Upgrading the sound system on your Jeep Wrangler TJ

Reactions: Apparition
Found them here:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...oofer-to-my-tj-but-which-one.6797/post-442465

Thanks for the tip 🙃

Is there a trick to getting that zipper open and zipped back up? I didn’t see anything obvious when I took a glance at it earlier.
I was about to go out and take more pics, but looks like you found it. There’s no trick to the zipper, but it may be stubborn due to dust and just being old and unused. You can always spray some silicone or wd-40 on the zipper to try to get it moving again. I think I ended up cutting that cloth off, since mine had a tear. Sub is still doing well and I still love the setup.

Reactions: __steve__
I was about to go out and take more pics, but looks like you found it. There’s no trick to the zipper, but it may be stubborn due to dust and just being old and unused. You can always spray some silicone or wd-40 on the zipper to try to get it moving again. I think I ended up cutting that cloth off, since mine had a tear. Sub is still doing well and I still love the setup.
I was able to get the zipper open. This is what I am seeing in there:

DEB6F7F2-4657-441F-917D-D016FB200998.jpeg

EC6ECCF7-0F25-4E2A-BBCF-CE5277597505.jpeg

It’s a metal base with a thick cushion sitting on top. Is this what you started with? Looking at your picks I was thinking I could slide some wood between the metal and foam and mount to the wood but it wouldn’t really add any clearance and I’m pretty sure there wouldn’t be enough space between the seat and floor.

I was able to get the zipper open. This is what I am seeing in there:

View attachment 213607
View attachment 213608

It’s a metal base with a thick cushion sitting on top. Is this what you started with? Looking at your picks I was thinking I could slide some wood between the metal and foam and mount to the wood but it wouldn’t really add any clearance and I’m pretty sure there wouldn’t be enough space between the seat and floor.
No, your 97’ must be different than my 05’. Sorry, if you can’t see a way to mount it between the foam and bars then it probably won’t work.

Hello everyone! Interesting thread and glad I found this place!

I own a 2005 TJ Rubicon. Previous owner did not take great care of the vehicle and I'm working to fix a lot of that. The sound system in this Jeep is sub optimal.

The PO installed an Alpine CDE-153BT head unit. The sub was not working or blown and all the settings on the head unit were jacked up. I did a little bit of research on the subwoofer replacement and that was the first thing I replaced. I watched YouTube videos on how to do it and found this sub to use:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019WYPLIA/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I didn't want to replace the factory amp because I'm not confident in my wiring abilities (or lack thereof). I had a little trouble getting the sub to fit in the box. I removed the plastic ribs without any problems. The sub has these flanges that prevented me from seating the rim of the sub into the opening in the box. So I had to modify the opening some to get it to fit. I also had to modify the plastic cover for the amp to be able to accommodate the magnet. I finally got the sub seated correctly and it works with the factory amp. Victory! Yeah, not quite.

Even with the sub working and the settings on the head unit adjusted, the speakers in the speaker pods are very high-pitched with no bass. The sub doesn't make that much difference unless whatever music is playing really bumps. Even then the pod speakers don’t sound good.

Now, occasionally I do some things that aren't very smart. This might be one of them. Instead of doing some research to replace the speakers in the existing pods, I went ahead and bought this sound bar thinking that 6 speakers are better than 2 (even with the mixed reviews):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MIT5VA/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Here is the issue I have now...the current speaker pods are wired separately with each pod having its own wiring harness. The speaker bar only has one harness. It did come with the wires to run to the head unit but I really didn't want to have to pull the head unit to re-wire for this speaker bar. Additionally, the wiring looks really cheap. I have this sinking feeling that if I use this sound bar that I'll be opening Pandora's box and have to replace the component speakers and redo the wiring.

Has anyone changed out the pods for a sound bar like this? I’m open to suggestions..

I have been reading these post and just wanted to let you all know what my setup is. Now don't get me wrong this is not the best system ever, but in my 2001 TJ Sport on the highway at 70-75 top down doors left at home, I can hear it clear and loud. As a matter of fact I have people in cars on the highway next to me can hear it.

Pyle 6.5 Inch Mid Bass Woofer 18.99 amazon almost a direct fit in factory sub in center
console screw holes did not quite match.
Pyle Hydra Marine Amplifier Upgraded Elite Series 400 Watt 4 Channel Audio Amplifier 40.99 i mounted under the rear seat
4x Polk Audio DB521 5.25 Inch Coaxial Marine speakers 147.49 amazon 2 in the speaker bar 2 in dash with adaptor.

Alpine UTE-73BT head unit 99.95 crutchfeild
also used speed (9) wire and 10 gauge amp install kit around 30. 00 together
all said it's under 400.00 and sound good

IMG-0401.jpg

unnamed.jpg

IMG-0402.jpg

IMG-0403.jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

IMG-0404.jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (3).jpg

I have been reading these post and just wanted to let you all know what my setup is. Now don't get me wrong this is not the best system ever, but in my 2001 TJ Sport on the highway at 70-75 top down doors left at home, I can hear it clear and loud. As a matter of fact I have people in cars on the highway next to me can hear it.

Pyle 6.5 Inch Mid Bass Woofer 18.99 amazon almost a direct fit in factory sub in center
console screw holes did not quite match.
Pyle Hydra Marine Amplifier Upgraded Elite Series 400 Watt 4 Channel Audio Amplifier 40.99 i mounted under the rear seat
4x Polk Audio DB521 5.25 Inch Coaxial Marine speakers 147.49 amazon 2 in the speaker bar 2 in dash with adaptor.

Alpine UTE-73BT head unit 99.95 crutchfeild
also used speed (9) wire and 10 gauge amp install kit around 30. 00 together
all said it's under 400.00 and sound good

View attachment 215096

View attachment 215097

View attachment 215099

View attachment 215100

View attachment 215101

View attachment 215102

View attachment 215103

View attachment 215104
Looks good! I am torn between looking for budget sound so nobody is bothered to steal it, or go bigger. I bet the sound is very close to higher end build considering the road noise.
PS not scared to spend the cash, just hate to be violated by thieves.

Looks good! I am torn between looking for budget sound so nobody is bothered to steal it, or go bigger. I bet the sound is very close to higher end build considering the road noise.
PS not scared to spend the cash, just hate to be violated by thieves.
So don't do anything.
I did it, spent maybe $400, sounds great, never regretted it, drove the Jeep for 6 months with no top on it & no one has touched it.

My factory stereo won’t play cds anymore and I’d like the ability back. Along with maybe Bluetooth. Is there a specific brand of head unit/stereo that is better than others? Any to stay away from? I have always either had a Kenwood or Sony, but there was no real reason.

I put an Alpine in mine and I'm really happy with it, I went for a non-CD unit because I have all my music on a Sony MP3 that I run through bluetooth
Got everything from Crutchfield including their harness assembly service, made installation a breeze

Reactions: TWiG01
I put an Alpine in mine and I'm really happy with it, I went for a non-CD unit because I have all my music on a Sony MP3 that I run through bluetooth
Got everything from Crutchfield including their harness assembly service, made installation a breeze
I was browsing Crutchfield and there are so many options. I have a sizeable cd collection that I should convert to MP3, but for some reason I still enjoy putting in a cd. Thanks!

CD's get too scratched up in an automotive environment, that's why I put them all on the Sony MP3, shuffle-all tracks and I have 20 hours of un-interrupted music