Upgrading the sound system on your Jeep Wrangler TJ

I noticed these Kickers go down to 40hz. Do you really even need a sub with these? Will they play 40hz strong and loud? 40hz is really about as low as I need....but I'd like it to be a nice and strong 40hz.

Kickers are known for that, and why they make a great shallow mount 6.75" sub for our center console.

It can be a strong boom, but it's still a 6.5" if you know what I mean. You can always add something to the center console if you want more boom, so Kicker and those Infinity's sound like your play, and keep you at or below the $200.

For mounting the tweeters you will need a good spot, there are a couple ways, mainly personal preference. I put mine in the a-pillar trim, others mounted to the dash with a pod. These would be the two methods I would choose between.

View attachment 180516View attachment 180517

It appears all these pods are $69+....I'm really surprised at that. I thought they would be more like half that. If I use what the tweeters come with they are more flat with maybe a little angle but certainly the $69 pods that actually direct them at the listener will be far better.....but $69!?....that is as much as the entire front component speaker system! Seems ridiculous that tweeter pods would double the cost of the front system.

It appears all these pods are $69+....I'm really surprised at that. I thought they would be more like half that. If I use what the tweeters come with they are more flat with maybe a little angle but certainly the $69 pods that actually direct them at the listener will be far better.....but $69!?....that is as much as the entire front component speaker system! Seems ridiculous that tweeter pods would double the cost of the front system.

Half the price but check the size of your tweeters vs these.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=264530991107

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
When I purchased my Tj I dropped 1k (this is cad) into a new system. I use a cheap Sony DSX A415BT head unit to power to sets of JBL 9 series 5.25" component speakers which are now discontinued. ( i bought the last 2 off Amazon.ca ) the filters are sitting loosely in the speaker cavities.
Finishing this off i have a shallow JBL 10 in the back which doesn't take up too much space. The sub is powered by a JBL stage amp sitting under the drivers seat.
I have the tweeters sitting in the dash like so.
View attachment 178569
In the sound bare i used boom mat speaker cups and have not yet placed the tweets.
View attachment 178572

View attachment 178573
Overall I am super impressed with the sound. It is super high quality and im not sure how much better it can get in a jeep lol.
I have it tuned to my preference. One thing I will note is the EXTRA BASS button. This is super duper handy for when the windows are down or the roof comes off, so that you dont need to go into the settings to turn it up. As soon as something opens up you lose a bit of the low end and the extra bass is super handy. All you need to do is give it a click and it get significantly deeper. The extra bass has two different volumes. I normally use one with the windows down and 2 with the roof off.

Overall am super super impressed and will recommend a component system to anyone as it will greatly improve not just your sound but the feel and your ride as well👍

View attachment 178566

View attachment 178570

What all did you have to do to mount the tweeters there? Was it just a small hole for the speaker wire or did you need to make a hole the size of the tweeter?

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
What all did you have to do to mount the tweeters there? Was it just a small hole for the speaker wire or did you need to make a hole the size of the tweeter?

This is what the tweeter mount looked like

15961638494967155318174077403087.jpg

I used a hole saw to cut a hole the sam size are the bottom part of the mount. After crimping and dropping the wires through I filed just enough off the edges of the hole that I could just barely force the threads in. I was gonna fasten it with a little glue around the rim but its not gonna come out without damaging the dash.

For the rear I just flush mounted

15961640564507905135705860843890.jpg

I believe the tweeter is 25mm but I'm not sure if that includes the plastic surround or just the actual tweeter. Looks like these pods need at least 40mm.

You need to check the owners manual for the specs, like these are tweeters I have

Screenshot_20200730-225557.jpg

IMG_20200620_135340.jpgIMG_20200620_135707.jpgIMG_20200620_135717.jpgIMG_20200620_135659.jpgIMG_20200624_154330.jpg

Reactions: Xposure
I suppose I will need a mounting bracket to use a 5.25 up front....I knew what I needed for various 4x6 speakers but not sure which bracket will work for the 5.25.

What did you guys use?

Thanks SO much for all the direction! It's been a HUGE help! I've got goodies on the way! :)

I suppose I will need a mounting bracket to use a 5.25 up front....I knew what I needed for various 4x6 speakers but not sure which bracket will work for the 5.25.

What did you guys use?

Thanks SO much for all the direction! It's been a HUGE help! I've got goodies on the way! :)

You seem to like Amazon so Amazon this part number.

http://metraonline.com/part/82-1013
Screenshot_20200730-231521.jpg

This is what the tweeter mount looked like

View attachment 180555

I used a hole saw to cut a hole the sam size are the bottom part of the mount. After crimping and dropping the wires through I filed just enough off the edges of the hole that I could just barely force the threads in. I was gonna fasten it with a little glue around the rim but its not gonna come out without damaging the dash.

For the rear I just flush mounted

View attachment 180556

To make sure I am following you correctly....are you saying you didnt need to use the threaded ring on the bottom side of the dash? You basically made your hole snug enough that you threaded the mount through the dash plastic and it is tight and secure.

Thanks

To make sure I am following you correctly....are you saying you didnt need to use the threaded ring on the bottom side of the dash? You basically made your hole snug enough that you threaded the mount through the dash plastic and it is tight and secure.

Thanks
Thats exactly what I did

What do you guys think about the factory speaker wiring? Is it sufficient? I havent looked at the wiring going to the sound bar speakers but I'm sure it's the same gauge as what's up front.

Initially I was going to just run speaker wire from my amp back to the head unit to tie then into the factory wires back there and run them along side the rca cables I'm running between hu and amp. But now I'm wondering if I really just need to fish speaker cable all over the Jeep and run them directly from amp to speaker. If so, what size speaker wire should I go with? Any suggestions?

What do you guys think about the factory speaker wiring? Is it sufficient? I havent looked at the wiring going to the sound bar speakers but I'm sure it's the same gauge as what's up front.

Initially I was going to just run speaker wire from my amp back to the head unit to tie then into the factory wires back there and run them along side the rca cables I'm running between hu and amp. But now I'm wondering if I really just need to fish speaker cable all over the Jeep and run them directly from amp to speaker. If so, what size speaker wire should I go with? Any suggestions?

For this kind of upgrade your stock wire is sufficient. You should only change if your existing wires have issues, or if they show signs of being 15 years old, like nicks in the wire housing or water damage, etc.

I got to looking at the manual for this old Kenwood head unit in my Jeep and it only has 2 rca outputs a left and right. Would it be fine to use a Y to run them to 4 channels on the amp? Is that going to cause any issues with the rca voltage output? Using this hu is only temporary so just looking for a bandaid to get by with.

Also, do you guys have suggestions on a economical hu that has 4 preouts and a sub out? The hu doesnt really even need power since I'm running a amp. But I would 'like' one that my phone can bluetooth too so that the GPS can talk through the stereo system. I'm researching some but would like to hear you guys thoughts on it.

I got to looking at the manual for this old Kenwood head unit in my Jeep and it only has 2 rca outputs a left and right. Would it be fine to use a Y to run them to 4 channels on the amp? Is that going to cause any issues with the rca voltage output? Using this hu is only temporary so just looking for a bandaid to get by with.

Also, do you guys have suggestions on a economical hu that has 4 preouts and a sub out? The hu doesnt really even need power since I'm running a amp. But I would 'like' one that my phone can bluetooth too so that the GPS can talk through the stereo system. I'm researching some but would like to hear you guys thoughts on it.

I've been happy with the Alpine iLX-W650 head unit. It has the pre-outs you're looking for and is very shallow. It doesn't play disks but I've had it installed for 3 months now and I love it. Once reason I got it was that you can snap on an amplifier to the back of the unit and get 40W RMS ..... I've not done that yet as I've been able to get fantastic results with the unit's 16W RMS and some very low sensitivity speakers. You can find this unit new on Ebay for $279 or so. Crutchfield has it for $299.

I am fan of the Kenwood Excelon HUs. If you are looking for a single DIN with no CD Player, this is a good one at $129.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KMX704/Kenwood-Excelon-KMM-X704.html

Using two Y adapters to connect to a 4 channel amp is completely fine and wouldn't cause any issues expect for one, if you count it as one. Diverting the 2 channels into 4 will take away your ability to fade your speakers which is changing the volume between the front and rear pairs. I also had 2 preamp on my hu and decided against mounting my 4 channel amp in favour of adding a high-power hu in the future.

Using two Y adapters to connect to a 4 channel amp is completely fine and wouldn't cause any issues expect for one, if you count it as one. Diverting the 2 channels into 4 will take away your ability to fade your speakers which is changing the volume between the front and rear pairs. I also had 2 preamp on my hu and decided against mounting my 4 channel amp in favour of adding a high-power hu in the future.

I have both level and frequency range controls for each channel on my amp so if theres any balance issues, I should be able to get it dialed in at the amp.

I may go that route for a little while until more money blooms on the money tree out back.

I am fan of the Kenwood Excelon HUs. If you are looking for a single DIN with no CD Player, this is a good one at $129.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KMX704/Kenwood-Excelon-KMM-X704.html

That does look like a good option and I like the price. I dont need a cd player. I could not find this in the specs....do you happen to know if connected to bluetooth with either android or iPhone, if the voice directions from the phones GPS will come through along with the music? On my truck (factory hu) the music gets quiet and the GPS directions come through.

Thinking more about it, I suppose this is more of a function of the phone to send the GPS directions through with the music.

So should work fine shouldnt it?

That does look like a good option and I like the price. I dont need a cd player. I could not find this in the specs....do you happen to know if connected to bluetooth with either android or iPhone, if the voice directions from the phones GPS will come through along with the music? On my truck (factory hu) the music gets quiet and the GPS directions come through.

Thinking more about it, I suppose this is more of a function of the phone to send the GPS directions through with the music.

So should work fine shouldnt it?

Yes, I believe you would go into the applications setting, like Waze, to control that setting.

The Bluetooth quality is great on these Kenwoods, HD Radio is awesome if you listen to that...equalizer is great in these.