Using Factory Rocker Switch Panel

c_bronson

I have a '99 Wrangler Sahara, and I really like the idea of keeping things looking as stock as possible. With that, I only have factory fog lights wired to the switch panel and therefore have two slots available I'd like to use for either lights or lockers. I'm not a moron when it comes to electrical stuff but I also have a lot to learn. I really like the idea of how an SPOD and similar products run all switches off of one connector that just plugs into the 'thesource' or relay box. How could I accomplish this using what already in the TJ? For example, can I connect the other two switches to whatever the fog lights are installed on? Are there appropriate relays in place? I just don't want to end up with a bunch of wires going to the battery.

You would need to add in a dedicated circuit. Technically speaking, you could tap everything into one and share the same circuit, but the OEM fuse and relay that is dedicated to your fog lights likey wouldn't support the load. Not only that, but the OEM circuit with it's fog light relay may affect the functionality of whatever additions you install.

For instance, my '06 fog light relay is wired to turn the fogs off when the high beams are turned on. Yours may be the same, but I'm not 100% sure.

What you could do, is do like they may be doing with the SPOD. Have only one power source/wire coming in to support your additions, and have it running to a concealed DIY bracket that you can mount your new relays to. From the relays, you would have short runs of wires to your switches, and out to your accessories. Depending on your mounting location, of course. So, there doesn't have to be a bunch of wires running off the battery, like you're concerned with.

Reactions: c_bronson
Here's a little two-relay setup that I put together for halo headlights in a CJ-8. The main power source came from the factory circuit.
In this case, there was no need for an additional fuse/s like you would probably need, but the setup could still be very similar and minimal.

IMG_20190419_001526362.jpg

Reactions: c_bronson
I use a fuse block. 2 ga wire from the battery powers it. It makes adding any accessory as simple as adding a fuse. I do need to consolidate my relays but thats a project for another day
20200301_171523.jpg

You would need to add in a dedicated circuit. Technically speaking, you could tap everything into one and share the same circuit, but the OEM fuse and relay that is dedicated to your fog lights likey wouldn't support the load. Not only that, but the OEM circuit with it's fog light relay may affect the functionality of whatever additions you install.

For instance, my '06 fog light relay is wired to turn the fogs off when the high beams are turned on. Yours may be the same, but I'm not 100% sure.

What you could do, is do like they may be doing with the SPOD. Have only one power source/wire coming in to support your additions, and have it running to a concealed DIY bracket that you can mount your new relays to. From the relays, you would have short runs of wires to your switches, and out to your accessories. Depending on your mounting location, of course. So, there doesn't have to be a bunch of wires running off the battery, like you're concerned with.
Thanks for explaining that too me! Makes a lot more sense. I'll look into something more like what you have.

I use a fuse block. 2 ga wire from the battery powers it. It makes adding any accessory as simple as adding a fuse. I do need to consolidate my relays but thats a project for another day
That's really clean looking, did you do that yourself?

Reactions: bedhed
That's really clean looking, did you do that yourself?

I did. Picked up the block from ebay. It stated it was capable of 100 amps. I have 20 amps for the heated seats and 30 for my OBA. The block was only $20 or so