Upgrading the sound system on your Jeep Wrangler TJ

You disregard those wires altogether, they aren't used.

Your aftermarket head unit should have a subwoofer outputs (RCA) where you run new RCA cables from your new head unit to the new amp. That factory wiring that goes to the factory amp isn't used at all anymore.
DAMMIT!! I just realized I got the stereo amp, not the mono.....

DAMMIT!! I just realized I got the stereo amp, not the mono.....

Oh yeah, you want the mono amp if you're only using it to power one channel (the subwoofer). You could get a 5 channel amp if you wanted to power all 4 speakers plus the amp.

Reactions: Spaztrick
I’m using a stereo amp for my subwoofer. I bridge the output to make it like a mono amp. As long as you don’t go below the amps load rating it will work fine. The load will be half the woofer ohm rating. Positive speaker lead from right positive and negative speaker from left negative. I’ve had it hooked that way to a cheap amp for years with no problem.

Oh yeah, you want the mono amp if you're only using it to power one channel (the subwoofer). You could get a 5 channel amp if you wanted to power all 4 speakers plus the amp.
Back to the drawing board.... I think I'm just going to go mono. Where did you mount your amp?

Back to the drawing board.... I think I'm just going to go mono. Where did you mount your amp?

I mounted it right before the center console shifter area under the carpet. There was just enough room to tuck it under there without it being noticeable.

Reactions: Spaztrick
I’m using a stereo amp for my subwoofer. I bridge the output to make it like a mono amp. As long as you don’t go below the amps load rating it will work fine. The load will be half the woofer ohm rating. Positive speaker lead from right positive and negative speaker from left negative. I’ve had it hooked that way to a cheap amp for years with no problem.
I'm not sure about the amps load. I think better safe than sorry.

Any restrictions on the depth of speakers for the rear speaker bar? Also - what options are there for subs in stock center console location with little modification?

Any restrictions on the depth of speakers for the rear speaker bar? Also - what options are there for subs in stock center console location with little modification?

I didn't measure the rear speaker bar depth, so I can't comment on that. The only sub that works in the center console with little modification is the Kicker CompRT 6.75" Subwoofer.

Is it hard to access the front speakers? This is my first TJ

Hey Chris, sorry i didn't read though the entire thread and this may have been answered but any recommendations for my 1998 Sahara where the stock doesn't include the sub housing? I know there are some small boxes that i can fit in the rear but there is nothing to mount it to since i have it Rhino Lined on the interior and don't want it bouncing around. Appreciate it thanks!

Hey Chris, sorry i didn't read though the entire thread and this may have been answered but any recommendations for my 1998 Sahara where the stock doesn't include the sub housing? I know there are some small boxes that i can fit in the rear but there is nothing to mount it to since i have it Rhino Lined on the interior and don't want it bouncing around. Appreciate it thanks!

If I remember correctly, @JMT had a great solution for a slim mount sub. Hopefully he’ll chime in and let us know what sub that is. It might have been @bobthetj03 too.

Reactions: L-Beez
@JMT mounted a slimline powered sub in his back seat. I put a 8" slimeline sub in my center console. Had to do a little fab work to the console enclosure, but it worked out pretty good for me.
20151122_123055.jpg
20151122_123838.jpg
20151122_130709.jpg
20151122_130722.jpg
20151122_132726.jpg

Ahhh, I was thinking of @JMT then. I did exactly what you did with mine.

Well, sort of. You have the factory sub console, yes? I didn't have the factory sub option, just an empty pocket for storage. I had to seal the top of pocket and reinforce the speaker mounting area for a 8" sub. End result was the same as you though. I powered it with a small amp similar to what you got, and mounted it under the steering column.

Well, sort of. You have the factory sub console, yes? I didn't have the factory sub option, just an empty pocket for storage. I had to seal the top of pocket and reinforce the speaker mounting area for a 8" sub. End result was the same as you though. I powered it with a small amp similar to what you got, and mounted it under the steering column.
Yeah my TJ doesnt have the factory sub console and like you @bobthetj03 i have have an empty space for my center console. I think doing some fab work on the one i have might be the route i need to take because i have the beige interior and it would be a pain trying to find one with the same color scheme. Every audio shop i have taken to seem to scratch their heads anytime i make suggestions to them or any idea's on how to get better bass outside of the sound bar and stock front mount speakers. I do appreciate it though gentleman. Maybe @JMT will have some insight.

Reactions: bobthetj03

Ahh, I didn’t realize that. I had the factory sub, so I already had an enclosure for the subwoofer.

Reactions: bobthetj03