Upgrading the sound system on your Jeep Wrangler TJ

Thanks, that’s more or less what I was thinking. Since I don’t have the factory sound bar though, I’m just curious if an aftermarket sound bar is my best option or if there was something else out there that was an even better option.
Depends on what kind of soundstage you prefer. If you want music all around you and over your head, then a soundbar or pods will work. If you prefer more of a concert type sound with the music coming from in front of you then you don't need anything in the rear. I personally fade toward the front with just enough to the pods that the kids get some sound. When alone I prefer nothing to the rear.

Thanks, that’s more or less what I was thinking. Since I don’t have the factory sound bar though, I’m just curious if an aftermarket sound bar is my best option or if there was something else out there that was an even better option.

All I know is that using the setup I did in the factory location, it will blow your mind.

Chris any reason you did not go with the db652 in the bar and the db522 in the dash? I have the 522 in the bar and is fine, but want to move them to the dash and maybe get the 652 in the bar?

Chris any reason you did not go with the db652 in the bar and the db522 in the dash? I have the 522 in the bar and is fine, but want to move them to the dash and maybe get the 652 in the bar?

I thought about this and may still get the DB522s for the dash. I'd like to buy a set and compare them to the 4x6s in there now and see which one sounds better to my ear.

The chances that I'll buy the DB522s are high, in which case I intend to do a comparison and post about it here. Part of me thinks I should of went with them in the first place, but did I really need to? It sounds amazing as it is.

I thought about this and may still get the DB522s for the dash. I'd like to buy a set and compare them to the 4x6s in there now and see which one sounds better to my ear.

The chances that I'll buy the DB522s are high, in which case I intend to do a comparison and post about it here. Part of me thinks I should of went with them in the first place, but did I really need to? It sounds amazing as it is.

Chances are you won't notice much of a difference based on your jeep's configuration (no doors). One thing I noticed when I went doorless, is the loss of some front sound stage due to the loss of the door panel bouncing the front speaker sound up to your ear.

Reactions: JMT
Chances are you won't notice much of a difference based on your jeep's configuration (no doors). One thing I noticed when I went doorless, is the loss of some front sound stage due to the loss of the door panel bouncing the front speaker sound up to your ear.

That makes sense. I really need to get the sound pods for the front speakers. I'm guessing that will make a difference in sound output.

That makes sense. I really need to get the sound pods for the front speakers. I'm guessing that will make a difference in sound output.

I found a set of these on OfferUp for $200. They are on the way. I called select increments and found out they don’t make them anymore. I can’t wait to get them in and see how they fit and sound.

https://flanelo.com/product/select-increments-quad-pod-with-speakers-60402k/

http://www.selectincrements.com/quadpod.html

God Doesn’t Like Ugly!!! That’s Why He Made Me Priddy!!!

Reactions: JMT
I found a set of these on OfferUp for $200. They are on the way. I called select increments and found out they don’t make them anymore. I can’t wait to get them in and see how they fit and sound.

https://flanelo.com/product/select-increments-quad-pod-with-speakers-60402k/

http://www.selectincrements.com/quadpod.html

God Doesn’t Like Ugly!!! That’s Why He Made Me Priddy!!!
I had somebody with a Toyota offer me those for $150. Could never figure out why he had TJ pods in the back of a yoda. Of course, he couldn’t figure it out either.

Reactions: Chris
I was lucky enough to get the front speaker pods @Chase_C 3d printed, look real good and solid...I went to install them and forgot I bought kicker 4 x 6 speakers for the front...before I got the DB522 in the bar pods. Kicker was real big in the JKU arena, but the polks are great for the tj. So I was thinking about moving the 522 to the dash and getting the DB652 for the roll bar?? not sure if that is a good move?

I was lucky enough to get the front speaker pods @Chase_C 3d printed, look real good and solid...I went to install them and forgot I bought kicker 4 x 6 speakers for the front...before I got the DB522 in the bar pods. Kicker was real big in the JKU arena, but the polks are great for the tj. So I was thinking about moving the 522 to the dash and getting the DB652 for the roll bar?? not sure if that is a good move?

Do the DB652 speakers directly fit in the sound bar, or do they require modification?

I have read conflicting answers on a 2005, I have read a "little" dremel work or they will fit but get drilled to the bar and need to use the polk grills as the oem wont fit?

Not sure. My 522s fit just fine with the stock speaker grills, so I'll stick with them! I can't imagine you'd notice much of a difference.

6.5" require either some trimming of the sound pods or just drilling new holes in the plastic and using the new grill covers. the factory 5.25's are recessed in the pods.

Here you can see the recess where the factory speakers would mount. I mounted these 6.5's in place, but wasn't happy about how well they were secured to the pods. I went back to the DB522's and factory grills. Sounds great!
P1040724.JPG

A 6.5 will fit, some need some trimming, others do not. I had to get creative with screw placement with the Kenwoods I run. Honestly, a 6.5 isn't going to give you much more over the stock 5.25. The pod is just to hollow and thin, even when stuffed with polyfil. You want bass, get a sub.

I see a lot of questions about how to get a better sound system from your Jeep Wrangler TJ. People will often dismiss the TJ as being a vehicle with poor sound dynamics to begin with, and while this is true to some degree, I can tell you that the sound system I have in my 2005 TJ Rubicon is absolutely killer, and it didn't break the bank either!

At 65+ on the highway with the doors off and the top off, I can hear the sound loud and clear without any issue at all. I have my subwoofer volume set at 6 (out of 12) and the subwoofer volume on the amp only turned to half way. Yet the bass still kicks like you wouldn't believe!

Here's what I am using for my setup:
Some of the components I bought from Crutchfield, while others I got from Amazon.

But that's it, literally. I mounted the amp underneath the front center console (it's a very tiny amp) and the subwoofer is mounted in place of the factory subwoofer (which some TJs came with). The amp powers the subwoofer alone, and the speakers are driven off the head unit.

This sound system is no joke, I mean it. I was expecting it to be a little better than stock, but I wasn't expecting it to be this good. If you crank the volume all the way up to 35 (the highest it goes), it's deafening.

I highly recommend this setup to anyone who is looking to improve the sound in their TJ without breaking the bank. This is all you'll need, I can promise you that.

So while this isn't a "how-to" guide in terms of installing it, I feel like this is a fantastic setup at a price that won't leave you broke.

Chris, I finally broke down and got the goods, but didn't realize I would need to modify the console/housing for the Kicker sub. While looking it over and trying to figure out what I need to Dremel, I was also a bit mystified by their wiring instructions.
https://www.kicker.com/wiring-diagrams
Do you recall how you wired up the amp and the sub? I have both items exactly as you listed them and am ready to do this but want to make sure I get it right. Any help you can provide is much appreciated.

Chris, I finally broke down and got the goods, but didn't realize I would need to modify the console/housing for the Kicker sub. While looking it over and trying to figure out what I need to Dremel, I was also a bit mystified by their wiring instructions.
https://www.kicker.com/wiring-diagrams
Do you recall how you wired up the amp and the sub? I have both items exactly as you listed them and am ready to do this but want to make sure I get it right. Any help you can provide is much appreciated.

If you bought the exact subwoofer I did, this is the way I wired it:

1-DVC-2-ohm-mono-low-imp.jpg

Thank you. Yes, the exact items you listed are what I got. I'm just puzzled by the 4 wires that went to the factory sub, where do I land them on the amp inputs?

You disregard those wires altogether, they aren't used.

Your aftermarket head unit should have a subwoofer outputs (RCA) where you run new RCA cables from your new head unit to the new amp. That factory wiring that goes to the factory amp isn't used at all anymore.

Reactions: Spaztrick