Upper rear spring bucket relocation?

grr

Supporting Member
So I installed a Savvy GTS a couple of years ago. I didn’t have a BL at the time so I had to use the upper set of holes which causes it to hang lower losing a little ground clearance. I have since added a 1.25” BL so now I want to raise the skid up. Since I have to drop the tank anyway I was thinking of centering my upper spring perches while I had the tank loose. I know it doesn’t hurt anything the way it is but someday I may want to outboard the rear shocks. I have already done Blaines’ rear caliper flip which makes some room for the outboard. Just another step in that direction. Are there other reasons to do it or not do,it?

I have seen those. I am looking to cut the OE perches off and moving them.
That is the best way if you can salvage your perches. If you carefully remove them and then cut the part of the u off that sticks out past the round part of the perch until it is even, you can weld that back in and it will net zero gain in lift height. That also allows you to center the perch perfectly in the arch. If you look at the top of the frame, there is a hole that is dead center in the arch. We use that to position the perch and get it flat and centered.

We smack the side of the u back closed up a bit more than when we removed them so we don't have to clamp them in place to hold them in position. After they are positioned, we put a chunk of wood between the lower and upper perch and jack the axle up to force the lower part of the u flat to the frame and make sure it is up all the way tight.

I would caution you that when we do this, we are also doing an outboard job most of the time and we don't weld the perch in until the outboard mount is done because the back of the perch makes it too hard to weld the front lower part of the mount on the bottom of the frame.

I would caution you that when we do this, we are also doing an outboard job most of the time and we don't weld the perch in until the outboard mount is done because the back of the perch makes it too hard to weld the front lower part of the mount on the bottom of the frame.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this advice. I think I will wait until I am ready to outboard to move the perches.

That also allows you to center the perch perfectly in the arch. If you look at the top of the frame, there is a hole that is dead center in the arch. We use that to position the perch and get it flat when we removed them so we don't have to clamp them in place to hold them in position.
Removed my oem rear upper spring perchs on my 06 LJ. Now at full stuff it Seems to line up with the bumpstops well if i relocate the uppers about 1" forward of the hole in the frame, instead of centered on that hole, could that be an LJ thing?