• Want to add an app icon for this forum to your mobile device's home screen? Check out this thread to see how.
  • Have an event you want to share? Check out the new forum event calendar and how-to use it in this thread here.
  • To both new members and existing members, please read this thread about posting your topics in the correct sub-forum. It makes my job (and my life) a lot easier!

Upgrading the sound system on your Jeep Wrangler TJ

Caleb Nosak

Hey Chris,

I am wanting to keep the factory head unit, I have a massive cd collection and I prefer the OEM look. Will I lose some performance running the new speakers to the existing wiring?

What are my options on that? Should I run the speakers back to the factory head with new wiring or should I get a 5 channel amp all together?

CTG

We used Chris’s setup with the small amp mounted on the driver’s seat frame and the sub in console. Used a double din stereo with the dash kit. Sounds good.

Reactions: '99WranglerSport

rasband

J.ust E.xplore E.very P.lace
Supporting Member

dbbd1

go away...
Supporting Member
For the dash speakers- Why go with 5-1/4 round (or other size) instead of the stock shape of oval?

skrelnik

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
For the dash speakers- Why go with 5-1/4 round (or other size) instead of the stock shape of oval?
Google said it better than me

A round speaker is more likely to have weight evenly distributed against the Voice Coil and VC Former. This means that you can achieve clearer sound with a round speaker that with an oval speaker. On the flipside, an oval speaker will obviously have more cone area.

dbbd1

go away...
Supporting Member
Interesting...

(I guess that I should have checked the interwebs first)

Willys LJ

TJ Enthusiast
I've got the Kenwood in and going. The stock 7 speaker system sounds a heck of a lot better now. The install kit that came with the radio from Crutchfield made it easy peasy to install and it looks great in there.

While I was busy splicing wires from the Kenwood harness to the adapter harness, I tried out those new fangled shrink connectors with the low temp melt solder in the middle. They work great with my old heat gun on high. Once I got the hang of it, 10 seconds tops from start to finish to splice the wires together and then solder & seal them up.
It sounds even better now that I've recently swapped out the stock rear speakers with a set of Sony XS-R1646 6.5" 4 ways. Big difference back there. Caught 'em on the clearance isle at Wally World for just over $20. Now I'm keeping an eye out on something replace the stock 4" & tweeters up front and the subwoofer.

Ghost

Ok thanks. One more quick question. If my TJ didn’t come with a sub in the console, will the wiring connector that the sub connects to be under the console? Thanks again.

Airjunky

TJ Enthusiast
Ok thanks. One more quick question. If my TJ didn’t come with a sub in the console, will the wiring connector that the sub connects to be under the console? Thanks again.
If you're installing an aftermarket sub, your installing an aftermarket amp too, and not using the OEM wiring anyway.

moab

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
If you put the round Polk speakers in the front do you need a special bracket? How important is a baffle? Can you just stuff it with polyfil and forgo the baffle?

dbbd1

go away...
Supporting Member
If you put the round Polk speakers in the front do you need a special bracket? How important is a baffle? Can you just stuff it with polyfil and forgo the baffle?
Ovals or rounds? You might be able to make the ovals work without a bracket but the brackets make it easier. Round ones would require brackets, homemade or otherwise. I would get baffles too, at least for the fronts. Polyfil for the rears is fine.

moab

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Ovals or rounds? You might be able to make the ovals work without a bracket but the brackets make it easier. Round ones would require brackets, homemade or otherwise. I would get baffles too, at least for the fronts. Polyfil for the rears is fine.
SO either I find brackets for a round speakers in the front. Or just replace them with ovals and use the original bracket. But stuff poly behind the speakers?