Using a winch to move a concrete slab

Better hire some Egyptians to move it!!šŸ˜‰
Do it like the Egyptians is the correct way. They used simple tools and moved mountains.
Iā€™ve moved heavy objects many times slabs, sheds, C-crates etc. The force needed is for pulling not lifting.First things to remember is to take your time , keep body parts clear and use a chain Or heavy steel cable around the concrete and type of rope or strap will be cut or damaged. Itā€™s OK to put a rope or strap on the chain. Dig under the middle of the slab on the side of direction of pull. Place a bottle jack under the slab and raise it up. Place a peeler core or similar round object that the slab can roll on and carrie the weight under slab. If your ground is soft you will want to place 2x6s or wider under the roller. Have at least one roller setup to switch out as you move.Your biggest problem will be getting the slab to sit level at the height above grade at your new location.
Pictures are for demonstration purposes only. Do not use PVC pipe. Small cross chain is used to move force of pull to the centerline.
PM me if you have questions.
Post pictures of your results

E868BC9E-6E3C-4B07-BE39-1AC66A2BC7FB.jpeg

EFDA3C4C-7514-4C56-B031-72EB9E4B835D.jpeg

7ā€™x3ā€™x3ā€=
7ā€™x3ā€™x.25ā€™=
Round up for safety margin .33ā€™
7ā€™x3ā€™ x.33ā€™ = 6.93 cubic ft
27 cubic ft in a cubic yard
1 cubic yard of concrete weighs 4050#
4050# divided by 27 = 150#
150# x 6.93 = 1,039.5 #

Can you tell that I have a lot of time on my hands tonite? I love doing this kind of stuff.šŸ˜

You will be lifting 1/2 of that weight and rolling the total weight plus friction. If friction is minimal and the ground is flat, I bet you could pull it by hand by yourself.

Reactions: mrjp
Havenā€™t tried moving a concrete slab but I did move a one to two ton landscaping boulder. Best use of the winch so far.

I use my winch to move shit far more than recovery. I use it all the time to fell trees and pull them where I want them to fall. I wouldnā€™t think twice about trying it on the slab. Youā€™ll be fine.

Reactions: matkal and mrjp
I read once that the Egyptians may have brought in water to wet the sand ahead of what they were pulling. Think of walking on the beach and how firm the sand is where it's above water but within reach of the waves.

Reactions: mrjp and Zorba
Do it like the Egyptians is the correct way. They used simple tools and moved mountains.
Iā€™ve moved heavy objects many times slabs, sheds, C-crates etc. The force needed is for pulling not lifting.First things to remember is to take your time , keep body parts clear and use a chain Or heavy steel cable around the concrete and type of rope or strap will be cut or damaged. Itā€™s OK to put a rope or strap on the chain. Dig under the middle of the slab on the side of direction of pull. Place a bottle jack under the slab and raise it up. Place a peeler core or similar round object that the slab can roll on and carrie the weight under slab. If your ground is soft you will want to place 2x6s or wider under the roller. Have at least one roller setup to switch out as you move.Your biggest problem will be getting the slab to sit level at the height above grade at your new location.
Pictures are for demonstration purposes only. Do not use PVC pipe. Small cross chain is used to move force of pull to the centerline.
PM me if you have questions.
Post pictures of your results

View attachment 275419

View attachment 275420
This looks completely workable - and is far from what I was thinking of. It makes complete sense! Thank you.

The ground is sand - think of a sand dune.

Pictures are for demonstration purposes only. Do not use PVC pipe.
Since we are all being pedantic twats in this thread, that isn't PVC. It doesn't melt when you use PVC glue on it.
Small cross chain is used to move force of pull to the centerline.
If you pull at the point of the triangle, that little chain doesn't change anything.

My main concern is keeping the tree strap wrapped around the ass end of the thing.
You consider renting or borrowing a roto hammer, setting a pair of drop in anchors, and screwing in two eye bolts. Put a bridle on the eyes then pull on the bridle. Be sure to open your hood and stand well clear. Oh, and film tje tug. I don't know what may go wrong but we want video. :)