Upgrading the sound system on your Jeep Wrangler TJ

I might be interested in the M508 if you want to get rid of it.

Let me think about it. Alternatively, feel free to make me an offer I cannot refuse :LOL:

200.gif

It will be more fun to put them on a USB thumb drive then use them as frisbees and ninja stars as you throw them into a dumpster.

I have every cd I own loaded on a Sony Walkman FLAC player, I bluetooth to the head unit, hit shuffle all tracks and enjoy the music
With 7800 songs I can go for about 20 days and not hear the same song twice
s-l640.jpg

Last edited:
I can't find any of these decent Kenwood's available. The KMM-X704 is unavailable unless you want to spend $279. The KMM-X705 is the new model. KDC-BT782 may work, but can't find it either.

What will the difference be between 2.5amp, 4.0amp and 5.0amp preamp out?

You could call either Don at Unexpected Creations or Dean/Paul at Five Star Audio as they may have those Kenwoods in stock. Usually same price as Crutchfield.

Pre am voltage matters and generally speaking the more volts/power the louder you can play before distorting the sound.
Ok, I found this one locally. Guy says ias good or better than the KMM-X704.

KDC-X705 for $189. Looks like it has a CD player too. I'll have to see if I saved any of my CD's. Can't imagine now that I threw them out, but in the past that's a strong possibility. I think I'll go pick it up later today unless it's not really that good and you guys shed some light on differences.

This is what I have, but the 702 version and I love it. The KMM is more expensive because people these do not want a CD Player...so the KMM (non CD player) has a smaller chassis and secondary USB port. None of this should matter to you and you should go for the KDC model since it is less expensive. CDs do sound good though, but are a PITA if you are a streamer or burn music onto thumb drives.

Reactions: MikeE024 and JMT
You could call either Don at Unexpected Creations or Dean/Paul at Five Star Audio as they may have those Kenwoods in stock. Usually same price as Crutchfield.

Pre am voltage matters and generally speaking the more volts/power the louder you can play before distorting the sound.

This is what I have, but the 702 version and I love it. The KMM is more expensive because people these do not want a CD Player...so the KMM (non CD player) has a smaller chassis and secondary USB port. None of this should matter to you and you should go for the KDC model since it is less expensive. CDs do sound good though, but are a PITA if you are a streamer or burn music onto thumb drives.

I'm a streamer, but I need to start burning music onto thumb drives so I can listen when I'm camping outside of cell service, which oddly enough, keeps happening.

Thanks. I'm going to try to go get the KDC unit today. If I can find my collection of about 200 CD's I can also stick them in our Teardrop Trailer to play through that system. You've been lots of help, as always!

• Haha
Reactions: skrelnik and PRNDL
I just put the 165RC set into a different vehicle. powered by a Sound Digital amp, and it cranks. I cannot believe how loud and clear these BLAMs play, and these are their entry level Series. I picked mine up while on vacation, randomly ran into the Five Star Car Audio shop and picked these up. They have a great YT channel for reviewing products.

[URL]https://www.youtube.com/c/FiveStarCarStereoIncClearwater/featured[/URL]

View attachment 350391

How much were the 165's from them?

I'm a streamer, but I need to start burning music onto thumb drives so I can listen when I'm camping outside of cell service, which oddly enough, keeps happening.

Thanks. I'm going to try to go get the KDC unit today. If I can find my collection of about 200 CD's I can also stick them in our Teardrop Trailer to play through that system. You've been lots of help, as always!

Score! Let us know how it goes. I'm about to pull the trigger on the Kicker KSS components for the fronts.

Reactions: JMT
Score! Let us know how it goes. I'm about to pull the trigger on the Kicker KSS components for the fronts.

Compare those Kickers to the BLAM 130 RS and asking the German guy for BLAM RT20 tweeter pods. Will be the same price as the Kickers and if I was given the option between those BLAM and the Kickers I would go for the BLAMs.

Kicker is good and convenient, but I think BLAMs Relax series is a little better for the price.

Compare those Kickers to the BLAM 130 RS and asking the German guy for BLAM RT20 tweeter pods. Will be the same price as the Kickers and if I was given the option between those BLAM and the Kickers I would go for the BLAMs.

Kicker is good and convenient, but I think BLAMs Relax series is a little better for the price.
I think you nailed it saying they are convenient - I think that's what I'm going with. I have no doubt the BLAMs are better though.

Reactions: skrelnik and JMT
Well my BLAMs are getting delivered today and I ordered them over the weekend, so I'd say that is pretty convenient. Crutchfield takes about the same amount of time to deliver as from the UK.

Well my BLAMs are getting delivered today and I ordered them over the weekend, so I'd say that is pretty convenient. Crutchfield takes about the same amount of time to deliver as from the UK.

That's pretty neeat.

Do BLAMS come with tweeter pods in the box and the German guy just makes better ones?

Any concerns with the BLAMs (or the Kickers for that matter) about being out in the elements? I rarely have the top or doors on in the summer and that occasionally means things get wet.

Nice. Which ones did you get? Did you order from Incartec? I am more than likely going the same route here next few weeks. You guys and Chris have peer pressured me into BLAMS I guess. It was either BLAMS or Kickers or Hertz. I was going to get the kicker L7 in the shallow wedge sub box. Haven't decided on amps yet.

Let me know how they are, or the BLAM’s if you go that route. I spent $500 today. We’ll see how it all turns out. They were helpful and good components.

View attachment 351793

Lots of fun for you!

I don't get their shipping, it is so fast to come from the UK, like 3 or 4 days from the time you send payment.

That's pretty neeat.

Do BLAMS come with tweeter pods in the box and the German guy just makes better ones?

Any concerns with the BLAMs (or the Kickers for that matter) about being out in the elements? I rarely have the top or doors on in the summer and that occasionally means things get wet.

The BLAMS do not come with the pods you would need, they do come with housings. The German guy can make pods for any speaker and why you would need to order pods through him.

Same concern here, I have the doors and top off during the summer as well, but I do put a cover on when I know it will rain. @Rooscooter put his BLAMs in over a year ago, so if he is still around maybe he chime in with durability when exposed to elements. I put my BLAMs in last week so not enough usage to give you a personal opinion, but they will be fine as long as they are not soaked.

Nice. Which ones did you get? Did you order from Incartec? I am more than likely going the same route here next few weeks. You guys and Chris have peer pressured me into BLAMS I guess. It was either BLAMS or Kickers or Hertz. I was going to get the kicker L7 in the shallow wedge sub box. Haven't decided on amps yet.

The BLAMs are 2ohm so choose your amp wisely. All this forum does is peer pressure each other into buying more stuff :)

Reactions: PRNDL
Lots of fun for you!

I don't get their shipping, it is so fast to come from the UK, like 3 or 4 days from the time you send payment.

The BLAMS do not come with the pods you would need, they do come with housings. The German guy can make pods for any speaker and why you would need to order pods through him.

Same concern here, I have the doors and top off during the summer as well, but I do put a cover on when I know it will rain. @Rooscooter put his BLAMs in over a year ago, so if he is still around maybe he chime in with durability when exposed to elements. I put my BLAMs in last week so not enough usage to give you a personal opinion, but they will be fine as long as they are not soaked.

The BLAMs are 2ohm so choose your amp wisely. All this forum does is peer pressure each other into buying more stuff :)

A full cover for the Jeep or cab is ideal, but maybe folks could use a couple baby shower caps or something similar with a stretched opening to cover the BLAM’s. 🤷‍♂️🤔

Last edited:
Reactions: skrelnik
A full cover for the Jeep or cab is ideal, but maybe folks could use a couple baby shower caps or something similar with a stretch to cover the BLAM’s when it rains if they are mounted on top of the dash. Not if they are countersunk in the dash or A-Pillar, though the A-Pillar keeps them out of direct rain. 🤷‍♂️🤔

Great idea for the Pods. Even a zip lock bag would work.

Lots of fun for you!

Hey… Rooscooter is in Phoenix and the elements here are not about water. :cool:. The BLAMS were a great choice for me. I‘ve been in a couple rain storms with the top off however I have the bikini top that wraps over the sound bar so no issues. I used silicone sealant (small bead) when I set the speakers.

No problem with the speakers and I’d buy them again. Hope this helps

Is there a decent waterproof tweeter pod available?

Would you want tweeters as well? You want to search for marine or wakeboard tweeter pods. JL Audio has a set, but you have to find a tweeter that fits. The matching tweeters were discontinued but maybe you can use Google to find the M100 tweeters.

https://www.abt.com/JL-Audio-Billet-Aluminum-Pods-For-Tweeter-Mounting-MTPODM100CL/p/123149.html

Like all JL Audio marine speakers, these pods are built to withstand a real saltwater marine environment and deliver years of enjoyment