Upgrading the sound system on your Jeep Wrangler TJ

Yes, I believe you would go into the applications setting, like Waze, to control that setting.

The Bluetooth quality is great on these Kenwoods, HD Radio is awesome if you listen to that...equalizer is great in these.

That's good to hear. I'll probably go with that one you showed me...it should do everything I need.

Do you have a good suggestion for a grounding point that is close for a amp being mounted either under the back seat or in the 'trunk' area?.....Did a search and it seems the consensus is that any bolt/stud on the tub is fine.

Last edited:
That's good to hear. I'll probably go with that one you showed me...it should do everything I need.

Do you have a good suggestion for a grounding point that is close for a amp being mounted either under the back seat or in the 'trunk' area?.....Did a search and it seems the consensus is that any bolt/stud on the tub is fine.

Agreed, any bolt stud on the chassis/tub is fine, just scrape some paint off the tub around where the bolt makes contact.

Is this amplifier for powering a subwoofer in the back?

Reactions: Xposure
Agreed, any bolt stud on the chassis/tub is fine, just scrape some paint off the tub around where the bolt makes contact.

Is this amplifier for powering a subwoofer in the back?

Well I was going to install a 4 channel amp I have from a previous vehicle to power the dash and bar speakers. Then I was going to also look into a slim powered sub to stuff somewhere in the back. So I would be running cables for 2 amps....or maybe just running a single set of cables that Y under the back seat to support both the amp and powered sub.

Last edited:
Well I was going to install a 4 channel amp I have from a previous vehicle to power the dash and bar speakers. Then I was going to also look into a slim powered sub to stuff somewhere in the back. So I would be running cables for 2 amps....or maybe just running a single set of cables that Y under the back seat to support both the amp and powered sub.

You may be able to install that 4 channel amplifier under the steering column, which makes running the wires shorter and easier. What are the size dimensions of your amp?

IMG_20200519_151010.jpgIMG_20200519_151102.jpg

You may be able to install that 4 channel amplifier under the steering column, which makes running the wires shorter and easier. What are the size dimensions of your amp?

View attachment 181250View attachment 181251

I'll look into that. I dont have the amp with me but I'd say it's a little over a foot long. I'll have you get the amp out of storage and see if itll work there....if so, that would be nice....I've been a bit worried about it getting wet if on the floor. I've even thought about getting a plastic storage bin that's just big enough and cutting it to be like 1" tall and setting the amp in it, in attempt to keep it away from moisture.

Last edited:
It looks like the sound bar speaker wires (and dome light) run up that drivers side roll bar that's right behind the drivers seat.

I was thinking I may tap into them somewhere along the roll bar with speaker wire coming from the amp.

Does anyone happen to know the wire coloring for each bar speaker and which is positive and negative?

It looks like the sound bar speaker wires (and dome light) run up that drivers side roll bar that's right behind the drivers seat.

I was thinking I may tap into them somewhere along the roll bar with speaker wire coming from the amp.

Does anyone happen to know the wire coloring for each bar speaker and which is positive and negative?

Does this match to yours. I think you have a 1999.

Screenshot_20200808-170313.jpg

What all did you have to do to mount the tweeters there? Was it just a small hole for the speaker wire or did you need to make a hole the size of the tweeter?

When you drilled your hole did you happen to notice how far forward you could have drilled it without getting into the air vent ducting?

I'd like to upgrade my head unit! I would lose my lifetime satellite if I replaced my factory stereo. :( Think I could have a decent system with a factory head unit?
J got an alpine that cane with a preamp and it lit up the sound system I have kickers and everything is much more clear

Is it better to go with the 6.5 in roll bar and 5.25 in dash or the 5.25 in roll bar with either 4x6 or 4 inch speakers in the dash

If you read back on the last couple pages I just installed 5.25 in dash and 6.5 in bar....sounds fantastic. I can finally hear the stereo! Even at 70 with the windows down I can hear it clearly! I think using components up front so you can mount tweeters on top of the dash, makes a huge difference. Seems to help with hearing the music clearly in spite of all the vehicle noise.

The 5.25/6.5 requires small modifications...there is a thin metal piece you have to cut out to fit the 5.25, plus a bolt on adapter you'll need to buy. And you will need to drill mounting holes for the 6.25 screws. But that's all easy. If I was replacing them all anyway I'd go bigger....it wont cost hardly any more. The only consideration is that being bigger, you may want a small amp for them. *edit* I see you have the alpine with a amp so you should be good to power the 5.25/6.25

I'm also using a cheap Rockville 10" power sub under the back seat and it sounds great and adds a lot of strength to the music. (I didnt have the center console sub).

Last edited:
If you read back on the last couple pages I just installed 5.25 in dash and 6.5 in bar....sounds fantastic. I can finally hear the stereo! Even at 70 with the windows down I can hear it clearly! I think using components up front so you can mount tweeters on top of the dash, makes a huge difference. Seems to help with hearing the music clearly in spite of all the vehicle noise.

The 5.25/6.5 requires small modifications...there is a thin metal piece you have to cut out to fit the 5.25, plus a bolt on adapter you'll need to buy. And you will need to drill mounting holes for the 6.25 screws. But that's all easy. If I was replacing them all anyway I'd go bigger....it wont cost hardly any more. The only consideration is that being bigger, you may want a small amp for them. *edit* I see you have the alpine with a amp so you should be good to power the 5.25/6.25

I'm also using a cheap Rockville 10" power sub under the back seat and it sounds great and adds a lot of strength to the music. (I didnt have the center console sub).

Did you mount tweeters on top of the dash? If yes post some pics...

Did you mount tweeters on top of the dash? If yes post some pics...

I was just fixing to make a post thanking you for all the advice! Stereo sounds GREAT!

Tweeters are the only thing not complete....I wanted to see how they sounded without a forward facing pod before I bought the pods, so I installed them temporarily. Basically just have them taped down to see if they sound good dash mounted. They sound great so I'm just going to dash mount them....maybe tomorrow if I get time.

Reactions: skrelnik
I was just fixing to make a post thanking you for all the advice! Stereo sounds GREAT!

Tweeters are the only thing not complete....I wanted to see how they sounded without a forward facing pod before I bought the pods, so I installed them temporarily. Basically just have them taped down to see if they sound good dash mounted. They sound great so I'm just going to dash mount them....maybe tomorrow if I get time.

Glad to hear, and great call taping the tweeters to the dash for testing.

What speakers did you end up with, the the Kicker 5.25" components?

Glad to hear, and great call taping the tweeters to the dash for testing.

What speakers did you end up with, the the Kicker 5.25" components?

No, since you told me the Infinity's I found on deep sale for the dash would be good, I just did their matching 6.5" in the bar. So its Infinity Reference all the way around....component in dash and composite in bar. Since I added in a sub I've got the crossover for all the smaller speakers at 90hz and the sub going up to 100hz. So the small speakers arent playing anything low, they are sounding great, the highes are real smooth and clear....even cranked up very very loud they dont sound harsh.

Reactions: Silverado
No, since you told me the Infinity's I found on deep sale for the dash would be good, I just did their matching 6.5" in the bar. So its Infinity Reference all the way around....component in dash and composite in bar. Since I added in a sub I've got the crossover for all the smaller speakers at 90hz and the sub going up to 100hz. So the small speakers arent playing anything low, they are sounding great, the highes are real smooth and clear....even cranked up very very loud they dont sound harsh.

That's right, those were insanely well priced, I love finding stuff like that. Great speaker, and even better at that price.

Good call on the sub crossover, and which crossover are you using for your front 5.25" component speakers, the Infinity one? The 6.5" I assume are the coaxial and composite was a typo? Are they cut at 90 from the head unit? I can't recall if you have an amp...

That's right, those were insanely well priced, I love finding stuff like that. Great speaker, and even better at that price.

Good call on the sub crossover, and which crossover are you using for your front 5.25" component speakers, the Infinity one? The 6.5" I assume are the coaxial and composite was a typo? Are they cut at 90 from the head unit? I can't recall if you have an amp...

Yes, coaxial....composite was a typo or who knows, maybe my brain just tripped out for a second. Lol.

So the 5.25" do have crossovers and I am using those so the sound is split correctly between the 5.25 and tweeter. But I decided to cut the low freq off a little higher than the crossover does. I think the crossover let's the 5.25 go down to 67hz.

My 16yr old son will be driving this too and I know he is going to want to throw on some rap and turn the bass up and have it loud. I was worried if those little 5.25 are trying to reach all the way down to 67hz that they may get damaged. I've got the gain down on the amp but its 150wpc RMS ...which is a lot more than the little speakers are rated for (65RMS) so I thought I'd take a little of the low end out of them since I have the sub.

Do you have any thoughts on that?

Reactions: skrelnik
Oh and yes, I was cutting the extra freq out with the HU. The amp also has crossover but it's hard to tell exactly what frequency so I'm basically not really using the amps crossover and doing it from the HU instead. Plus it's a lot easier to fiddle with it and adjust it on the fly from the HU vs amp.