Using LEDs in the front fender side-markers on a Jeep Wrangler TJ

Is there a ground connection or something between the front turn signal/fender lights and the tail lights? With the LED relay in, I put LEDs in the tail lights, normal bulbs everywhere else (the interior and dash lights are LED).
  • When the left turn signal is on, the lights on the dash dim in time with the flasher (including the odometer), the front passenger side turn signal blinks very dimly, and the driver's side turn signal blinks normally.
  • When the right turn signal is on, the dash lights dim and the passenger side turn signal flashes, but the driver's side turn signal stays off.
Repeatable with the normal flasher relay in, only hyper speed.

Also, as a side note, if I put LEDs in the turn signals, I blow fuse 7 every time they try to light up (flashers or running lights).

Is there a ground connection or something between the front turn signal/fender lights and the tail lights? With the LED relay in, I put LEDs in the tail lights, normal bulbs everywhere else (the interior and dash lights are LED).
  • When the left turn signal is on, the lights on the dash dim in time with the flasher (including the odometer), the front passenger side turn signal blinks very dimly, and the driver's side turn signal blinks normally.
  • When the right turn signal is on, the dash lights dim and the passenger side turn signal flashes, but the driver's side turn signal stays off.
Repeatable with the normal flasher relay in, only hyper speed.

Also, as a side note, if I put LEDs in the turn signals, I blow fuse 7 every time they try to light up (flashers or running lights).
Did you do the mod for the LED relay, or get one of the LED relays installed?

Rather than cut the wires to the side marker light I made a patch cable that will do the same thing. Way more easier to build the circuit, no cutting of wires, and it's reversible.

When the adapter is installed you may run into the following issues.
If the LED does not light at all, you need to spin the bulb 180 degrees in the socket.
If the LED does light but it is bright, you need to rotate the plug into the factory socket by 180 degrees.

The second if statement has to do with the default mode of the side marker is dim, and when it flashes it gets bright. If you put the plug into the factory socket the wrong way the bulb will always be bright, even when it flashes.

If you want to build this circuit like I did here's the parts you will need the following additional items to your BOM.

194 Male Sockets
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WTZMNZL/?tag=wranglerorg-20

194 Female Sockets
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H8F322J/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Here's what it looks like. I haven't tested it yet but I did build the circuit exactly Steel City 06 described.
View attachment 169551
Did they work for you? I need to do this to my Jeep

I'm not sure all this hoopla over LED is worth it at least on my 98. The dash doesn't dim like incandescent though the ice blue looks good, it's fairly bright at night,, side markers have to be incandescent or else a re-wire, made from China LEDs fail more often than incandescent so you end up replacing them more often. I've personally had better results replacing the lenses on the exterior lights and going back to incandescent on the interior but I'm a stock kinda guy.

Here is some other options and, you can go on Amazon and get covers of the color of your choice that go over the incandescent white lights for the 74s
20200916_115323.jpg

I replaced my front and rear turn signal turn signal bulbs along with the side marker bulbs with LED's.
I replaced my 5 prong flasher with an EP26 4 prong flasher and everything appears to be working fine.
The only issue I am having is the flashers now work with the key out of the ignition.

Side market LED will give you all kinds of weird problems unless you run a separate ground, better off going incandescent with those
You had to jinx me!
Everything worked fine all day yesterday. I got in my jeep today and everything went fuckup.
I turn the blinkers on and the high beam on the dash started flashing, side markers went out.
I put the stock 194 bulbs back in, same thing.
So i put the stock turn signal bulbs and flasher back in, now everything is back to normal except the hyperflash.

I have found you can use LED sidemarkers with incandescent front turn signals if (and only if) the sidemarker LEDs are the reversible (non-polarized) kind.

If you put LEDs in the front turn signals and either incandescent or LEDs in the sidemarkers, you will have issues with the sidemarkers, and also have issues with the front turn signals as well if the sidemarkers are incandescent.

Converting to a 3-wire setup on the sidemarker corrects issues with both the sidemarker and the front turn signal, and allows LEDs to be used in both locations.

I had the opposite on my 98, put LED in the turns and side marker and it went haywire, removed the side marker LEDs and put incandescent back in, left the turn signals to LED and all is good.
Did change the flasher so not hyperflashing.

I have found you can use LED sidemarkers with incandescent front turn signals if (and only if) the sidemarker LEDs are the reversible (non-polarized) kind.

If you put LEDs in the front turn signals and either incandescent or LEDs in the sidemarkers, you will have issues with the sidemarkers, and also have issues with the front turn signals as well if the sidemarkers are incandescent.

Converting to a 3-wire setup on the sidemarker corrects issues with both the sidemarker and the front turn signal, and allows LEDs to be used in both locations.
thanks. looks like I will be building a 3 wire setup this weekend.

Rather than cut the wires to the side marker light I made a patch cable that will do the same thing. Way more easier to build the circuit, no cutting of wires, and it's reversible.

If the LED does not light at all, you need to spin the bulb 180 degrees in the socket.
If the LED does light but it is bright, you need to rotate the plug into the factory socket by 180 degrees.

The second if statement has to do with the default mode of the side marker is dim, and when it flashes it gets bright. If you put the plug into the factory socket the wrong way the bulb will always be bright, even when it flashes.

If you want to build this circuit like I did here's the parts you will need the following additional items to your BOM.

194 Male Sockets

194 Female Sockets

Here's what it looks like. I haven't tested it yet but I did build the circuit exactly Steel City 06 described.
View attachment 169551
How did you make these?

194 Male Sockets

194 Female Sockets

View attachment 169551
How did you make these?