Uwharrie National Forrest 12-1-20

MountaineerTom

LJ Enthusiast, Retired USAF Weapons Loader
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Me and my best friend took off yesterday to hit the trails at Uwharrie. It was about a 2-1/2 drive one way. I didn't even try Daniel Trail because I Know I wouldn't make it up that wall. We did hit all the other trails though. I've got a few videos here from my camera mounted on the windshield. The videos Will took were great, but the quality degraded when he sent them to me, so were going to try and download them onto my laptop or cut them on a disk tomorrow.

There had been lots of rain Sunday and Monday so I was a little worried how bad the trails would be, especially on Dickey Bell which I really wanted to try. They weren't too bad at all. Way better than I expected. I went up and down Dutch John a couple times without problems.

I ran the tires at 12 psi. At one point going up the Dicky Bell hill climb, I was in a spot where it kept spinning the drivers rear in the soft mush in the ditch. Will lowered the passengers rear psi down to 10 so it would grab the rock it was spinning on a little better. And we piled a few rocks in the ditch on the left to compensate for the mush in there. I wish I had thought to pile rocks in there when we walked the hill and I may not have had a problem.

I was a little apprehensive about trying Dickey Bell. After walking it, I felt more at ease about doing it. Plus running all the other trails before hand built up my confidence I guess. This was by far the hardest off-roading I've done in it since owning it. The Jeep really impressed me. I guess I was most worried that I only have 31's , no lockers and only 2-1/2 inches of lift. The ol' girl did good.

The only trail damage I've found is on the transfer skid, from a rock that I didn't even see, on a part of the trail that wasn't even hard, and small scuffs on the passengers rear wheel. It looks like the Savvy engine skid took a couple scrapes in the area of the transmission pan, so I was glad I had it.

IMG_0580.JPG

IMG_0591.JPG

IMG_0583.JPG
IMG_0594.JPG
IMG_0600.JPG
IMG_0604.JPG
IMG_0609.JPG

IMG_0642.JPG

IMG_0644.JPG

IMG_0645.JPG

IMG_0641.JPG

IMG_0622a.jpg
IMG_0626a.jpg
IMG_0629a.jpg
IMG_0630a.jpg

Last edited:
Dickey Bell, part 1

Dickey Bell, part 2

Last edited:
It was fun. I'm on vacation this week so I picked Tuesday to go because I figured it wouldn't be very crowded. I guess I was right cause we only seen 5 or 6 other vehicles, a hand full of dirt bikers and one UTV.

Reactions: DrDmoney and Irun
nice pics and videos. Always enjoy Uwharrie and hate I didn't make it there this year. We usually stay in those uhwarrie cabins down the road from the OHV park entrance and they make for a great home base for a weekend. Nice to see someone else from SC as well!

Reactions: MountaineerTom
nice pics and videos. Always enjoy Uwharrie and hate I didn't make it there this year. We usually stay in those uhwarrie cabins down the road from the OHV park entrance and they make for a great home base for a weekend. Nice to see someone else from SC as well!

Thanks. It was definitely fun.