USGI 5 Gallon Plastic Water Can - $34.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess you missed Post #20:
I thought you were referring to the OP's (post #1) Majorsurplus link. I was referring to the link on post #17. They are two different offers. Majorsurplus is $35 while the LCI link is $25. The price on the LCI link seems too good to be true. Thanks still.

Looking forward to who buys the best handle. Lol.

Then ill buy one. ;)

I still haven't filled my cans with water. Anyone done a lay it on its side test? I assume they are fine. Based on all the fine knowledge shared in this thread. And the fact that they are designed to work without a gasket.

I'm just wondering if i need to buy a wrench? Or if hand tight is going to be enough? I also wonder how long it will take me to lose the wrench. Murphys law and all. I guess you could chain it to one of the cans. Damn I'm smart. ;)

Looking forward to who buys the best handle.
Then I'll l buy one. ;)

I received the MWC cap wrench sold by Amazon/JAGMTE just a few minutes ago. It fits perfectly and works exactly as intended.

Having purchased a new LCI MWC from Major Surplus, and having purchased and evaluated both a JSP cap wrench and a JAGMTE cap wrench, I respectfully submit that I am in a position to render an opinion as to which cap wrench is the better buy for an owner of a LCI MWC.

My opinion is that the JAGMTE cap wrench is the better buy.

The JSP 3-way cap wrench is too large for the LCI pour spout cap and too small for the LCI vent cap rendering it essentially only a one-way cap wrench. In a head-to-head comparison of the wrenches on the large fill cap, the JSP wrench was cumbersome to use and the JAGMTE wrench was easier to fit into place and not cumbersome at all.

Since both wrenches cost the same the winner for me is the JAGMTE cap wrench.

814rZM2uahL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZD3R6SI/?tag=wranglerorg-20

This begs the question of whether a cap wrench is even necessary. I am working on my version of a pressurized jerry can camp shower so I wanted a cap wrench on hand in case it is necessary during testing to get an effective seal at the intended air pressure. At some point I'll get around to filling up a can, setting it on its side, and testing it without a cap wrench to see if that works well enough for horizontal storage purposes. Stay tuned.

Reactions: Ephry73 and Byhumba
I had to return the cap wrench I bought off amazon as well as it didn’t fit. Haven’t filled mine with water either as I also bought a 7 gallon aquatainer for camping. The Jerry cans will be the back up for longer trips.

I got two of the LCI cans from the link in the first post and already had one Wavian water can. They have been sitting like this full of water for about four hours. All three cans were tightened by hand. Just about as tight as I could get by hand on the main caps, but not quite that much on the other smaller caps. Didn't want to strip anything out. After seeing a little leak out of the Wavian vent, I noticed a little bit of flash on the top of the vent. Took some 1000 grit sand paper and smoothed it off a little. I'll check again later or in the morning to see if it still leaked.

Not a drop from the new LCI cans.
IMG_0480.JPG
IMG_0481.JPG

Last edited:
The Wavian can is still leaking a little from the vent cap. I may take the vent cap to the hardware store and see if I can find and o-ring that will fit in there. If not, it's not a big deal, I imagine I'll always have it in the standing position.

Still not a drop from the LCI cans.

Reactions: taylormade73
What about spouts for these? I did alot of research on those a year or two ago. Seems like the best ones were on ebay.

My understanding is that the o-rings are not necessary, but eliminate the occasional need with some cans to tighten the caps with a wrench to prevent any possibility of dripping when stored full on their sides.

This same thing happens with Rotopax cans, which use the same compression design with no o-ring and caps manufactured by Scepter. The solution by Scepter for MWC's and Rotopax for their containers is a "special wrench" to get the caps tight enough, although it has been my suspicion that the Scepter MWC's supplied to the Canadian armed forces may have been fitted with o-rings.

Scepter/LCI can wrench:

View attachment 165382
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074VH5FQL/?tag=wranglerorg-20

NOTE: The photo above is of a pre-2018 Scepter MWC cap. The design changed slightly in 2018, but the wrenches fit caps of all years, see: https://jagmte.com/pages/attention-scepter-water-can-owners

Rotopax can wrench:
View attachment 165381

To the best of my knowledge the o-rings are not specified in the U.S. military specifications for MWC's and have never been included with LC Industries MWC's. Reports of leakage are rare even without those o-rings and generally limited to cans stored full on their sides.

It will be great to get confirmation that the o-ring dimensions listed above are correct because I would prefer to use o-rings to prevent any possibility of a leak in the event I decide to use my MWC's on their sides rather than keep track of a "special wrench."
I just bought some rotopax jugs, had no idea this was a thing

This is great timing for me - I need to replace some old camping water cans that leak like crazy.. Thank you guys for doing some tests!

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Status
Not open for further replies.