Using the DRB III to Calibrate a New Cam Sensor in the 4.0 Engine (2000-2006)

sab

"Semper Discens"
Lifetime Supporting Member
With the demise of the OEM cam sensor, TJ owners needing to replace a faulty cam sensor will soon be left with no option other than using an aftermarket sensor. Aftermarket sensors have horrible reputations on this forum, and the intent of this thread is to present some information that may help the forum determine if suitable aftermarket cam sensors exist. In addition, since the crank sensor is the other main engine sensor, and the interaction of the two (more on that later) is monitored by the PCM, at some point, the crank sensors will also become difficult to find, and I suspect that similar problems could crop up.

First, here is what I’ve learned in reading service and parts manuals for all model years, as well as the Powertrain Diagnostic Procedures Manual for my LJ (a 2005 model). There appear (it’s very difficult to find definitive proof of this) to be three main variants of Powertrain Control Modules (PCMs) used across the range of model years for the TJ:
  • 1997-1998: Jeep/Truck Engine Controller (JTEC)
  • 1999-2004: Jeep/Truck Engine Controller Plus (JTEC+)
  • 2005-2006: Next Generation Controller (NGC)
The JTEC and JTEC+ PCMs appear to be very similar. In fact, I was unable to find out exactly how the “+” version differs from the original. According to the service manuals, the first model year requiring synchronization of the cam and crank sensors was the 2000. Therefore, only the JTEC+ and NGC PCMs need cam sensor calibration, according to the manuals. However, the NGC controller is very different from its predecessors, and it treats the cam and crank sensor signals differently, so the calibration procedure is completely different.

On an unrelated note, another big change implemented with the introduction of the NGC PCM in 2005 is that it integrated the Transmission Control Module (TCM) for the automatic transmission into the PCM (and added a fourth connector to the box.) Incidentally, I think it was Mark at WranglerFix who first pointed out that heat was killing the NGC PCMs due to additional heat generated by the TCM inside the PCM case. Those NGC PCMs simply won’t survive long term in the extremely hot engine compartment of a TJ – the TCM pushed it over the edge of “too hot.”

Soon after I discovered this forum, I read about the “DRB III” computer that Chrysler techs used “back in the day” to diagnose problems with our TJs. I’ve been doing major work on vehicles for decades, and I’ve found that it is essential to have the proper diagnostic computer when working on OBD2-equipped vehicles. I was disappointed at the prices used DRB III computers command, but I decided to invest in one since my LJ is a “bucket list” vehicle – and project – for me.

The DRB III is a fairly sophisticated diagnostic computer (although it may not look it) that works with many Chrysler vehicles, not just Jeeps or TJs. It has adaptive menus, meaning that the menus you see on it depend upon the configuration of the vehicle to which you’ve connected it. The cam and crank sensor signals are used for many purposes in the PCM, and how they relate to each other with respect to crankshaft rotation is important. Because the engine’s crankshaft is rotating at thousands of times per minute and many things happen during a single rotation of the crankshaft, the interaction of the two sensors’ signals is affected by all the production tolerances (mechanical, but also electrical) involved.

The PCM is keeping track of the crankshaft’s position and the camshaft’s position during each revolution and determining when to fire each injector and spark plug based upon those sensor signals (the crank sensor triggers the spark plugs and the cam sensor triggers the injectors). Small variations in the output signal of each individual sensor become problematic to the PCM, as it can cause the PCM to misinterpret those positions, which can cause serious engine problems.

In addition to using the signals to fire injectors and spark plugs, the PCM also monitors them and looks for problems. For instance, the P03XX codes for misfires are triggered when the PCM sees a slight change in the time between two cylinders firing because the crank actually speeds up slightly with each cylinder’s firing, and if a cylinder doesn’t fire, the PCM can detect that from the cam and crank sensor signals because the crank fails to accelerate at that point in the crank’s rotation.

The DRB III has a function for helping the PCM make small adjustments for production variations of individual sensors, but that function is different for the JTEC+ PCM and the NGC PCM.

Cam Sensor Calibration for JTEC+ PCMs with Electronic Ignition (2000-2004 TJs)
In the JTEC+ PCM, the function is referred to in the service manual as the “SET SYNC” function, and it involves watching the display on the DRB III while adjusting the position of the oil pump drive assembly with the engine running. Here is the description from the service manual:

1680463611169.png

Unfortunately, I only have access to my 2005 LJ with the NGC PCM, so I can’t show you any screen shots from the DRB III for using this procedure. As soon as I get access to an earlier model TJ, I’ll update this section.

Cam Sensor Calibration for NGC PCMs (2005-2006 TJs)
In the NGC PCM, the function is referred to in the service manual as the “CAM/CRANK RELEARN” function (but, as you’ll soon see, in the DRB III menu system, it’s called “ReLearn Cam Crank”), and it is mentioned at the end of the section on installing the oil pump drive assembly:

1680463666389.png

Unlike the JTEC+’s “SET SYNC” procedure, this procedure is not done with the engine running, and it is a very uneventful procedure. After you install the new oil pump drive assembly, you execute the function, and nothing noticeable happens with the DRB III. What this function does is tell the PCM to re-learn the relationship between the cam sensor signal and the crank sensor signal because you’ve changed the cam sensor. What happens when the PCM is re-learning is unknown to me for sure, but I suspect that it measures the time between crank and cam signal events and, using the RPM at the time, it determines how many crank degrees there are between the signals, and then sets new event triggers and limits used for diagnostic checks.

This function should be performed when you replace the cam sensor, replace the oil pump drive assembly, or rotate the oil pump drive assembly (see the “If You Rotate Your OPDA” section at the end of this post for more information). Following are screen shots on my DRB III, in progression, showing how you get to that function. Note that not all screens are shown here. There are some intermediate “press a key to continue”-type screens I’ve omitted. For each screen, the highlighted menu item is the selection you need to select to move on to the next screen (you can also press the appropriate number key for option number in the menu).

First, select Option 1 – “DRB III Standalone” from the Main Menu:
1.jpg

Next, select Option 1 – “1998 – 2007 Diagnostics” from the Stand-Alone Main Menu:
2.jpg

Now, select Option 1 – “All ( Except Below )” from the 1998 – 2007 Diagnostics Menu:
3.jpg

Next, select Option 1 – “Engine” from the Select System Menu:
4.jpg

The next menu – Select Function – is actually two pages:
5.jpg

You need to press the right arrow key (shown below) to get to the second page for the next selection:
6.jpg

On the second page of the Select Function Menu, select Option 1 – “Miscellaneous”:
7.jpg

And on the Select Miscellaneous Function Menu, you’ll finally see the “ReLearn Cam Crank” function as Option Number 4. Select it:
8.jpg

After this, you can exit all menus (use the “Page Back” button) and just drive your TJ. The PCM will automatically do its thing.

If You Rotate Your OPDA
Some TJ owners have reported rotating their OPDA to fix cam crank sync issues. Doing so is not a bad idea, but doing so blindly is just relying on luck to get the right position. In fact, for the JTEC+ PCM, it’s actually part of the “SET SYNC” process. See the “Cam Sensor Calibration for JTEC+ PCMs with Electronic Ignition (2000-2004 TJs)” section above for more on that.

However, for the NGC PCM, it’s not covered in the manual, and I suspect that it’s not because no need to do so existed until aftermarket cam sensors become our sole option. Other people have looked at the signals produced by various aftermarket sensors with an oscilloscope, and those sensors were found to output longer pulses than that of the OEM sensors. As a result, the OPDA may need to be rotated to keep the cam and crank sensors in sync.

If your NGC PCM-equipped TJ (2005-2006) throws the P0016 code (or runs poorly) after performing the Cam Crank Relearn function and driving it for a bit, you may want to try rotating your OPDA, especially if you just installed a new aftermarket cam sensor (Note: this is speculation on my part – I have not confirmed that this works.)

Instead of just doing it blindly, there is an output in the diagnostic data stream that may be helpful. It’s called “Cam Crank Difference,” and it’s measured in crankshaft degrees. As with the JTEC+ PCM’s “SET SYNC” procedure, this value should be set to zero (or as close to it as possible). Again, I have not tried this myself, but I suspect that monitoring this value while rotating the OPDA (with the engine running and in closed loop mode), with the goal of getting it to be zero, will get your TJ running properly.

Here are the screen shots showing how to monitor this value, starting at the Main Menu (the highlighted menu item in each screen is the one to select in order to proceed):
9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

If anyone tries this and has anything to add, please respond to this thread so that I can update this accordingly.

Happy syncing!

There's a pdf version of this post attached.

Attachments

• Cam Sensor Syncing.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 212
Can anyone describe the OPDA rotation process? Ie what is closed loop mode? And I assume you loosen the bracket nut on the OPDA and rotate but clockwise or counter? Thanks

Though a DRB III would be nice, they're very expensive. There are, however, more affordable bidirectional scanners that can perform similar functions. I picked up an Autotel MK808S a couple of weeks ago for about $350 and one of the first things I did was check the cam/crank orientation and found it was 08°. The Autel scanner does also have Cam Crank Relearn in Special functions.

There are a number of videos on YouTube about how use a scanner to sync the cam/crank on 2000-2004 TJ but none of the 2005-2006 TJs with the OPDA. As was pointed out, the manual for the 2005-2006 TJs does not describe the process to sync the cam/crank by rotating the OPDA.

Last edited:
what is closed loop mode?

When you start a cold engine, the PCM starts in open loop mode. After it warms up, the PCM switches to closed loop mode. In closed loop mode, the PCM adjusts the injector pulse width (how much fuel is metered into the cylinder) based upon the O2 sensor readings. Closed loop mode keeps the engine operating at optimum air-fuel ratios. Most code scanners will display which mode is being used currently.

Can anyone describe the OPDA rotation process? And I assume you loosen the bracket nut on the OPDA and rotate but clockwise or counter? Thanks

Yes, loosen the bracket nut. Which way you turn it depends on the cam crank difference value. Which way to turn it depends on your particular situation.

... and one of the first things I did was check the cam/crank orientation and found it was 08°. The Autel scanner does also have Cam Crank Relearn in Special functions.

Are you saying that the Cam Crank Difference was 8°? Did you perform a ReLearn after reading that, and if so, did that value change?

Are you saying that the Cam Crank Difference was 8°? Did you perform a ReLearn after reading that, and if so, did that value change?

That's a typo... It was 0.8°. Yes, I was able to rotate the OPDA and adjust orientation and the scanner then indicated the new cam/crank difference.

I'm not sure how the relearn with the DRB III works but with the MK808S, the ignition must be off when performing the cam/crank relearn. Starting the engine will then provide the new cam/crank orientation in Live data. Because I could not find any instruction specific to the 2005-2006 TJ, I was rotating the OPDA with the engine off, tightening the retaining bolt, then going through cam/crank relearn and starting the engine. I believe that I could rotate the OPDA with the engine running, like the 2000-2004 TJs, but I didn't see a benefit to doing so when I was already within spec. The cam/crank is currently at -0.5.

Reactions: Good Hope and sab
Thanks for the incredible write-up @sab.

A local shop accidentally rotated my OPDA when doing an engine install after replacing my freeze plugs, so the vehicle would not run.

Long story short, I blindly turned the OPDA until I got into a workable range, then turned it in each direction to find the limits. I then adjusted the OPDA between the limits and have been driving it that way for two years. I don't recommend that method to anyone, but I was backed into a corner.

I'd like to further dial things in.

@AjRagno, it sounds like the bidirectional information allowed you to rotate manually closer to 0*.

Does the relearn process allow the PCM to view the -.05* difference as 0* (synched) instead?

Reactions: sab
@AjRagno, it sounds like the bidirectional information allowed you to rotate manually closer to 0*.

Does the relearn process allow the PCM to view the -.05* difference as 0* (synched) instead?

Yes, rotating the OPDA will change the cam/crank orientation and the new orientation will be displayed in Live data. Live data also indicates whether or not the cam/crank are in sync and separately indicates the difference in degrees.

Reactions: sab and MikeE024
Great information but I, like many folks, am not a mechanic or necessarily mechanically inclined. I live in the Seattle area and am wondering how I can find someone who has a DRB111 scanning tool and who can perform this for me? I installed a new Criown OPDA a year ago in my 2005 4.0 automatic and once in a while my Jeep throws a P0344 Camshaft Position Sensor A - Bank1 CKT Intermittant code. It did it yesterday on a 212 mile drive but the weird thing is, after another 60-75 miles of driving, the engine light went out. When I installed the new OPDA I didn't do a relearn process that I can remember. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Great information but I, like many folks, am not a mechanic or necessarily mechanically inclined. I live in the Seattle area and am wondering how I can find someone who has a DRB111 scanning tool and who can perform this for me? I installed a new Criown OPDA a year ago in my 2005 4.0 automatic and once in a while my Jeep throws a P0344 Camshaft Position Sensor A - Bank1 CKT Intermittant code. It did it yesterday on a 212 mile drive but the weird thing is, after another 60-75 miles of driving, the engine light went out. When I installed the new OPDA I didn't do a relearn process that I can remember. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Hey there

Good news on two fronts

1. You don’t necessarily need a drbiii to perform this. I have an autel MK808s and did the adjustment and relearn easily. I can’t vouch for things like snapon but I know the 800 and 900 series bidirectional Autel scanners work.

2. It’s really easy! I’m not mechanical either. If you have access to a device like above I’d be happy to FaceTime or chat and walk you through it one day.

I totally get being nervous about working on it but the cost of labor to ease of work ratio is heavily in favor of doing it yourself IF you can get the tool.

Brett

Thanks for the speedy reply. Let me see about finding the Autel MK808s and then get back with you. Thanks again!

After I wrote this, @Bigfoot-NM contacted me by PM and he did some additional testing on his rig. He was successfully able to use a Thinkdiag2 Bluetooth scanner to perform the Cam Crank Relearn. Additionally, he confirmed that you can rotate the OPDA and dial it in while watching the Cam Crank Difference value to get that very close to zero before performing the ReLearn, which should help with aftermarket sensor issues. He also made this very cool discovery (his words):

On the 05/06 PCM, you don't need a DRB III or any scan tool with the relearn function to reset the Learned number. You can disconnect the battery, and touch the positive cable to the negative post to reset the PCM. It also resets the Learned number. On next start up, let it idle for a minute or two and the new Learned number is stored.

Reactions: J.Pierce
Thanks for the info. I knew you can disconnect the negative cable for a few minutes,( I usually do it for 10), to reset the PCM. I'm not sure why touching the positive connector to the negative cable would reset the PCM any differently than what I do but I'm willing to try! Thanks again.

I had another thought. Can you write the fellow who told you, "you can disconnect the battery, and touch the positive cable to the negative post to reset the PCM." Are you suppose to disconnect both cables from the battery and then touch the positive cable to the negative post or leave the negative cable connected to its post, disconnect the positive from its post and then touch it to the negative post that is still connected to the negative cable?? Thank you again for your help.

I had another thought. Can you write the fellow who told you, "you can disconnect the battery, and touch the positive cable to the negative post to reset the PCM." Are you suppose to disconnect both cables from the battery and then touch the positive cable to the negative post or leave the negative cable connected to its post, disconnect the positive from its post and then touch it to the negative post that is still connected to the negative cable?? Thank you again for your help.

Disconnect only the positive battery lead. Touch the positive battery lead to the negative terminal of the battery. Leave the cable on the negative post connected.

Reactions: MikeE024
Thanks for the info. I knew you can disconnect the negative cable for a few minutes,( I usually do it for 10), to reset the PCM. I'm not sure why touching the positive connector to the negative cable would reset the PCM any differently than what I do but I'm willing to try! Thanks again.

Holding the +/- cables together for 30 seconds completely drains the capacitors in the pcm. It's called a global reset. It pretty much wipes all stored data and forces the pcm to do a relearn.

Hey guys, Bigfoot-NM, SAB, williambmac and everyone else, thanks very much for your insight and help. It's just mind blowing that for all the expertise Chrysler is supposed to have that they could not have come up with a more simpler and reliable means of managing the inner workings of the PCM, CAM and Crank sensor functions of this engine.

Hey guys, Bigfoot-NM, SAB, williambmac and everyone else, thanks very much for your insight and help. It's just mind blowing that for all the expertise Chrysler is supposed to have that they could not have come up with a more simpler and reliable means of managing the inner workings of the PCM, CAM and Crank sensor functions of this engine.

Glad to help, HeffTJ, but I disagree with your statement. As an engineer with some experience in the design of fuel injection systems, I think Chrysler's method is both simple and reliable. Or, at least as simple and reliable as any other fuel-injected engine I've worked with. Fuel injection is a bit complicated, and the Federal Motor Vehicle and EPA standards make it even more so.

Once you know how to do it, and have the right computer, replacing cam and crank position sensors is pretty simple.