Upgrading the sound system on your Jeep Wrangler TJ

I’ll be adding the kicker 6.75 wired up for 2-ohm load in the console.

Considered the Sony 3200, but was worried by some reviews that mentioned the screen brightness. May compromise to the ILX-407 for wired CarPlay and a good screen, but wireless of the 507 is very tempting!

I am an owner of the 3200 but in a different vehicle, and I can confirm the screen brightness is greatly reduce when sun hits the screen. This 3200 is a resistive touchscreen, which causes that, and also keeps the price down. So it really comes down to budget and personal tolerances. I am okay savning a few hundred as I do not use my 3200 for like offroading, or NAV. SO for me, this was a great choice, but for an offroader, this is not the best choice.

The Alpine you are looking at is capacitive and why it cost a little more. Here is a chart of that SONY XAV line-up[ in case you want to look at others with a capacitive screen, like the XAV5500 would be a good comparison to that Alpine.

1682080307761.png

Here is a simple chart of pros and cons of resistive touchscreens vs capacitive touchscreens:

1682080111415.png

Last edited:
I am an owner of the 3200 but in a different vehicle, and I can confirm the screen brightness is greatly reduce when sun hits the screen. This 3200 is a resistive touchscreen, which causes that, and also keeps the price down. So it really comes down to budget and personal tolerances. I am okay savning a few hundred as I do not use my 3200 for like offroading, or NAV. SO for me, this was a great choice, but for an offroader, this is not the best choice.

The Alpine you are looking at is capacitive and why it cost a little more. Here is a chart of that SONY XAV line-up[ in case you want to look at others with a capacitive screen, like the XAV5500 would be a good comparison to that Alpine.

View attachment 418289

Here is a simple chart of pros and cons of resistive touchscreens vs capacitive touchscreens:

View attachment 418288

I’ve had my eyes on the 5500, and the newer 6000 that has only wireless CarPlay.

Reactions: skrelnik
Thanks for all who contributed to this thread - it's been very helpful. Can someone help me pick the right amp to install in my jeep. Current one in the trunk (Pyle PLMRA420) is way too bulky, I want something small to mount hidden so I have full trunk room with the rear seat folded up and some of my speakers aren't working correctly so I need it fixed regardless. 2004 LJ.

Will Power -
  • Kenwood KMR-M328BT Head Unit (Installed)
  • Pyle Subwoofer in center console (Unsure Model, Installed)
  • (2) Aftermarket Front Speakers (Unsure Model, Installed)
  • (2) Polk DB522 for Sound Bar Speakers (Buying to replace at least one not working)
  • 2x Rockville RWB80B 8" Roll Bar Speakers (installed)

Sorry for the audio noob question. Figured someone here might have a good rec. Want Marine Grade to keep in line with the other speakers and head unit being marine grade, and my jeep gets rained on fairly frequently. Have a buddy that will help install it. Thanks for the help!

IMG_6732.jpg

Thanks for all who contributed to this thread - it's been very helpful. Can someone help me pick the right amp to install in my jeep. Current one in the trunk (Pyle PLMRA420) is way too bulky, I want something small to mount hidden so I have full trunk room with the rear seat folded up and some of my speakers aren't working correctly so I need it fixed regardless. 2004 LJ.

Will Power -
  • (2) Polk DB522 for Sound Bar Speakers (Buying to replace at least one not working)

Sorry for the audio noob question. Figured someone here might have a good rec. Want Marine Grade to keep in line with the other speakers and head unit being marine grade, and my jeep gets rained on fairly frequently. Have a buddy that will help install it. Thanks for the help!

View attachment 430815

FWIW, my jeep gets rained in as well. My amp isn't marine-rated, but it's under the steering column behind the dash and shows no signs of corrosion or anything like that.

Edit: just mentioning this in case you don't find a marine amp that works well for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: PNW_LJ

Will Power -

View attachment 430815

I have a Soundstream 640D mounted under the steering column. It’s a 5-channel. You have six channels. I’d be looking at something like this Alpine.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500RA90S/Alpine-R-A90S.html
Link to more 6-channel options
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-ZGoWw...MI-suAv-Sz_wIVNAGtBh3HpAU1EAAYAiAAEgIBkvD_BwE

Will Power -

View attachment 430815

I bought a Kenwood Excel XM802-5 5 channel marine rated amplifier that would do what you need. I am happy with it, but it's not tiny at appx 7"x10"x2".

Is there a way to fit a small amp and subwoofer in a TJ that doesn't have the factory subwoofer console?

Do I buy a different center console?I have a MT. I'd prefer not to hack my Jeep up as it's all original and mint. I won't let the installers near it.

You could buy a used center console, or have a box built, or use a self powered subwoofer under the seat.

I bought a Tuffy center console and had a box built that holds an 8" slimline woofer. Unfortunately I sold my stock center console else I would offer it up.

Reactions: B1Toad
You could buy a used center console, or have a box built, or use a self powered subwoofer under the seat.

I bought a Tuffy center console and had a box built that holds an 8" slimline woofer. Unfortunately I sold my stock center console else I would offer it up.

Thanks and I did find a thread from July 2021 that you provided some very good information in.

Do I buy a different center console?I have a MT. I'd prefer not to hack my Jeep up as it's all original and mint. I won't let the installers near it.

Slimline 8” in a box under the rear seat.

Self powered 8” under rear ssat.

2 8’s or 10’s in a box behind rear seat.

Hi everyone. This, and other threads, have been very helpful. I’m using them as a guides for my audio upgrade. I appreciate everyones prior comments and thank you in advance for your help as I work through my game plan. Help me spend my money!!

I have a 2004 LJ, soft top, with the original 7 speakers. The PO installed a Kenwood KDC-155U and it’s become unreliable, so I’m looking to upgrade. The center console subwoofer is silent, and I have not dug into the root cause (failed speaker or loose wire or PO didn’t get it set up properly? It may or not be OEM). I want to use Apple CarPlay, wireless would be nice, but not mandatory. I do want to be able to charge devices via a USB. I want to use navigation on the Head Unit. I’m a little worried about it being washed out in the sun / glare with the top down and will I still be able to see it wearing polarized lenses. I plan to use my phone for music via Apple car play. I want a backup camera and am not opposed to a front camera. I want Sirius XM. I want a knob or physical buttons to change the volume while bouncing along the trail. This is my second TJ and while I’ve only been caught in the rain once, I know it only takes once to trash things. So while rain is a consideration, it’s not the number one driving factor. I am open to rain mitigation ideas. I use the space under and behind the seats, so that space is not available for the amp or sub woofer and such. I was planning to spend ~$1k, though I think my plan is already stretching the budget.

My plan is to upgrade the Head Unit and speakers. Here’s what I’m thinking. Does this make sense?

Head Unit
- Double DIN
- Sony XAV-AX6000 ($550)
-or- blow the budget with Kenwood DMX908S ($700)?

Front Speakers
- 4x6 to 5.25 Adapter, the ones that point the speaker up a little.
- BLAM 130 RFC 5.25 speakers ($195 / pair) using the factory grill covers
-or- BLAM 5.25 component speakers ($$$), with the tweeter up on the dash / A-pillar (if I can source a pod and protect it from weather). This would sound much better and be well worth the effort, right?
- I’m not planning on using the 5.25 speaker enclosure. I think I will use foam rings though, that seems simple and easy.

Roll bar Speakers
- BLAM 130 RFC 5.25 speakers ($195/pair) using the factory grill covers
-or- BLAM 165 RS 6.5 ($195/pair) if I can source grill covers. Not sure it’s worth the extra fiddling.
- I plan to apply sound deadener to the inside of the roll bar speaker pod, as best I can. I have poly fill too. Is it worth the effort?

Subwoofer
- if the existing one actually works, I’ll probably keep it and help my budget.
- if the existing one is dead, then maybe a kicker? I know I’d need to modify the center console a little for it to fit.
- either way, I’ll add sound deadener to the inside of the center console. It would sound better and be worth the effort, right?

Amp
- I’ll drive for a while to see if the above game plan is enough, if not then I’ll figure out my options to mount an amp under the steering wheel.

What do you think? Am I missing something? Overkill? Will all this stuff play well together? Are there better options with more bang for the buck?

Thanks,
Kim

Hi everyone. This, and other threads, have been very helpful. I’m using them as a guides for my audio upgrade. I appreciate everyones prior comments and thank you in advance for your help as I work through my game plan. Help me spend my money!!

I have a 2004 LJ, soft top, with the original 7 speakers. The PO installed a Kenwood KDC-155U and it’s become unreliable, so I’m looking to upgrade. The center console subwoofer is silent, and I have not dug into the root cause (failed speaker or loose wire or PO didn’t get it set up properly? It may or not be OEM). I want to use Apple CarPlay, wireless would be nice, but not mandatory. I do want to be able to charge devices via a USB. I want to use navigation on the Head Unit. I’m a little worried about it being washed out in the sun / glare with the top down and will I still be able to see it wearing polarized lenses. I plan to use my phone for music via Apple car play. I want a backup camera and am not opposed to a front camera. I want Sirius XM. I want a knob or physical buttons to change the volume while bouncing along the trail. This is my second TJ and while I’ve only been caught in the rain once, I know it only takes once to trash things. So while rain is a consideration, it’s not the number one driving factor. I am open to rain mitigation ideas. I use the space under and behind the seats, so that space is not available for the amp or sub woofer and such. I was planning to spend ~$1k, though I think my plan is already stretching the budget.

My plan is to upgrade the Head Unit and speakers. Here’s what I’m thinking. Does this make sense?

Head Unit
- Double DIN
- Sony XAV-AX6000 ($550)
-or- blow the budget with Kenwood DMX908S ($700)?

Front Speakers
- 4x6 to 5.25 Adapter, the ones that point the speaker up a little.
- BLAM 130 RFC 5.25 speakers ($195 / pair) using the factory grill covers
-or- BLAM 5.25 component speakers ($$$), with the tweeter up on the dash / A-pillar (if I can source a pod and protect it from weather). This would sound much better and be well worth the effort, right?
- I’m not planning on using the 5.25 speaker enclosure. I think I will use foam rings though, that seems simple and easy.

Roll bar Speakers
- BLAM 130 RFC 5.25 speakers ($195/pair) using the factory grill covers
-or- BLAM 165 RS 6.5 ($195/pair) if I can source grill covers. Not sure it’s worth the extra fiddling.
- I plan to apply sound deadener to the inside of the roll bar speaker pod, as best I can. I have poly fill too. Is it worth the effort?

Subwoofer
- if the existing one actually works, I’ll probably keep it and help my budget.
- if the existing one is dead, then maybe a kicker? I know I’d need to modify the center console a little for it to fit.
- either way, I’ll add sound deadener to the inside of the center console. It would sound better and be worth the effort, right?

Amp
- I’ll drive for a while to see if the above game plan is enough, if not then I’ll figure out my options to mount an amp under the steering wheel.

What do you think? Am I missing something? Overkill? Will all this stuff play well together? Are there better options with more bang for the buck?

Thanks,
Kim

I have an Alpine head unit that you can "snap" on an amp later if you choose.... and the entire depth is less than a typical double din system. Look into those. I love mine.

I have the Blams and love them. I did the poly fill... it's not difficult and I think it was worth it.

I have an Alpine head unit that you can "snap" on an amp later if you choose.... and the entire depth is less than a typical double din system. Look into those. I love mine.

I have the Blams and love them. I did the poly fill... it's not difficult and I think it was worth it.

Thank you, I’ll check out the Alpine ilx650. The price is right that’s for certain. It looks to check many of the boxes. It also looks like all touch screen, no physical buttons, right?

Poly fill, check! :)

Thanks again!

Thank you, I’ll check out the Alpine ilx650. The price is right that’s for certain. It looks to check many of the boxes. It also looks like all touch screen, no physical buttons, right?

Poly fill, check! :)

Thanks again!

It's all touch screen.

I've had it in over 2 years and love it. It doesn't have XM or HD Radio however. I believe they make a unit with those that uses the power stack amp as well.

I like it because you don't have to find another spot for the amp. It all fits in the dash.