Value Opinion

Mugsy

I'm back with another value question.
1999 Wrangler, 6 cal., manual, AC, soft top, 50k miles, after market wheels with new tires and new brake (pads) at a CA dealer for $11,999.

This seems about $2k too much but low mileage Jeeps in the San Francisco Bay area seem to be hard to find.

What do you all think?

How is the underside? 100% rust free?

I paid $19,500 for my 2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon here in Portland, Oregon. It was completely rust free, and came with a hard top.

I think that that price might be a tad bit high, possibly $1000-$2000 to high.

However, I will say that it depends a lot on the area. A clean TJ here in the Pacific Northwest will fetch a pretty penny for sure. Depending on how many clean ones there are for sale in your area (check Craigslist), that price may not be that far out of line. Still, if you like it, I'd offer them 1k less and see what they say.

Having a hard top adds value, so the fact that it doesn't have one (not that you need it), should be a means for talking them down on price.

Way too much IMO.

I paid $7k for my 99 TJ with zero rust (in PA!) and full maintenance report (excellent)....four years ago.

Dealers up the price like crazy. Avoid.

How many miles on each Jeep at purchase: this one is only 50k which seems to be damn hard to find?

Offer them 7 for it. When they get over their fake shock then the really haggling can start.

I would say $10,000 - $11,000 is a fair price for this TJ if its an original California jeep that's rust free. I paid $12,000 for my 02 sport with 42,000 miles from a private seller in San Jose in May. And I had to put new tires on it. The seller had multiple people lined up to buy it if that gives you any indication. rust free, stock, low mileage jeeps are very hard to come by. It took me about a year to find this one after I had missed out on a few other low mileage jeeps. If you like the color and the condition of it offer the dealer $10,000 and see what he comes back with.