VegasOPM’s 2006 Jeep Wrangler X

VegasOPM

Supporting Member
After a 30 years without one, I just bought a 2006 Jeep TJ. I've already got a Chevy Blazer that has been converted to full "Crawler" status- so this one is going to stay mild. I've been looking for a drivable 4x4 with AC, Heat and a decent stereo system for less than $9,000. Got this one for $6,000 from a friend of mine with a 4.0 and 105K on the clock. It needs some love, but it looks great and everything works.

I've been having a problem with clearing the Check Engine light. The code was for low voltage from the fuel sending unit. I replaced the entire pump assembly, but it didn't solve the problem- so I'm troubleshooting it.

The rig already has new lower control arms, 33"x 12.50 tires, 3.5" lift, crossover steering and upgraded front and rear bumpers. I've replaced the soft windows, U-joints, brakes and changed all fluids.

IMG_0740.JPG

IMG_0714.JPG

IMG_0713.JPG

Reactions: KCsTJ and Chris
Reliability, camping and general trail use. I don't want to go crazy with it since I already have a trailer queen. I really want something that I can just play with and enjoy.

IMG_0225.JPG

Reactions: Chris
That thing is awesome!

I hear you, I’m on the same page too. I don’t want mine to ever get to that point where it’s a trailer queen. If I wanted that, I would build a separate vehicle just for that purpose.

Finally got the electrical gremlins sorted, so I could get this thing smogged and licensed- it turns out there was a broken wire deep in the loom. I also did some upgrades, new tires, new rear bumper delete, tube fenders front and rear and finally got it on the trail. It did very well and I couldn't be happier with the way it looks. Smaller format front bumper is being built and a new stereo is on the way- then this thing will be good to go (at least for the moment)...

IMG_1064.JPG

IMG_1063.JPG

IMG_1065.JPG

Quick upgrade this morning of new speakers. I bought new 4x6" and 5.25" Kicker speakers from Crutchfield and dropped them in. I was shocked at how easy and quick it was. 30 minutes start to end and sound has improved dramatically. I have a new head unit on the way and a powered, low profile sub that will go under the passenger seat. I have some time this weekend to get those installed.

Quick upgrade this morning of new speakers. I bought new 4x6" and 5.25" Kicker speakers from Crutchfield and dropped them in. I was shocked at how easy and quick it was. 30 minutes start to end and sound has improved dramatically. I have a new head unit on the way and a powered, low profile sub that will go under the passenger seat. I have some time this weekend to get those installed.
Which powered sub did you go with?

Before and After. Amazing what $140 for Neoprene seat covers and 1 hour of time can do for the interior of the Jeep.

IMG_1179.JPG

IMG_1182.JPG

The 8" powered sub was okay, but I really like thump... so a 12" Kicker Box and a Rockford Fosgate amp took its place. Those were sitting on the shelf from a previous project car- so no real expense. The powered sub will go into the crawler I think.

IMG_1178.JPG

IMG_1181.JPG

Hard to take pictures of gears, but I upgraded from 3.73 to 4.56 and I couldn't be happier. I am running 33's and the 3.73's were horrible- no power on the highway, downshifts took forever. Now it is a whole new rig!

New front bumper and new CB. Plus trans fluid and filter change- which led to a new trans pan since the old one was warped. Also flushed the brake fluid and an oil change. Its running like new and looks exactly like I want.

IMG_1435.JPG

IMG_1436.JPG