• Want to add an app icon for this forum to your mobile device's home screen? Check out this thread to see how.
  • Have an event you want to share? Check out the new forum event calendar and how-to use it in this thread here.
  • To both new members and existing members, please read this thread about posting your topics in the correct sub-forum. It makes my job (and my life) a lot easier!

Vacuum reservoir replacement?

jhetcel23TJ

So in tracing a vacuum leak I disconnected the vacuum reservoir (#5 in the picture below), when giving it a shake there is a rattle coming from inside the reservoir box. Is there a way to test that the reservoir is working properly? What does the reservoir do exactly? And where can I find a replacement if needed?

2003 Jeep TJ, 4.0 I-6.

1565783872110.png

pagrey

TJ Addict
Turn the Jeep off, wait a few minutes and then turn the HVAC controls to another setting and see if it still operates. If the reservoir is working it will still operate the vents, if it is leaking they won't work.

It's just an empty container to "store" vacuum.

Jerry Bransford

TJ Guru
Supporting Member

Daryl

2004 Rubicon
Supporting Member
Last edited:
Reactions: pagrey

pagrey

TJ Addict
There has been a check valve either on or inside every vacuum reservoir cannister I have ever seen.

The black object on top of this cannister is its check valve... https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/63010/10002/-1?gclid=Cj0KCQjw4s7qBRCzARIsAImcAxaI_9Et25mdjFM-RKCVmSQ1HgsntdBmGKcw_cGVu7fGEFmTU1gPcKIaAgYWEALw_wcB
That reservoir has two hoses, ours has one. The check valve is in the vacuum line by the master cylinder.

With a single line it would not work with a check valve.

Reactions: K0LCB and Daryl
OP
jhetcel23TJ

jhetcel23TJ

Well, tested HVAC controls and works just fine. Guess it doesn't need replacement and not the source of my leak.

Reactions: pagrey

Daryl

2004 Rubicon
Supporting Member
Well, tested HVAC controls and works just fine. Guess it doesn't need replacement and not the source of my leak.
Do you have access to a mity vac? If not, see if you can borrow one from AutoZone. That way you can pull a vacuum on each component to find the leak.

HTOMT 2 in 1 Brake Bleeder Kit Hand held Vacuum Pump Test Set for Automotive with Sponge Protected Case,Adapters,One-Man Brake and Clutch Bleeding System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07471TKRF/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: K0LCB