Upgrading the sound system on your Jeep Wrangler TJ

Are there some that have noticeably better in quality, connectivity speed, etc?

Quick BT connectivity is something I'd like. It's the one thing about the Clarion M508 that turns me off.

Reactions: PRNDL
If you have any questions along the way, keep asking.

Single or Double DIN?

I recently purchased and installed a Sony AX3200 in an older car. It is an entry level Double DIN....nothing special but has what I needed, Bluetooth and AM FM radio, Sirius. Has a couple near functions, like put your own picture as the wallpaper. It is entry level but solid, and pretty good for a Sony. Has preamp out puts that are awesome when you have a sub, so much better than speaker level connections.

If single DIN, I love Kenwood/JVC and would go for the KDC-X704. Bluetooth 4.2, HD Radio, CD player and 5 volt preamp outputs.

Any specific features you look for in a head unit?

I haven't considered DDin, but maybe I should.

Main features I'm looking for:

1. Quick BT connectivity
2. High voltage pre-amp outs for front, rear, and sub

Anything more is a plus for me, though I do like the idea of touch screen access and maybe hook up a rear camera.

The X704 is on my short list as well, but I absolutely hate that they put an Alexa button on the front panel.

What kind of BT chip does Kenwood use? Are there some that have noticeably better in quality, connectivity speed, etc?

Kenwood used both BT and aptx. This Kenwood 704 is BT 4.2, which is very good.

My Single DIN Kenwood has an aptx chip, and when I stream through the head unit's Spotify app or the aptx chip, it is a night and day difference. Aptx is so much clearer sounding.

Reactions: PRNDL
Great setup. I plan to run the Picasso Nano as well. Where are you going to mount it? Steering column?

Love the underseat sub too. I replaced my factory sub with a cheap replacement, and cant decide long term on the kicker in the console or a custom solution like you're going with.

I'm going to mount the Picasso Nano under the steering column. I'm going to fab up a couple brackets, attach them to a fish filet polymer board that I have and attach the amp to that.

I don't think location is that big a deal for the sub. I wrestled with doing something in the console and just figured it was easy to get more cu ft volume for my sub with a sealed box enclosure under the rear seat. I believe this box is 0.40 cu ft volume and it's dimensions are 24 x 10 x 3" rising to 5", which averages out to 4", and will within the minimum to maximum volume. Tight fit.

Kenwood used both BT and aptx. This Kenwood 704 is BT 4.2, which is very good.

My Single DIN Kenwood has an aptx chip, and when I stream through the head unit's Spotify app or the aptx chip, it is a night and day difference. Aptx is so much clearer sounding.

That could strongly lean me toward a Kenwood head unit. The Sony you have sounds interesting too. I'll check both out.

Reactions: skrelnik

1. Quick BT connectivity

Anything more is a plus for me, though I do like the idea of touch screen access and maybe hook up a rear camera.

A double din may not be for you because they cost a lot to get what you need. As an example, since we have Jeeps and probably drive a lot with no top on, you need to pay up for a capacitive touch screen so the sun does not reduce the image quality of the screen.

I opted for a single DIN in the Jeep for that reason, I did not want to spend a grand on a head unit when a $200 single din gives me everything I need.

That Clarion is good, and the Kenwood I referenced. If you want other options we can explore pioneer and alpine or some off brands.

But if you want to go double DIN I can send you a couple, but they are pricey.

I haven't got my amp and sub installed yet, but here's what I'm doing if interested.

Soundstream Picasso Nano 640D 5-Channel

Kicker L7S84 L7S 8" Sub Dual Voice Coil 4-Ohm

Polks already in dash and soundbar, but I'd go with Kicker KSS series or Blam if I was doing those again.

The box for the sub is built to fit under the rear seat.

View attachment 351330

View attachment 351331

Running that amp under my steering with Polk 6.25s in the tower and 5.25s in dash pods and I’m happy (top down listening to tunes up to 75 mph).

My kicker 6.75 makes me happy as well with the trimmed enclosure dynamatted with spacers between the enclosures to allow for more subwoofer extension (so it doesn’t hit the grill).

Although, I’d prefer better attenuation from the amp’s bass remote knob. I feel like mine is more off/on rather than gradual base. Let me know if your knob works well maybe mine has an issue.

Last edited:
  • USA Proud
Reactions: JMT and skrelnik

1. Quick BT connectivity

I love my backup camera makes backing up far less stressful (especially when kids or pedestrians are around).

Reactions: JMT
  • Love
If you go single DIN and want a camera, you can always go this route. The cost a single DIN plus this would be less than a capacitive touchscreen double DIN.

This is probably closer to $160-$180 if you look up on Amazon, and has a DVR

[URL]https://www.mastertailgaters.c...ps-hd-dvr-recorder-with-superior-night-vision[/URL]

I like the concept just wasn’t confident that my mirror’s wiring (2005) would play nice. I failed to research it bc i found the Joying Android 8.8” (rectangular) deck and fully went that route.

My preferred setup is with Spotify working on my phone and apple/google maps giving directions on my screen. The selectable front/rear cameras override everything except backup for when in reverse. And having Torque Pro is a bonus.

The biggest disappointment is that the glossy/reflective screen prevents any potential usefulness of the front camera in the rocks on a sunny day.

Wrong size shown, but maybe I’ll stack a dozen of something like this to act as my periscope.

52FBAA07-0DAD-4383-A276-67911A7D4E48.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: skrelnik
I have the Kenwood KMM-X704. BT connectivity is the fastest and most flawless I've ever seen on anything. Its automatic when I walk up to the Jeep. Zero fuss or drama. I don't have to do anything or worry about it. And the sound quality on this unit is just crazy good.

I can't find any of these decent Kenwood's available. The KMM-X704 is unavailable unless you want to spend $279. The KMM-X705 is the new model. KDC-BT782 may work, but can't find it either.

What will the difference be between 2.5amp, 4.0amp and 5.0amp preamp out?

Last edited:
I ordered October of last year. Even then I had to hawk the shit out of Crutchfield's inventory and snipe the unit the day they had some available. I think on my 2nd opportunity as prices were raising. I didn't know the 705 was out. I wonder what is new on it.

Ok, I found this one locally. Guy says ias good or better than the KMM-X704.

KDC-X705 for $189. Looks like it has a CD player too. I'll have to see if I saved any of my CD's. Can't imagine now that I threw them out, but in the past that's a strong possibility. I think I'll go pick it up later today unless it's not really that good and you guys shed some light on differences.

I could be wrong but im pretty sure its exactly the same except it plays cds. I own zero cd's in my life now so I didn't need that. The KMM-X704 is 279 on amazon.

I could be wrong but im pretty sure its exactly the same except it plays cds. I own zero cd's in my life now so I didn't need that. The KMM-X704 is 279 on amazon.

Yeah, I don't know where I got the $350 for KMM-x704 on Amazon. Corrected to $279. The other one that is almost $100 cheaper just to delete the CD player, so meh, I can live with a CD player, and if I can find my large collection in the attic, it might be fun to listen to them.

Reactions: MikeE024 and PRNDL
It will be more fun to put them on a USB thumb drive then use them as frisbees and ninja stars as you throw them into a dumpster.

• Haha