Upgrading the sound system on your Jeep Wrangler TJ

So, I'm getting ready to do the Amp and Sub (Kicker units @Chris recommended). I've already done the head unit. So far so good. Am I missing how the Amp is powered? Crutchfield says I need to run power from the battery. IS this correct? Aside from the amp and Sub, what do I need?
Patch cables from the HU to Amp, I assume some sort of speaker wire from Amp to Sub.
What else?

So, I'm getting ready to do the Amp and Sub (Kicker units @Chris recommended). I've already done the head unit. So far so good. Am I missing how the Amp is powered? Crutchfield says I need to run power from the battery. IS this correct? Aside from the amp and Sub, what do I need?
Patch cables from the HU to Amp, I assume some sort of speaker wire from Amp to Sub.
What else?

I'd recommend buying one of the "Amp Wiring Kits" from Crutchfield or Amazon. I have this one: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_142PA10BX/EFX-PA10BX-Wiring-Kit.html

It includes:

• Positive lead with inline fuse
  • Short ground lead + self tapping screws (you can ground to the tub)
  • 12v lead for your head unit to the amp (this way the amp only powers up when the car is on)
  • RCA Cable - signal from the head to the amp
Edit: To answer the question - yes you want to power from the battery - it's the "cleanest" power and you shouldn't have much/any drain with the 12v power on lead.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drafthorse
Reactions: Drafthorse
I thought about this and may still get the DB522s for the dash. I'd like to buy a set and compare them to the 4x6s in there now and see which one sounds better to my ear.

The chances that I'll buy the DB522s are high, in which case I intend to do a comparison and post about it here. Part of me thinks I should of went with them in the first place, but did I really need to? It sounds amazing as it is.

I'm curious why folks would want to replace the dash 4x6" speakers with circular 5.5" speakers that require adapters to mount. I ended up buying the DB462 which is a direct replacement for the factory 4x6" speaker. Any reason why folks would want the DB522 in the dash instead? More than one person has done this, so I'm wondering if they know something I don't know!

I'm curious why folks would want to replace the dash 4x6" speakers with circular 5.5" speakers that require adapters to mount. I ended up buying the DB462 which is a direct replacement for the factory 4x6" speaker. Any reason why folks would want the DB522 in the dash instead? More than one person has done this, so I'm wondering if they know something I don't know!

Good question, I often wonder this myself.

I suspect that you can possibly get more bass (or sound) from the 5.25" speakers, but I'm not really sure. I was always happy with the 4x6 speakers myself.

Good question, I often wonder this myself.

I suspect that you can possibly get more bass (or sound) from the 5.25" speakers, but I'm not really sure. I was always happy with the 4x6 speakers myself.
More surface area, more mids and low end bass. After that, there are deep arguments for both sides. Bottom line for me was, almost all speaker companies make high end speakers round, so don't fight the market.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris
I see a lot of questions about how to get a better sound system from your Jeep Wrangler TJ. People will often dismiss the TJ as being a vehicle with poor sound dynamics to begin with, .............
Hey Chris,
I'm installing this Kicker subwoofer & amp today
Did you wire the sub in at 1 ohm or 2? And do you stuff the sub box with poly fill too?

Hey Chris,
I'm installing this Kicker subwoofer & amp today
Did you wire the sub in at 1 ohm or 2? And do you stuff the sub box with poly fill too?

If I remember correctly, I wired it at 2 ohm. I definitely used a lot of proyfil, that's for sure!

Reactions: Airjunky
Got the sub & amp installed 👍
I mounted the amp up off the floor on the passenger side, wired into the stock sub circuit. The sub is wired in parallel, 1 ohm, I guess it runs cooler, less draw, 100 watts.
Which, if I was writing this right after I tested it for the first time, I would say it wasn't enough.
But I tinkered with the stereo settings a bit tonight, including downloading Sony's Songpal app on my phone. It has all kinds of EQ, input, etc settings and a WAAAY better way of displaying & controlling things. In the end the system sounds GREAT! The bass is better than I thought it would be. And overall the system sounds way better than I expected. And PLENTY of volume!

I started with a Sony NX5100BT headunit the previous owner had installed. And all stock speakers & sub that wasn't working at all. I added a pair of Kicker 6.5" speakers in the sound bar that I had sitting in the garage. Plus a $19 pair of Rockville tweeters, an $80 Kicker 6.5" sub, a $100 Kicker amp, & a pair of $40 Kicker dash speakers. Plus an $8 handsfree mic. All of which were suggestions from this group. Thanks guys, kudos for system. Can't wait to drop the top & crank it up!

Got the sub & amp installed 👍
I mounted the amp up off the floor on the passenger side, wired into the stock sub circuit. The sub is wired in parallel, 1 ohm, I guess it runs cooler, less draw, 100 watts.
Which, if I was writing this right after I tested it for the first time, I would say it wasn't enough.
But I tinkered with the stereo settings a bit tonight, including downloading Sony's Songpal app on my phone. It has all kinds of EQ, input, etc settings and a WAAAY better way of displaying & controlling things. In the end the system sounds GREAT! The bass is better than I thought it would be. And overall the system sounds way better than I expected. And PLENTY of volume!

I started with a Sony NX5100BT headunit the previous owner had installed. And all stock speakers & sub that wasn't working at all. I added a pair of Kicker 6.5" speakers in the sound bar that I had sitting in the garage. Plus a $19 pair of Rockville tweeters, an $80 Kicker 6.5" sub, a $100 Kicker amp, & a pair of $40 Kicker dash speakers. Plus an $8 handsfree mic. All of which were suggestions from this group. Thanks guys, kudos for system. Can't wait to drop the top & crank it up!
That’s a shrewd way to spend sub $250! Very nice!

Reactions: Airjunky
Is there anyway to utilize the factory subwoofer wiring harness for a new amp and sub or a powered sub? I unsure about wiring the power directly to the battery. Thanks

Is there anyway to utilize the factory subwoofer wiring harness for a new amp and sub or a powered sub? I unsure about wiring the power directly to the battery. Thanks

You can wire the Kicker 2ohm to the factory harness however the performance isn't great. I ran one like that for a while. There's a wiring diagram around here someplace.