Used Warn winch, vs new Warn VR winch, vs new Chinese winch

jazz-n-tj

TJ Enthusiast
As the thread states I am planning on getting a winch. I would like to apologize for another winch thread. I have read every winch thread I could find but would like to get some opinions on my exact situation. I have not needed a winch up to this point but I know eventually I will and I will kick myself if I don't have one. With that said I have narrowed my search down to 4 winches. I am going to go with a winch with synthetic rope. Here are my options:

Option 1:
Used Warn 9.5TI He is firm at $800-I have talked with the person selling the winch but have not seen it in person yet. I have seen pictures and it does look brand new. He states he only used it to pull his FJ into the garage a few times. He states that he never used it for any hard pulls. He just put a new Warn Synthetic rope that that has never been used. He states he bought the rope to put on and use but ended up selling his FJ before he used it. I know from reading that I should check the Fairlead for burs, since the winch was originally used with a steel cable. Obviously he states that it has barely been used but you always have to take that with a grain of salt.

If I do go with it, should I know or look for anything else on a used Warn winch?

Option 2:
New Warn VR-10S A bit over $800. I called Warn and they said that it was a far less quality winch in every way from the 9.5TI and it is not made in the US but I get the warranty. He basically said if the other winch is in great shape that I should go with that.

Option 3:
New Warn M-8000S $867. Winch made in the US but does not have quite the pull of the 9.5, and the thermal protection but it is made in the US and I get the warranty.

Option 4:
XBull 13K Synthetic: $367. You can find it on Amazon. From what I can tell it is the same winch as the Harbor Freight Badland winch but with a synthetic rope. Much cheaper than the other options but not the same quality as the Warns (maybe same quality as the VR since they are both made over seas).

So basically I am looking at the best quality winch is used (but barely according to seller) with a brand new Warn synthetic rope or get new Warns but of lesser quality for about the same price, or just go cheap and get an off brand winch.

I appreciate everyone's advise.

M8000 is the TJ standard. Just do it.
Sounds like you are getting synthetic for free.

IMG_0597.jpeg

I bought a new Warn M8000 (steel cable)off eBay for $518.00 shipped. How? 10 percent off ebay bucks, on sale, thru my Ibotta app on my phone. Think original price was $631.

Be patient and stalk your prey as long as needed.

Reactions: DrDmoney
So right now it looks like the votes are either for the used 9.5ti or the new m8000S. Here is a picture of the 9.5ti if that helps anyone else.

View attachment 98172
For the same money I would buy the 9.5ti over the m8000. I wouldn't worry too much about it being used since warn will stand behind it.

Last edited:
i would go with the 9.5TI if it doesnt have a Hawse fairlead offer him 700 if he balks go 750 w/steel cable that winch comes with a roller fairlead.

I'd go with the Warn M-8000S out of all those, no question about it.

The VR is just a Chinese built winch with Warn's name stamped on it.

Agreed with Chris 110% on this. I am also looking for a winch and the Warn VR series at first seemed like a great option, but after looking at them, they are overpriced and no better than a Harbor Freight, Smittybilt or Engo.

I want the M-8000s but cost is high so I am waiting out for a sale of some sorts.

Okay, I think I will go with the 9500ti as long as it all checks out as long as it looks good.

Other than checking the free spool, connecting it to a battery and making sure it spools in and out, smelling it for any fried electronics, is there anything else I should look out for?

Okay, I think I will go with the 9500ti as long as it all checks out as long as it looks good.

Other than checking the free spool, connecting it to a battery and making sure it spools in and out, smelling it for any fried electronics, is there anything else I should look out for?
You could clamp or bolt it down before you run it in and out and keep your dam fingers out of the way! ;)

Your worried about a guy in a fuckin FJ over-exerting a 9.5TI, and missing a great deal because of it.

Reactions: astjp2
An 8274 is mounted feet forward which presents challenges since the current crop of TJ bumpers and winch mounts are almost all designed for winches that are mounted feet down. It isn't an insurmountable challenge depending upon the particular bumper, but it does take the 8274 completely off the list for many TJ owners even if one could be obtained for a reasonable price.

So, @jazz-n-tj, were you able to buy that Warn 9.5ti for $800?

Reactions: MaloStapalo
Just need a mount, and the 8274 is bad assed, mine will pull 8K at 75 foot a minute....but I upgraded the motor and wiring to handle that.