Using permatex with the oil pump and strainer assembly

RobM

Supporting Member
Does anyone, by any chance, have experience or recommendations regarding the use of Permatex sealant in the area between the oil pump and the oil strainer Assembly? I received a new pump and strainer and when installed, they are very loose.

Doing a little searching, it seems that these two parts should fit tight. I also found a YouTube link suggesting that permatex should be used...

Surprisingly, there are a ton of threads about the oil pump but not much on this section with the strainer.

Any help would really be appreciated. I'm not sure what my next steps would be but too try my luck and see what happens.

Note, I did post a similar thread last week related to this topic. I haven't received any replies, so I hope I'm not pressing my luck here. I've been researching this for over a week now, and I'm about ready to start over.

Thanks,
Bob

youtu.be/FAb80rXr0V4[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I'm following up on this thread, just in case someone else ever had my question. After much research, the oil pump and strainer Assembly should fit very tight and needs to be pressed in (strainer into pump). Several people suggested tack welding this junction, but it really isn't necessary as one of the mounting bolts will secure the two pieces quite effectively. Also, and similarly, the use of Permatex (aviation) isn't need, and depending on how it's done, could cause some significant (maybe serious) problems depending on how it's done.

Reactions: SoCalGlide
I'm following up on this thread, just in case someone else ever had my question. After much research, the oil pump and strainer Assembly should fit very tight and needs to be pressed in (strainer into pump). Several people suggested tack welding this junction, but it really isn't necessary as one of the mounting bolts will secure the two pieces quite effectively. Also, and similarly, the use of Permatex (aviation) isn't need, and depending on how it's done, could cause some significant (maybe serious) problems depending on how it's done.
I’ve recently researched this as well. The strainer tube is a press-fit with no gasket, seal, or RTV used. It gets tapped in place using the circular ridge around the outside of the tube. I’ve read that it needs to be tapped in very carefully because it’s easy to bend or damage the tube. I’ll be doing it myself in the next few months. Ordered the special tool for it.

Last edited: