Using JL wheels on a TJ

TimD

How to put JL wheels on a TJ, properly -

I had bought some aftermarket rims and tires that I was not happy with. I had problems with balancing them and with the rims having excessive run-out. This was giving me some steering wheel vibrations above 55 mph. I was looking for a solution.

I noticed people selling take offs from the new JL Jeeps. Some of these wheel sets had been taken off before being driven on and were like new. I found many on craigslist. These ranged in price from a low of $375, to a high of around $600 for five tires and rims. I decided to buy a set. I have to say I'm really pleased with them. My Jeep rides nice and I got rid of the vibrations I had with the aftermarket wheels.

In my journey to find out what I needed to mount JL wheels on my TJ, I had problems finding the right wheel adapters, so I thought I'd pass on what I learned.

The TJ has a bolt pattern of 4.5" X 5". You will need to purchase wheel adapters since wheels from a JL, or JK for that matter, use a bolt pattern of 5" X 5".

You will find mixed feelings on the web about using adapters, but my experience is that if you follow the manufactures instructions using lock-tight and proper torque values when installing them, well they seem to work just fine. Anyway, this thread is not meant to discuss the merits of adapters, so please don't high jack this thread. This is about the getting the right adapters for people that want to do so.

One important thing to understand is that the JL uses a bigger size wheel lug nut, a M14X1.5mm. Not a huge difference to the 1/2" of the TJ or JK. Most all the wheel adapters I found on the internet were using a half inch lug nut to mount the adapter to the Jeep, and a half inch stud for mounting the tire to the adapter. This is precisely what you want if you are going to mount a JK wheel on a TJ, but not what you should use if you're going to mount a JL wheel on a TJ. Yes it is true it's a minor difference. You may read on forums that some people just ignore the difference and mount the JL wheels onto the wheel adapters with a 1/2" stud. I don't think this is advisable. If you want to do it right, there is one company that makes an adapter, here in the US, that is correct for the job and has the larger studs for the JL's M14 lug nuts. They are "Tire Shop Supplies". You can find them online at - http://tireshopsupplies.com/

Make sure you select the correct stud size for the JL wheels, M14X1.5mm, and you need to let them know you want to mount the adapter on a TJ that has 1/2" studs. If you do this they will supple the adapters, drilled correctly, and they will supply 1/2" nuts to mount the adapter onto the TJ studs.

Of course there is another consideration here, and that is the size of the tires and their backspacing. The JL has a much larger backspacing of around 6.25" which is much more than any TJ wheel. I dealt with this by selecting an adapter that was 2" thick. This may work for you or it may not. I have a 2.5" suspension lift and a 1" body lift. I also have fender extensions. The adapters put the wheel right where it looked and worked well on my set up. With my set up and these adapters, I don't have any problems with the tires rubbing or any other issues. The JL wheels I bought are not that big. They are 17" rims with Michelin LTX M/S 245/75 tires. I love these Michelin tires and have had them on my pickups. They are not off road tires but perfect for my needs.

For a bit of irony the company I bought the after market rims and tires from, the ones that were giving me a shaky steering wheel, did step up and replace the entry level steel rims with a much better aluminum rim. I still have these with BF Goodrich ATs 33"X10.5". So, I have now have two nice sets of wheels and tires.

One last point, if you're going up in tire size from stock tires, you will want to consider more than a lift to make them fit. I'm not a fan of big lifts, but it seems a lot of Jeeps get lifts and big tires and do not re-gear their differentials. You're Jeep will be a real dog. With my JL wheels, which are quite close in size to my BF Goodrich set that are 33", I put 4.88 gears in my differentials. My Jeep is an 2005, six cylinder, automatic with the overdrive. For my TJ the 4.88 gearing is perfect for a tire around 32 - 33" in diameter. I have nice power and the transmission shifts perfectly. I get around 18 mpg on the freeway. All around I'm happy with my set up. I like the stockish look of the JL wheels on my TJ. I can always switch back to the BFs and the aftermarket rims if I'm headed for the snow or want a more aggressive look.

004.JPG

Thank you for the post! I was looking all over the Internet to take try to find help people solved the issue that I ran into getting wheels/tires off a 2020 gladiator to put on my 2000 TJ. I first grabbed the standard inch and a quarter wheel adapter off Amazon and went to install it and realized the thread pattern was different on the 2020 wheels. I looked for a larger half inch lug nut but could not find any. Went to my local Les Schwab and talk to somebody there and he said half inch Lugnuts would be fine....I talked to my mechanic while he was doing my lift and he wasn’t super comfortable with that either. Thanks to you I have some proper wheel spacers/adapters coming in the mail this weekend! Thanks for your time creating this post.

Reactions: Blondie70
I am interested in hearing technical opinions of the below link to another post where someone took the time to take a few measurements and comparisons between a JK and JL wheel mounted with JK lugs on a 1/2x20 spacer.

https://www.wranglerforum.com/threads/tf.2259345/post-33055681
I just bought a set of 2020 Rubicon take offs and have been doing the research on the larger lug sizes of the JL. What I keep coming back to is the fact that Chrysler went with 14 mm for a reason, though structurally the difference between .5 and .55 should be small.

Also, no one seems to mass produce a 5x4.5 1/2x20 to 5x5 14x1.5 adapter. It seems like their should be a market for it in both the TJ and JK realms, unless of course the current spacers work just fine and manufacturers don’t see a need to produce a one off. The JL has been out for 2 years now and there are a dozen sets of take offs from my area on Craigslist.

Also, I priced out the custom spacers from the website above and I was just shy of $300 before tax and shipping. Ouch.

What I keep coming back to is the fact that Chrysler went with 14 mm for a reason, though structurally the difference between .5 and .55 should be small.
I work in design engineering and manufacturing and while I don’t know about this Chrysler decision for a fact, I would bet the reason for this change was to consolidate the supply chain and reduce cost. Auto manufacturers are continuously looking for pennies in every aspect of manufacturing because it results in significant margin improvements. As you pointed out, the structural difference is insignificant.

I put 2020 Gladiator Rubi takeoffs on my TJ using standard JK adapters. The Internet opinion majority at the time I did my research is on the side of having used JK adapter plates without failures.

5AE12125-739D-4490-B402-49C3BADFF728.jpeg

My issue wasn’t necessarily the thread size It was the fact that I couldn’t find Lugnuts large enough in 1/2x 20 for me to feel there was enough contact with the wheel.

Reactions: AussieNick
I work in design engineering and manufacturing and while I don’t know about this Chrysler decision for a fact, I would bet the reason for this change was to consolidate the supply chain and reduce cost. Auto manufacturers are continuously looking for pennies in every aspect of manufacturing because it results in significant margin improvements. As you pointed out, the structural difference is insignificant.

This is what I was thinking too. Fun fact, Ram 1500/2500/3500 and the Challenger, Charger, 300, etc. all use 14mm x 1.5.

Reactions: AussieNick
I am interested in hearing technical opinions of the below link to another post where someone took the time to take a few measurements and comparisons between a JK and JL wheel mounted with JK lugs on a 1/2x20 spacer.

https://www.wranglerforum.com/threads/tf.2259345/post-33055681
I just bought a set of 2020 Rubicon take offs and have been doing the research on the larger lug sizes of the JL. What I keep coming back to is the fact that Chrysler went with 14 mm for a reason, though structurally the difference between .5 and .55 should be small.

Also, no one seems to mass produce a 5x4.5 1/2x20 to 5x5 14x1.5 adapter. It seems like their should be a market for it in both the TJ and JK realms, unless of course the current spacers work just fine and manufacturers don’t see a need to produce a one off. The JL has been out for 2 years now and there are a dozen sets of take offs from my area on Craigslist.

Also, I priced out the custom spacers from the website above and I was just shy of $300 before tax and shipping. Ouch.
Just curious how you got 300? I got 200. Now I am wondering if I am doing something wrong. I am about to buy the spacers and some takeoffs from a JL

I put 2020 Gladiator Rubi takeoffs on my TJ using standard JK adapters. The Internet opinion majority at the time I did my research is on the side of having used JK adapter plates without failures.

View attachment 160199
What adapters did you purchase? I am about to do this as well

I wanted to revive this thread since I just put JL Rubicon wheels on my TJ. My concern was, as mentioned above, the JL uses M14-1.5 (13/16" hex) wheel studs vice the 1/2-20 (3/4" hex) for the TJ. With the JL wheels using a larger diameter stud it also means the wheels have a larger hole for the lugs and finding an adapter with M14x1.5 studs that are hub-centric is about impossible unless you want to have them custom made for around $500.

What I did was purchase readily available hub-centric 5x4.5 to 5x5 adapters with 1/2" studs for $60 a pair. I used the OEM lug nuts to check the fit. I felt that there wasn't enough of the conical portion of the lug contacting the wheel, so I put a little grease on the lug, hand tightened it, removed it and looked for grease marks. My feelings were confirmed.

I went on the hunt for larger lug nuts and found 1/2-20 (13/16" hex) lug nuts on Amazon. Purchased a set and took some measurements. The diameter of the conical portion of 3/4 hex lug nut measured 22.75 mm and the 13/16 hex lug nut measured 23.85 mm, plus the conical portion was noticeably larger and deeper (see picture). I installed one with the grease test and found that the entire wheel had lug nut contact. These will work just fine.

Here are the lug nuts I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QM9WD6B/?tag=wranglerorg-20

PXL_20210210_040801118.jpg

Finished product

Jeep-New_Wheels.jpg

Last edited:
I wanted to revive this thread since I just put JL Rubicon wheels on my TJ. My concern was, as mentioned above, the JL uses M14-1.5 (13/16" hex) wheel studs vice the 1/2-20 (3/4" hex) for the TJ. With the JL wheels using a larger diameter stud it also means the wheels have a larger hole for the lugs and finding an adapter with M14x1.5 studs that are hub-centric is about impossible unless you want to have them custom made for around $500.

What I did was purchase readily available hub-centric 5x4.5 to 5x5 adapters with 1/2" studs for $60 a pair. I used the OEM lug nuts to check the fit. I felt that there wasn't enough of the conical portion of the lug contacting the wheel, so I put a little grease on the lug, hand tightened it, removed it and looked for grease marks. My feeling were confirmed.

I went on the hunt for larger lug nuts and found 1/2-20 (13/16" hex) lug nuts on Amazon. Purchased a set and took some measurements. The diameter of the conical portion of 3/4 hex lug nut measured 22.75 mm and the 13/16 hex lug nut measured 23.85 mm, plus the conical portion was noticeably larger or deeper (see picture). I installed one with the grease test and found that the entire wheel had lug nut contact. These will work just fine.

Here are the lug nuts I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QM9WD6B/?tag=wranglerorg-20

View attachment 225098

Finished product

View attachment 225134
Thanks for posting this Codaman :) I am putting the same wheels on my TJ and was curious about the lugs. I will order these.

Last edited:
I was really commenting more on the wanting to leave. I'm not a California native, but lived there. Very happy to leave. We were 117 in Chandler yesterday.

Love the color of your TJ. I am going to order from Amazon today to see how they work!!

tempImageNFHJFe.png

Reactions: CodaMan
From a different perspective, I am intending to change back from my 17 inch JK wheels to TJ 15 inch wheels - the reasoning is; firstly when I am off road (in sand where I live), the spreading effect on my 17's is minimal vs. would I could achieve with 15's, therefore I should get better grip when deflated, secondly cost as locally 15's are cheaper than 17's (even with an overall diameter of 31).

I do like the look of the 17's and the ride is mostly smooth although at 110 km/h (68 mph) I have a slight vibration in the whel and through the pedal so assume that is a drivetrain issue rather than a pedal issue.

However, I did encounter an issue with the length of the wheel studs, they were too short for the adapters for the 17's and one worked its way loos which destroyed the front right hub and disc rotar which on the highway, lucky that i heard the noise (but did not feel anything in the steering) and pulled over immediately. Was informed that if the front hub and axle had separated at speed on the highway I would have flipped several times - so whilst all is repaired, tight and inspected now I am still mindful about messing with the geometry.

A bad alignment on my new to me 04 ruined a front tire being pulled behind my motorhome. It was a perfect time for wheel change. There are lots of new takeoffs for sale in Atlanta. I got these for just a few dollars more than two 33/12.5/15 would have cost.
20211025_183527.jpg

Reactions: red02tj