Vehicle Antitheft Options

112dB

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere. I did do a bit of searching here before posting but I may have overlooked something.

I'm looking for options to prevent the *entire vehicle* from being stolen. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm open to something as simple as a hidden ignition cutoff switch or an actual alarm.

My PO had installed a generic alarm with pager, etc. but when I bought it, the alarm no longer worked, so I took it out. I am also putting in an aftermarket stereo, but all but the head unit should look stock. I have a Clarion M508 in there now, but will be replacing it with an older Alpine model with a removable faceplate which I plan to store in a tuffy under seat lockbox. I've thought a fair bit about keeping the stereo in the jeep, but I'm curious what others are doing to keep the jeep from disappearing.

What kind of theft are you worried about? If is just a casual thief then a simple kill switch and some visual deterrents will be enough. If somebody really wants it and has a flatbed there isn't much you can do. When I lived in Phoenix AZ I had 2 attempted thefts on my Jeep within the 1st few months of owning it. The first one I stopped with a tire iron. The second one was prevented with a good steering wheel lock. After watching the 1st thief break in I realized our door locks are useless. After the second attempt I went a step further for visual deterrents by installing electric locks and replacing the locks cylinders with chrome bolts. I figured if anybody went to break the locks it would give them pause and they would realize it wouldn't be an easy steal.

Reactions: The Real Lxxtsy
What kind of theft are you worried about? If is just a casual thief then a simple kill switch and some visual deterrents will be enough. If somebody really wants it and has a flatbed there isn't much you can do. When I lived in Phoenix AZ I had 2 attempted thefts on my Jeep within the 1st few months of owning it. The first one I stopped with a tire iron. The second one was prevented with a good steering wheel lock. After watching the 1st thief break in I realized our door locks are useless. After the second attempt I went a step further for visual deterrents by installing electric locks and replacing the locks cylinders with chrome bolts. I figured if anybody went to break the locks it would give them pause and they would realize it wouldn't be an easy steal.

I understand the futility of trying to prevent the 'flatbed' scenario. :) I just want to deter the casual but perhaps experienced thief (if there is such a thing). There are plenty of other jeeps around here I just need it to be harder than the average.

The SKIM module in that other thread looks like it may be what I'm looking for.

Adding a SKIM module is a good idea but can also be worked around. Definitely do something visual to make thieves move on to the next Jeep. Even if the SKIM works you will still be looking at having fix everything they break attempting to start it. I watched the first thief open my Jeep in a crowded parking lot. Had it not been mine I wouldn't have even realized he was breaking into it.

Adding a SKIM module is a good idea but can also be worked around. Definitely do something visual to make thieves move on to the next Jeep. Even if the SKIM works you will still be looking at having fix everything they break attempting to start it. I watched the first thief open my Jeep in a crowded parking lot. Had it not been mine I wouldn't have even realized he was breaking into it.

Ah that reminds me of how a friend and I made thieves VERY uncomfortable
with a few small Arduino boards and some cheap PIR (passive infrared sensors).
We took PIR sensors and put them all around the vehicle's windows.
When you got within about a foot from any of the sensors the PIR would sense the person's body temp.
Then a green laser pointer attached to a stepper motor would then rotate said laser pointer towards that heat source untill it was out of range. with tinted windows they think rifle / pistol and soil themselves leaving the scene of the joke.

OK so what about putting an RFID chip sticker on the bottom of your favorite mug and a cheap sensor from these guys https://www.ebay.com/c/1075053909 under the cup holder tied to the Auto shut down relay, if the mug isn't there you are going no where fast

Reactions: Byhumba
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
You can install a viper car alarm, there set up so that you can hook it up to the door switches, also there’s a option for a motion sensor. The ones I’ve installed have two zones. One will make it beep 5 times then if you brake the perimeter of the inside zone it will set off the alarm. You have the ability to adjust how far the zones go out on the sensor.
Personally what I use isn’t going to prevent my Jeep from getting stolen, but I will at least get the bastards that do it. I have a battery powered gps on my Jeep. The battery lasts about 2 years before it needs to be replaced. Unfortunately there is a subscription fee because it uses a 4g network, but I have one on my Jeep, boat, car and tool box at this point.

886D9F58-F530-4579-BB9A-4E956D89D5D6.jpeg

Definitely do something visual to make thieves move on to the next Jeep.

good point - I always figured that an empty box of .45 ACP sitting in the passenger seat next to an empty holster would work. I may lean toward a Viper or a something similar.

Reactions: SPECWAR
I have something similar to this, though not this brand. It's worked well over the past five or six years and even has a valet mode. Yeah....

Pisses off the mechanics I've used over the years to do the work I can't (alignment, etc.) as they often forget to enter the code and can't start the Jeep. The blasting horn reminds them of my instructions prior to drop off.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079G5BYYR/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I had a Viper alarm in my previous Jeep that the a-holes were able to bypass. It was about 10 years ago so newer Viper alarms may be improved now. My Killswitch I recommended above is what saved my Jeep. You can tell they took their time looking for my switch, but because it is a magnetic switch, I hid it being my center console.

They left a mess with my wires on my steering wheel column hanging, and the ignition and door locks destroyed. My insurance paid for the repairs, which took 3 days. I will put a sticker that says, "this Jeep is being tracked by GPS" on the steering wheel as a deterrent.

1 million BTU's aughta' set them straight.

source.gif

But honestly the magnet kill switch would be pretty effective. It's all in how well you can hide it.

• Haha
Reactions: Byhumba
entire vehicle? I don't think you need to think too much, a vehicle antitheft GPS can retrieve the car at a critical moment. All you have to do is find a hidden GPS, and then place it in a secret location to ensure that it can track the car's location normally every day. That's all.

Look into Ravelco! Ties into the wiring system. Is super simple. And has never been beat. Once we get this next stimulus check I'll be giving them a call. 🤣😉 it's a key fob you unplug out of your console to disable the jeep and then plug back in to drive. Install + product costs $500 I've seen.

Look into Ravelco! Ties into the wiring system. Is super simple. And has never been beat. Once we get this next stimulus check I'll be giving them a call. 🤣😉 it's a key fob you unplug out of your console to disable the jeep and then plug back in to drive. Install + product costs $500 I've seen.
Did you install this?

I installed a remote control kill switch and my hood has locks so the thieves would need to break the hood locks and find the remote control kill switch. The only issue is my radio always defaults back to factory since all the power is killed on my Jeep.
The price of the unit is $40 and has 2x remotes and is found on ebay. An item I highly recommend and use often.

Screenshot_20210925-203946_eBay.jpg

Reactions: MikeE024
I installed a remote control kill switch and my hood has locks so the thieves would need to break the hood locks and find the remote control kill switch. The only issue is my radio always defaults back to factory since all the power is killed on my Jeep.
The price of the unit is $40 and has 2x remotes and is found on ebay. An item I highly recommend and use often.

View attachment 281954
Thanks for sharing this information. I have a transponder key, but I'm considering doing more to deter potential thieves. This is great.

Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere. I did do a bit of searching here before posting but I may have overlooked something.

I'm looking for options to prevent the *entire vehicle* from being stolen. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm open to something as simple as a hidden ignition cutoff switch or an actual alarm.

My PO had installed a generic alarm with pager, etc. but when I bought it, the alarm no longer worked, so I took it out. I am also putting in an aftermarket stereo, but all but the head unit should look stock. I have a Clarion M508 in there now, but will be replacing it with an older Alpine model with a removable faceplate which I plan to store in a tuffy under seat lockbox. I've thought a fair bit about keeping the stereo in the jeep, but I'm curious what others are doing to keep the jeep from disappearing.
Offroad only is the way to go,

Ah that reminds me of how a friend and I made thieves VERY uncomfortable
with a few small Arduino boards and some cheap PIR (passive infrared sensors).
My 9 year old boy recently got into arduino. We're making a kill switch for the TJ, I'm thinking a 4 or 5 button keypad or a hidden momentary switch that enables the ASD relay. He's working on the code right now & trying to figure out the 12v power supply.

Reactions: MikeE024