Very subtle fluttering or ticking sounds from under my car or in the engine

Mazepam

TJ Enthusiast
Hello all,

I'm sure this as been asked about before but I'm experiencing a very soft fluttering sound almost like someone is shuffling a deck of cards, its probably coming from under me or from the engine, although i notice it when my doors and top are on. I can hear it mostly in 1st and 2nd gear between 2000 and 2500 rpm, i feel like anything over that the road noise and tires drown it out. Also i can hear it when I'm parked in neutral and i rev the engine. At first I thought it was coming from the passenger side, but its been relatively nice in New Jersey the past couple weeks so i always have the top down and doors off and it sounds like its coming from under the car. I started the car and went under it and I can't hear it when its idol. Also it sounds like it mimics the rpm of my vehicle, so if if the rpm goes up the sound frequency also go up.

History of my vehicle i just bought it 3 weeks ago, 2005 x with only 38k miles on it 6 speed manual, it had a rear main seal leak and a leak in the steering box which were fixed by the dealership before i bought it, other than that everything has been working perfectly. I've been driving it around 30 miles a day everyday since no issues at all, the only thing is this sound.

I'm leaning towards a minor exhaust leak somewhere. But i wouldn't be surprised if its from a belt or just the engine in general. Also i would need to have someone rev the engine and then me get under the car and listen, my brother is going to be home tomorrow i can try that.

Its very slight and it sounds like someone shuffling a deck of cards it doesn't sound like a loud tick. Any idea what direction i should take or if anyone has had the same experience?

Everything you described sounds exactly like what mine does. Pretty sure it's an exhaust leak. I also happen to have clogged cats. A buddy of mine recommended getting an exhaust shop to install a test pipe and toss the cats. IDK how tough jersey's laws are though.

Last edited:
Yeah my job today is to check all around the manifold. It's just such a slight sound, it doesn't sound like any of the ones i try and search for on youtube as an example those are all loud noticeable ticking. If i took a video of this from the drivers seat you wouldn't even notice it in the video.

Reactions: Tob
Everything you described sounds exactly like what mine does. Pretty sure it's an exhaust leak. I also happen to have clogged cats. A buddy of mine recommended getting an exhaust shop to install a test pipe and toss the cats. IDK how tough jersey's laws are though.

Whew Idk about Jersey haha, i would imagine we are one step below California which is probably way below it but still. Everything else on the exhaust seems fine, I'm going to try and pin point it today.

Welcome to the 4.0 6 cylinder rumble, they all do it eventually but your with only 38K is a bit pre mature. It's a tractor motor and it sounds like a tractor motor.

Ah i love that you have the same color as me.

Yeah the previous owner almost never drove it apparently it was his weekend car he kept it in the garage most of the year and only took it out when it was nice out so i assume it sitting for so long can cause these problems.

It also has the neutral transmission rattle which is no big deal not a problem.

I just youtubed tractor motor sounds... its the same fluttering sound i hear...

So 50 seconds into this video that portion where he revs it, its almost exactly what i hear the very faint fluttering undertone.

So i guess its normal.