USGI 5 Gallon Plastic Water Can - $34.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good find, good price, thanks for posting that.

That is a good price for a Scepter MWC.

The closest alternative, the 20L Scepter water cans without military markings sold by Lexington Container Company, are $44.95 plus tax and shipping and won't be available until after June 22.

I already have a ProQuip/Wavian 20L water can with spigot, 3 Rotopax 2-gal. water containers, and a rare Vietnam-era U.S. military 5 gal. aluminum jerry can for water sitting on the shelf, otherwise otherwise I would be jumping all over this.

Hell, I think I'll buy one anyway. Someday I might run into a matching Scepter MFC

If you are shopping around Grainger has a similar can for $28. You can probably find one local, they are everywhere.

can.jpeg

Reactions: matkal
Where are you finding that can for $28?

Grainger.com shows "sand" with a "Web Price" of $56.50 but "out of stock for at least 30 days." Both the Sand and Olive Drab cans are available for local pickup or shipped for $61.00, but the closest store with any in stock is 175 miles from me.

https://www.grainger.com/search/saf...s=brandName&searchQuery=5+gal+water+can&sst=4

$34.99 with free shipping if you buy two still looks like a good deal to me.

$34.99 with free shipping if you buy two still looks like a good deal to me.
Didn’t see that. I’ll have to decide how bad I want/need two. 🤔

Last edited:
Ability One at the bottom of the search you linked. The Major Surplus can is probably the same thing. Several companies make official "milspec" gear the military uses. If it doesn't say Wavian it normally isn't. You can probably see that the part numbers of the real green Wavian cans sold at Grainger don't match the ones at Major Surplus.

LC and Spectre make the real ones. Not Wavian. These are LC.

This deal cant be found anywhere. I've been looking for a long time. Grainger may get a small shipment from time to time. But these are 80 bucks used on ebay. I mean spray painted and kicked around used. And everyplace else on the internet has been sold out for a couple years.

$17 dollars must be to ship from west to east coast. Still even with $17 shipping its a great deal.

I've been looking for a pair of these for awhile. Now i can justify a set of can holders for my tire carrier. Lol.

I would imagine if a small surplus store got them at this price. Others will follow. Although it is owned by Voodoo Tactical. Who knows.

Reactions: Daryl
LC and Spectre make the real ones. Not Wavian. These are LC.

This deal cant be found anywhere. I've been looking for a long time. Grainger may get a small shipment from time to time. But these are 80 bucks used on ebay. I mean spray painted and kicked around used. And everyplace else on the internet has been sold out for a couple years.

$17 dollars must be to ship from west to east coast. Still even with $17 shipping its a great deal.

I've been looking for a pair of these for awhile. Now i can justify a set of can holders for my tire carrier. Lol.

I would imagine if a small surplus store got them at this price. Others will follow. Although it is owned by Voodoo Tactical. Who knows.
Made a decision. Got two coming. 🖕Kalifornia for confiscation of $6.30

Where are you finding that can for $28?

Ability One at the bottom of the search you linked.

Scepter water cans are high density polyethylene and meet MIL-DTL-43613E. The cans from Lexington Container are also HDPE.

The Ability One cans sold by Grainger are listed as plastic, not HDPE, and no milspec standard is listed in the product description.

Not the same cans.

Ive had a scepter can for awhile now and did this mod, works great at camp! I love it.
https://offroadpassport.com/forums/...with-shutoff-for-scepter-military-water-cans/

Another frequently done modification to MWC's (Scepter or LCI) that are carried in a can carrier or rack is to add a brass spigot.

This link shows how I replaced the hard-to-use spigot supplied with my ProQuip/Wavian HDPE water can. For a Scepter/LCI MWC (or even a plastic Ability One can) one simplydrills a hole for 3/4" pipe, inserst brass spigot, tightens bulkhead fitting, and seals with a bit of silicone sealant.

https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...r-with-spigot-hose.202781/page-2#post-2751799

new-spigot-installed-end-view-jpg.571673

Like this, but with a standard spigot vs. a push button valve.

ajik-249-jpg-jpg.jpg

or this:

c4de0_70302507f673e64b755e609559f4ef6817aec6fd-jpg.jpg

Reactions: pagrey
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Being the gear junkie that I am, I couldn't resist ordering two of these from Major Surplus. They arrived today.

New LCI MWC's flanking a rare Viet Nam era aluminum U.S. military water can:

LCI MWCs flanking Viet Nam era aluminum water can.jpg

LCI MWC's in 2020 next to late 1960's military water can used in Viet Nam.jpg

These are indeed LC Industries MWC's, not Scepter or Ability One. Mine were manufactured December 17 2019.

These: https://www.lcidistribution.com/water-can-5-gallon-olive-drab.html,
The civilian version of the same water can is here: https://lexingtoncontainercompanyso...rce.com/scepter-military-water-can-20l-green/

What is the difference between a Scepter MWC and a LC Industries MWC (both with the "Property of U.S. Government" markings)?

1. Scepter cans typically ship with an o-ring for the vent: LCI cans typically do not.

2. There is a minor difference in the molding indicative of two different companies manufacturing a product to the same military specification rather than evidence of one or the other being a "copy."

3. The Scepter cans are marked "Scepter Canada" and the LC Industries cans are marked "Mfg by LC Industries Haslehurst MS"

In all other respects Scepter and LC Industries MWC's are nearly identical. The caps are definitely interchangeable.

Here is a source for the o-rings:

"Here is the dirt on the o-rings for the LC Industries Water Can. You need all three.
You can get them from http://www.theoringstore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=367_144
Make sure you get Buna-N FDA O-Rings which is what you need for potable water.
Here are the 3 sizes, you need one of each for one can....

"9/16"ID X 11/16"OD X 1/16"CS (For Vent Cap)
014 B70 FDA Black Buna-N 70 O-ring (FDAB70014) $0.04 each
[May actually be P/N 015 B70 rather than 014 B70]

"7/8"ID X 1 1/16"OD X 3/32"CS (For Pouring Cap)
118 B70 FDA Black Buna-N 70 O-ring (FDAB70118) $0.12 each

"3 1/2"ID X 3 11/16"OD X 3/32"CS (For Large Filling Cap)
153 B70 FDA Black Buna-N 70 O-ring (FDAB70153) $0.54 each"

If you were hesitating, these are the real deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.