Vehicle recommendation

Jramos013

Supporting Member
Well, my dad ask me to find him a car between 4k-7k. Heres the thing, my dad never been to keen on keeping up with car maintanance. He can go for a year, even a bit more without an oil change. Same thing for the rest of the fluids, except for gasoline. That being said, any car, doesn't matter how good, will get destroyed eventually without proper maintenance. Whats a good vehicle that can take that kind of abuse? Also take in consideration bad roads, 50/50 city/highway.

So far, the longer lasting suv that he had was a 03 Nissan Xterra. He had it for about 5 years. Appreciate any input

Last edited:
I had a 2003 explorer. Drove it for 13 years. I bought it with just under 30,000 miles on it and when I got rid of it it was around 200,000. Used to drive 100 miles a day round trip for work. Six days a week. Only real problems I had were wheel bearing/hub assemblies. I think I put a total of 5 on it. Oh and when it had low miles still I had a broken valve spring.

Reactions: Jramos013
Corolla. Reliable. Meant to be abused. Inexpensive. Car.
This. I am storing my nephew's 2000 Corolla in our barn while he is away for a few months. It has 190K on it and probably hasn't had and oil change in 20K, maybe more. Deer hits, pothole bombing dirt road runs and general lack of maintenance. It still starts and runs great.

Is there a toyota suv that has the same engine as a corolla? My dad is a big guy, 350lb, 6'. Not sure if he would fit fine in a corolla. Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Reactions: Greenmachine
Since any car is going to be neglected, I'd get a car that has a good safety reputation, along with being reliable. Have you considered a Subaru?

Is there a toyota suv that has the same engine as a corolla? My dad is a big guy, 350lb, 6'. Not sure if he would fit fine in a corolla. Thanks for the suggestions so far!
Find a toyota matrix same engine as the corolla 1.8 4 banger, reliable, bigger than corolla, great gas mileage, more storage.

I’m 6’6” and have had 2 corollas. A 1988 and a 2009. They were fine for room.