly fill.. I’m replacing both my dash and sound bar speakers on my 02 TJ. 1) should I fill the voids or is this only for sub boxes? If yes, can I use any synthetic pillow the wife won’t notice is missing?

Reactions: skrelnik
I like the idea of running components up front, I'm thinking itll help bring the clarity out to have tweeters on top of the dash. BUT....I suppose one of my concerns is how easy/hard it is to place the crossover box (never seen in the dash to know how roomy it is). Also, you mentioned tweeter pods....you cant mount the seperate tweeters directly to the dash? I'll need some kind of pod to put them in?

You are absolutely correct that the tweeters on the dash up front help out tremendously. My favorite audio upgrade. You can easily fit the two crossovers, I used velcro tape and stuck one on the left side of the dash, and the second towards the center dash. Once you get your hand up there you will figure it out, a good spot, and use that velcro tape stuff, huge help.

For mounting the tweeters you will need a good spot, there are a couple ways, mainly personal preference. I put mine in the a-pillar trim, others mounted to the dash with a pod. These would be the two methods I would choose between.

1596151727480.png1596151786256.png

I've never heard of NVX, is that a good brand? How would this NVX component stack up next to something like the coaxial Polk marine grade that Chris used to run, or the cheaper coaxial BLAM that were discusses several posts back?

I would compare the NVX's to those entry level Kickers, but they are from Cardinal country. The BLAMs come in both component and coaxial, and I would 110% recommend them over those Polks. Now you are in different price ranges though, $70 for the NVX or about double the price for the BLAM 130RS. I would pay up for the BLAMs, but I was trying to stay in your $200 budget, which will include costs for wires/terminals and little things.

NVX is an American brand founded in 2011 and based in Louisville, KY. Naturally, most assume our name is based on the initials of our founder, Nathaniel Victor who founded Sonic Electronix in 2000; however, our history and name are more intriguing. Read on to learn more.

https://nvx.com/about-us
The BLAMs you can get through this site or through Don at:

Phone: 732-572-1969
Cell: 732-921-9046
Fax: 732-572-5508
[email protected]

OR

https://incartec.co.uk/product/BLAM130RS

Thanks for the info about NVX, Id never heard of them so wasnt sure how they stack up against big name brands....how do you think they would match up against these Infinity Reference components? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E8OYS2E/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The Infinity has a lower frequency response and also apparently has a couple different tweeter mounts it comes with. They are now discontinued so you can find the last few cheap $70ish where they originally were around $200.

I like those silver tweeter pods you posted that mount to the dash....where would I find those (dont see them on Amazon).

Thanks for the info about NVX, Id never heard of them so wasnt sure how they stack up against big name brands....how do you think they would match up against these Infinity Reference components? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E8OYS2E/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The Infinity has a lower frequency response and also apparently has a couple different tweeter mounts it comes with. They are now discontinued so you can find the last few cheap $70ish where they originally were around $200.

I like those silver tweeter pods you posted that mount to the dash....where would I find those (dont see them on Amazon).

I think those infinity's are a great buy, and you should also get their 6.5"s in additional to that 5.25" two-way, and you will be in budget. Great hunting job! I would look to install those tweeters first before buying pods, they may suit your needs as-is. I would somehow duct tape it to the a-pillar and see how it would look. If you like it, you're done, if not, the silver pods were on Ebay. Ebay has a bigger selection of the pods.

I think those infinity's are a great buy, and you should also get their 6.5"s in additional to that 5.25" two-way, and you will be in budget. Great hunting job! I would look to install those tweeters first before buying pods, they may suit your needs as-is. I would somehow duct tape it to the a-pillar and see how it would look. If you like it, you're done, if not, the silver pods were on Ebay. Ebay has a bigger selection of the pods.

Do you think the 6.5" Infinity will fit in the bar? I thought it's designed for a 5.25 and only a select few 6.5" will fit. It would be nice to have the same brand all the way around.

You really think they will be better than the NVX / Kicker route?

I'm heading to Ebay to check out tweeter pods.

Do you think the 6.5" Infinity will fit in the bar? I thought it's designed for a 5.25 and only a select few 6.5" will fit. It would be nice to have the same brand all the way around.

You really think they will be better than the NVX / Kicker route?

I'm heading to Ebay to check out tweeter pods.

Infinity is a solid name, and those speakers seem okay. Maybe go Kicker 6.5" and then Infinity upfront. The price is great. These were the specs of my last 6.5", which are slightly bigger than my now current ones. These are Helix P206 speakers. I have pics posted on the forum somewhere of how they look when seated, but they certainly fit.

1596155482085.png

This is what these specs look like:

1596155650035.png
1596155658208.png

Infinity is a solid name, and those speakers seem okay. Maybe go Kicker 6.5" and then Infinity upfront. The price is great. These were the specs of my last 6.5", which are slightly bigger than my now current ones. These are Helix P206 speakers. I have pics posted on the forum somewhere of how they look when seated, but they certainly fit.

View attachment 180530

This is what these specs look like:

View attachment 180531View attachment 180533

Awesome, well I may go with the Infinity all the way around just to have the same sound and tone and they all match. The only bad think about the Infinity 6.5" is I'm not positive if they come with grills....being in the sound bar they really need grills....if they dont, I'll probably jump on the kickers.

Would this be good to use up front? It's like a container they go it but it's like a rubbery silicone flexible material.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039Z3SPW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Awesome, well I may go with the Infinity all the way around just to have the same sound and tone and they all match. The only bad think about the Infinity 6.5" is I'm not positive if they come with grills....being in the sound bar they really need grills....if they dont, I'll probably jump on the kickers.

Would this be good to use up front? It's like a container they go it but it's like a rubbery silicone flexible material.

Those work just fine. I went with the dashpots but that was my fall back. My guess is that the difference in sound would not be noticeable.

Do a search on Ebay for 6.5" speaker grills and you'll find many different ones to choose from. You can find the spacer rings that may help your install as well.

Reactions: skrelnik

Boom mat is good for sure, and I would recommend it for a simple build like this. Once someone starts to spend more money on the speakers then I would recommend the select increment pods, but those are pricey, and I would rather put my money towards something else if I was under a strict budget. Boom mat is good.

I noticed these Kickers go down to 40hz. Do you really even need a sub with these? Will they play 40hz strong and loud? 40hz is really about as low as I need....but I'd like it to be a nice and strong 40hz.