Upgrading the sound system on your Jeep Wrangler TJ

OK everyone, I give up on finding the Polk db522's What is the next best option I'd like to get this system built before the 4th of July.
I am currently running a JVC KD-X240BT headunit, no amp at this time, I have new in the box ready to install, dash pods, a slimline sub for under the rear seat, speaker wire adapters, amp/sub wiring kit, some sound stuffing,
I'm needing speakers for the dash and sound bar and would like to order them ASAP!!
Whats my best choices?

OK everyone, I give up on finding the Polk db522's What is the next best option I'd like to get this system built before the 4th of July.
I am currently running a JVC KD-X240BT headunit, no amp at this time, I have new in the box ready to install, dash pods, a slimline sub for under the rear seat, speaker wire adapters, amp/sub wiring kit, some sound stuffing,
I'm needing speakers for the dash and sound bar and would like to order them ASAP!!
Whats my best choices?
Get the boom mats for the front speakers and the adapter brackets to go with. Make sure you secure everything tightly. A few strips of Dynamat or alike around the mounting surfaces wouldn't hurt.

For the overheads polyfill the bar or pods and add dynamat to the inside of the enclosure to ensure there is very little, if any, vibration transfer.

Get the boom mats for the front speakers and the adapter brackets to go with. Make sure you secure everything tightly. A few strips of Dynamat or alike around the mounting surfaces wouldn't hurt.

For the overheads polyfill the bar or pods and add dynamat to the inside of the enclosure to ensure there is very little, if any, vibration transfer.
What Speakers??
I cant find Polk db522 speakers anywhere that are not on back order.

What Speakers??
I cant find Polk db522 speakers anywhere that are not on back order.

You know, this is the time of the day that I need to start slowing down. I completely misread your post brother. eBay is a good source for good used Audio equipment. As long as the terminals are good and the speaker seals are good the units themselves will last a long long time.

All of the Polk speakers I have installed in my Audis have been open box or used. Not one issue. Kicker is another option.

I am getting ready to replace the front Polk db461 units with the kickers CSC5 ones to see how they sound. The kickers are less sensitive but supposedly produce more sound. I will test this and see which ones I like better.

DB461

For the Kicker Speakers I am using these brackets and boom mats:

4x6 to 5.25" Brackets(Metal)

Boom Mats

The brackets come with bolts and are pretty sturdy. They are also offset, which i think will work for my application.

You know, this is the time of the day that I need to start slowing down. I completely misread your post brother. eBay is a good source for good used Audio equipment. As long as the terminals are good and the speaker seals are good the units themselves will last a long long time.

All of the Polk speakers I have installed in my Audis have been open box or used. Not one issue. Kicker is another option.

I am getting ready to replace the front Polk db461 units with the kickers CSC5 ones to see how they sound. The kickers are less sensitive but supposedly produce more sound. I will test this and see which ones I like better.

DB461

For the Kicker Speakers I am using these brackets and boom mats:

4x6 to 5.25" Brackets(Metal)

Boom Mats

The brackets come with bolts and are pretty sturdy. They are also offset, which i think will work for my application.
Thanks I might give kickers a try

Whats my best choices?

if I had to do it again, I'd probably go with Audison Primas based on Dean's comments here:

I liked my Kicker Resolutions back when I had them in my 4 Runner. They definitely were loud!
I went with Polk in the Jeep , because of all the posts about them, so far they're pretty good.

update, I received my Kicker 5.25 already and got them installed yesterday evening and although they sound ten times better than my old stock speakers I must admit I'm not blown away....
I will spend the next couple nights installing the Rockville powered sub and decide from there if I want to amp the four kicker speakers.
D

Reactions: 04solartj
Are you guys using the boom mats / pods in the sound bar? I'm going to use pods in the fronts but wondering if you all are doing the same in the sound bar? Also, are you putting polyfill inside the pods?

Are you guys using the boom mats / pods in the sound bar? I'm going to use pods in the fronts but wondering if you all are doing the same in the sound bar? Also, are you putting polyfill inside the pods?
I used the Select Increment pods in the dash, I thought they were a little pricey but very easy to install, and I packed the overhead sound bar with poly fill.
I was able to get my sub installed last night (Rockville 10" Powered Sub) and WOW what a difference that made!!
I have not had it out on the Highway yet but setting in the garage she sounds very nice!
I'm still playing with the controls on the head unit and I'm more than confused as to what I'm doing but will surely figure it out! LOL

Last edited:
I used the Select Increment pods in the dash, I thought they were a little pricey but very easy to install, and I packed the overhead sound bar with poly fill.
I was able to get my amp installed last night (Rockville 10" Powered Sub) and WOW what a difference that made!!
I have not had it out on the Highway yet but setting in the garage she sounds very nice!
I'm still playing with the controls on the head unit and I'm more than confused as to what I'm doing but will surely figure it out! LOL
Thanks for the response! Yes, I ordered the select increment pods for the dash... i figured that would be a good idea. I decided to order the boom pods for the sound bar, as I figure it's only a 10 dollar gamble. If they don't fit, no big loss. Looking forward to receiving everything and putting it all in!

Thanks for the response! Yes, I ordered the select increment pods for the dash... i figured that would be a good idea. I decided to order the boom pods for the sound bar, as I figure it's only a 10 dollar gamble. If they don't fit, no big loss. Looking forward to receiving everything and putting it all in!

On those Select Increment pods I used Boom Mat (equivalent to Dynamat) as a gasket, it helps with the seal.

1593531334948.png

My sound bar previously had polyfill, but no no longer does, I just installed new 6.5"s in the pods and I like how they sound in my set-up. They are amplified, and powered by a Kenwood head unit. Solid 6.5"s and significantly better than the Polks.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-1AJMnxPiP5D/p_975E6X/Helix-Esprit-E6X.html

I was able to get my amp installed last night (Rockville 10" Powered Sub) and WOW what a difference that made!!
i am still waiting on my kicker cs series 5.25 and 6.5 to arrive tomorrow i put the new head unit in a month or so ago a jvc unit..i am looking into sub install still i haven't decided which setup I'd like

Reactions: Ephry73
i am still waiting on my kicker cs series 5.25 and 6.5 to arrive tomorrow i put the new head unit in a month or so ago a jvc unit..i am looking into sub install still i haven't decided which setup I'd like

After going both routes, I prefer a single amplifier, at least 5 channel over the self powered sub.

Grab that Kicker 6.75" and a nice 5 channel amp like this one. If you are good with a dremel and can get creative, you can fit an 8" shallow mount in the center console, I currently have an 8" in my center console.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_94247_Cerwin-Vega-B55.html

Took the jeep out for a test cruise last night, at highway speeds with the top off and the windows down I was still able to hear the music very well in the front not quite as good in the back but a whole lot better than before.
THEN after less than one hour of road time the sub stopped working... when i got home and lifted the rear seat the Rockville sub had a green power light but no sound and was hot enough to cook dinner on!!!!
I quickly pulled the fuses and put a fan on it to help cool it off. Once it was cool I checked all the connections and the ground (no problems found) plugged it back in and Nothing....
Any Ideas???
Guess I will contact the seller through Amazon and see where this gets me. :(

Took the jeep out for a test cruise last night, at highway speeds with the top off and the windows down I was still able to hear the music very well in the front not quite as good in the back but a whole lot better than before.
THEN after less than one hour of road time the sub stopped working... when i got home and lifted the rear seat the Rockville sub had a green power light but no sound and was hot enough to cook dinner on!!!!
I quickly pulled the fuses and put a fan on it to help cool it off. Once it was cool I checked all the connections and the ground (no problems found) plugged it back in and Nothing....
Any Ideas???
Guess I will contact the seller through Amazon and see where this gets me. :(

How is it being powered, to the battery or fuse box? What gauge wire was used for both the ground and power?