Urgent Clutch Help!

Slaverson

Replacing clutch in my 05 LJ 6 speed. Finally got to undoing all the bolts on the bell housing and it won't come apart. I peek around the cover to see if I can pull them apart and I notice this random sleeve/tube sticking through one of the bolt holes. I have triple-checked and all bolts have been removed. What the **** is this stupid tube.
IMG_4282.jpg

Whatever that post is, it's not letting me pull apart the transmission and the engine.

Anything helps! Thanks

Those are locating dowels. Spray some Kroil on them and work the transmission up & down. That should walk it off the dowels.

Reactions: Akitadog and Chris
That problem is always caused by the jack not having the transmission at the right angle. Sometimes it slides right out with the very slightest adjustment to the jack height/transmission angle. SMALL adjustments until it slides out.

Same with reinstalling it. Whatever you do don't try to pull it into place when reinstalling it with its mounting bolts! That can bust the threads and that'll ruin your whole day.

Sometimes the tiniest amount of jack height difference like +/- 1/16" to 1/8" is enough.

my engine/trans connection was factory original but it still needed some persuasion (rocking back and forth) to get it to come loose even using a behemoth of a transmission jack

Reactions: Jablinski
you sure you got all the bolts? first time I had mine off it was fairly easy going, second time I fought what I thought was sticking dowels for a while until I realized I missed the coarse thread bolts securing the flex plate to the trans on the engine side. your almost all the way off the dowel though.

Reactions: JMT
you sure you got all the bolts? first time I had mine off it was fairly easy going, second time I fought what I thought was sticking dowels for a while until I realized I missed the coarse thread bolts securing the flex plate to the trans on the engine side. your almost all the way off the dowel though.
Anything with a clutch isn't going to have a flex plate.

Replacing clutch in my 05 LJ 6 speed. Finally got to undoing all the bolts on the bell housing and it won't come apart. I peek around the cover to see if I can pull them apart and I notice this random sleeve/tube sticking through one of the bolt holes. I have triple-checked and all bolts have been removed. What the **** is this stupid tube.
View attachment 310624
Whatever that post is, it's not letting me pull apart the transmission and the engine.

Anything helps! Thanks
It has to pull apart square and go back together the same way. Learn that now or get your ass kicked trying to stab it all back together.

Anything with a clutch isn't going to have a flex plate.
no no no.. I mean the dust shield or spacer sheet metal plate between the engine and trans. ive always called it a flex plate but I dont know the proper term. Blane, what is the proper term for it? index plate? I see terms for it all over the place.

Not sure, we call them motor plates which I'm sure is wrong.
I tell my apprentice carpenters- please say “hammer” and not “pounder thingy” in front of the customer...😆😆