Upgrading the sound system on your Jeep Wrangler TJ

I think Tune-it is dead. No option on the new Head Unit.

As I noted in the original post the Alpine does everything I need. Not having HD Radio was the only draw back but for an extra $100+ it wasn't worth it when I can digital radio feeds of just about every station in the nation another way. Yes, you can add the amp to all Alpine units however this is the one you can add it to and still be smaller than almost all other double Din's. That was a driving factor because I didn't want to find another place to mount the amp if I thought I needed it.

If I have a USB connection I'd never use Bluetooth for audio. I installed a USB outlet in the dash (next to the rocker switches for the lockers) and just connect when I get in the Jeep. My phone is a 128GB model so I have all of my downloaded music there and then I also use Spotify, iHeart etc. for additional content.

BTW....What's a CD?.... ;)

Wow, Tune-It never made it. It was a neat platform when I had my Alpine CDE-153, I even remember that model. I sold it on this forum years ago.

Do you have an digital radio app on your phone that you plug into the USB?

I did something similar to you for the rocker switch. Came out okay...works 100%, wish I could have made it cleaner.

1591638487292.png1591638510974.png1591638528119.png

Reactions: Ephry73
Wow, Tune-It never made it. It was a neat platform when I had my Alpine CDE-153, I even remember that model. I sold it on this forum years ago.

Do you have an digital radio app on your phone that you plug into the USB?

I did something similar to you for the rocker switch. Came out okay...works 100%, wish I could have made it cleaner.

View attachment 168403View attachment 168405View attachment 168406
I went a little different route on the USB. On top of adding a connection for the new head unit I also installed a dual "quick charge" outlet where my lighter was.

USB outlet: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NCA9XEI/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Quick Charger: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MMHZDXY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Here's what it ended up looking like:
Unknown-3.jpeg

I looked for a solution for that single blank rocker spot but couldn't find one that I thought would work. I like your improvisation with the rectangular USB outlets. In the end the round one was fairly easy to install with a variable bit. I did have to do some work with the dremel on the backside to get it to seat properly and leave enough room for a future switch.

When I want a POD-Cast or to listen to the radio I use iHeart's app or TuneIn. Between those 2 you can get most radio stations in the US streamed through your iPhone or Android phone.

As I noted in the original post, the improvement in the sound with the stock speakers was surprisingly good. It's taken me a while, but I've been able to adjust the settings to enhance the speakers even more. Pretty impressive what a clean amp will do. Even the sub came alive a little.

I may bolt on the amp in a year or so when I get back to thinking about upgrading the speakers. I think I'll do that at the same time I install sound deadening material under the carpet.

Last edited:
I went a little different route on the USB. On top of adding a connection for the new head unit I also installed a dual "quick charge" outlet where my lighter was.

USB outlet: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NCA9XEI/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Quick Charger: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MMHZDXY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Here's what it ended up looking like:
View attachment 168407
I looked for a solution for that single blank rocker spot but couldn't find one that I thought would work. I like your improvisation with the rectangular USB outlets. In the end the round one was fairly easy to install with a variable bit. I did have to do some work with the dremel on the backside to get it to seat properly and leave enough room for a future switch.

When I want a POD-Cast or to listen to the radio I use iHeart's app or TuneIn. Between those 2 you can get most radio stations in the use streamed through your iPhone or Android phone.

As I noted in the original post, the improvement in the sound with the stock speakers was surprisingly good. It's taken me a while, but I've been able to adjust the settings to enhance the speakers even more. Pretty impressive what a clean amp will do. Even the sub came alive a little.

I may bolt on the amp in a year or so when I get back to thinking about upgrading the speakers. I think I'll do that at the same time I install sound deadening material under the carpet.

I was so surprised that no shop makes a plug and play USB rocker switch. That sent me on a quest to do it that way even though your way is much simpler and readily available. The Jeep guy in me just had to build it.

Our head units are so old and dated that yeah, any minor tweak to this system and you will see a big improvement, and you start off small, the head unit, the subwoofer, the speakers, an amp and before you know it you are in business.

I will say that the most bang for the buck improvement was eliminating the 4x6 from dash coaxial speakers for a 5.25" component set and place the Tweeters on top of the dash or a-pillars. You can get a set with a passive crossover and it is a huge improvement.

I will say that the most bang for the buck improvement was eliminating the 4x6 from dash coaxial speakers for a 5.25" component set and place the Tweeters on top of the dash or a-pillars. You can get a set with a passive crossover and it is a huge improvement.

Interesting.... do you have photos of how you mounted them? I was able to adjust the system to get some decent balance between the sound bar speakers that sit on your head and the dash speakers. They actually sound great but the location of them in relation to the sound bar is more of an issue I believe than the speaker itself it seems.

Interesting.... do you have photos of how you mounted them? I was able to adjust the system to get some decent balance between the sound bar speakers that sit on your head and the dash speakers. They actually sound great but the location of them in relation to the sound bar is more of an issue I believe than the speaker itself it seems.

This is how I mounted the tweeters, and since the soundbar speakers are on top of your head I reduced their gain relative to the front speakers. Another option would be to run the 5.25" and tweeter directly to your Power Pack amp (no passive crossover required and you can mix and match a tweeter with a 5.25"), and then run the overhead speakers off the head unit. It will help balance out the sound. Spend more money on the Tweeter and 5.25", and get an inexpensive yet decent 6.5".

1591655099584.png1591655123151.png

This is how I mounted the tweeters, and since the soundbar speakers are on top of your head I reduced their gain relative to the front speakers. Another option would be to run the 5.25" and tweeter directly to your Power Pack amp (no passive crossover required and you can mix and match a tweeter with a 5.25"), and then run the overhead speakers off the head unit. It will help balance out the sound. Spend more money on the Tweeter and 5.25", and get an inexpensive yet decent 6.5".

View attachment 168483View attachment 168484
I like that! Just bookmarked this for future reference. When I circle back to the sound system I may restart this discussion and get the specifics of how you did this.

Reactions: skrelnik
Here’s a video walkthrough of a stereo install - good for newbies:

And here’s a walkthrough of replacing the factory sub:

And here’s another TJ:

Last edited:
Update, I went with a powered slimline sub for under the rear seat, sprung for the dash pods from sound Increments, and have been waiting for my Polk db522 speakers.
Crutchfield has had them on back order for some time and the customer service rep doesn't have an estimated delivery date... I actually ordered 4 speakers from Car Audio Giants, That was a JOKE>> guess they are no longer in business but you can still order online.... My order status says cancelled and I can't see where I was ever charged but am keeping a close eye on my card....:(
Any other recommendations on speakers within that price range? I am only powering them from my head unit now but might add an amp latter.
Thanks
(PS stay away fro Car Audio Giants!!!!)

Been lurking this thread for weeks to gain some insight on my pending stereo upgrade. I’m at the point where I believe I am overthinking things and it has hindered me from pulling the trigger on purchasing the rest of my components. I recently installed my new head unit (https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500CDE172B/Alpine-CDE-172BT.html?tp=5684) and was wondering if the rest of these items would suffice.
So, let’s have it....... yay or nay.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206CWRT672/Kicker-CompRT-43CWRT672.html
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_530PN5640D/Soundstream-Picasso-Nano-PN5-640D.html
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB652/Polk-Audio-DB-652.html
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB522/Polk-Audio-DB-522.html
I think it will work but not sure.

They have some really nice discounts for father's day as well. Invest in some killmat, dynomat or alike to make sure you get as little as possible vibration transfer on the the mounting surfaces where the sub is going.

They have some really nice discounts for father's day as well. Invest in some killmat, dynomat or alike to make sure you get as little as possible vibration transfer on the the mounting surfaces where the sub is going.

There’s a thread on the subwoofer upgrade on this site that provides a good walkthrough. I covered the outside of the stock sub enclosure with Dynamat and i think it made a big difference.

Reactions: Ephry73
Thanks for the feedback!

I spoke with one of their advisors about the sub and he had no knowledge and doubted the sub would fit. Like I said, I’ve been in this thread for sometime, and I knew from what Chris posted in the beginning that it would fit. I’ve also checked links in this thread to other threads and other intricacies of builds.

I’m pulling the trigger next week.

Thanks for the feedback!

I spoke with one of their advisors about the sub and he had no knowledge and doubted the sub would fit. Like I said, I’ve been in this thread for sometime, and I knew from what Chris posted in the beginning that it would fit. I’ve also checked links in this thread to other threads and other intricacies of builds.

I’m pulling the trigger next week.
Good Luck finding the Polk db522's
let me know if you find a good buy reputable place that has them in stock!