Veterans Now Get Free Access to National Parks

I see they added the gold star and veterans instead of just current.

A3C70E5E-6390-4F77-B355-C613E356771D.jpeg

Reactions: Rick Flair
Disabled vets could already get free lifetime passes too. Saved me a bunch of skrilla. Nice to see Trump extend it to all vets. I never really realized how few people have served compared to our population.

Disabled vets could already get free lifetime passes too. Saved me a bunch of skrilla. Nice to see Trump extend it to all vets. I never really realized how few people have served compared to our population.
Yeah what is it, less that 1% of the population at any given point?

Great change! My daughter is in 4th grade, so we're going to get her pass this year. When my son was in 4th we went to Utah and did several parks there that year.

If you want a laugh, check out Subpar Parks. The artist takes quotes from 1-star reviews of parks and turns them into posters. It's really funny.

https://subparparks.com/

Sounds good I'm theory. I don't think they are making a profit though, so the money probably goes to park maintenance. But I guess we could raise taxes to keep them up instead if you insist 😆
Trump tried to double and triple the entrance fees to cover more park maintenance then retreated when about 98% of people objected. The entrance fees just make up a fraction of the parks' budget.

Trump tried to double and triple the entrance fees to cover more park maintenance then retreated when about 98% of people objected. The entrance fees just make up a fraction of the parks' budget.
Went to several parks this year. Yellowstone was the one I found most interesting, none of the visitors centers open but all the gift shops were.

Went to several parks this year. Yellowstone was the one I found most interesting, none of the visitors centers open but all the gift shops were.
I love Yellowstone! Haven't been there since 2002. We had planned to take my in-laws up there over the summer for their 50th anniversary, but we postponed due to Covid. Hopefully next year.

We spent about 3 days there last time. There's so much to see in one park! The waterfalls, hot springs, geysers, wildlife, etc. I'd love to go there in winter someday.

A few weeks ago we took the kids to see Bent's Old Fort, which is a unique historical site in the middle of nowhere. Worth a visit if you're ever in the area of the bustling metropolis of La Junta, CO.

I love Yellowstone! Haven't been there since 2002. We had planned to take my in-laws up there over the summer for their 50th anniversary, but we postponed due to Covid. Hopefully next year.

We spent about 3 days there last time. There's so much to see in one park! The waterfalls, hot springs, geysers, wildlife, etc. I'd love to go there in winter someday.

A few weeks ago we took the kids to see Bent's Old Fort, which is a unique historical site in the middle of nowhere. Worth a visit if you're ever in the area of the bustling metropolis of La Junta, CO.
Never heard of that one. I’ll have to check it out.

I must say may favorite national park is Wrangell St Elias, not as accessible which is likely why I like it. Ive camped in Denali and hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. The only major park I haven’t had the pleasure to visit is Yosemite but I’m hoping to cross that off while hitting the Rubicon next year.

Never heard of that one. I’ll have to check it out.

I must say may favorite national park is Wrangell St Elias, not as accessible which is likely why I like it. Ive camped in Denali and hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. The only major park I haven’t had the pleasure to visit is Yosemite but I’m hoping to cross that off while hitting the Rubicon next year.
I'd never heard of Wrangell St Elias. That looks amazing! I'd love to make it up to Alaska someday.

I was wrong on my year above - we did Yellowstone and Grand Tetons in 2004, not 2002. We did a big loop from Dallas to St. Louis to pick up my friend and his wife, up to SD to see the Badlands, Devil's Tower, west through the Beartooth Mountains, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, down to Rocky Mountain NP and visit friends in Denver, back to StL, and back to Dallas. It was a 2-week trip and lots of miles. 2 years later we got the heck out of Dallas and moved to Colorado.

In 2002 we did the southwest with those same friends. They came to Dallas and we went to Big Bend, Carlsbad Caverns, White Sands, Saguaro, backpacked the Grand Canyon, and back to Dallas. Good times! Now we all have kids and it's hard to do trips together.

Edit: Yosemite is so great too! We went out there with those same friends and saw Lake Tahoe back in '08. It's tied with Yellowstone for my favorite park.

I'd never heard of Wrangell St Elias. That looks amazing! I'd love to make it up to Alaska someday.

I was wrong on my year above - we did Yellowstone and Grand Tetons in 2004, not 2002. We did a big loop from Dallas to St. Louis to pick up my friend and his wife, up to SD to see the Badlands, Devil's Tower, west through the Beartooth Mountains, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, down to Rocky Mountain NP and visit friends in Denver, back to StL, and back to Dallas. It was a 2-week trip and lots of miles. 2 years later we got the heck out of Dallas and moved to Colorado.

In 2002 we did the southwest with those same friends. They came to Dallas and we went to Big Bend, Carlsbad Caverns, White Sands, Saguaro, backpacked the Grand Canyon, and back to Dallas. Good times! Now we all have kids and it's hard to do trips together.

Edit: Yosemite is so great too! We went out there with those same friends and saw Lake Tahoe back in '08. It's tied with Yellowstone for my favorite park.
We took the kids on pretty much that Yellowstone trip this year.

Tried to drive through Rocky Mountain NP on our way back from Moab But I didn’t have a reservation so they wouldn’t let me drive through. Didn’t even matter I had an annual pass. Had to go down through Denver.

Seems a little stupid. At the risk of sounding like an anti-masker, If the 'rona is dangerous enough to close the visitor center, isn't it dangerous enough to close the gift shop?

We really want to see Yosemite and/or Yellow Stone while we are in the states. Maybe in a couple of years.

Seems a little stupid. At the risk of sounding like an anti-masker, If the 'rona is dangerous enough to close the visitor center, isn't it dangerous enough to close the gift shop?

We really want to see Yosemite and/or Yellow Stone while we are in the states. Maybe in a couple of years.
Gift shops make money.

Grand Teton had both open and it’s what, an hour away.

Dinosaur Monument was fully open but required a reservation to go to the dig site.

Sounds good I'm theory. I don't think they are making a profit though, so the money probably goes to park maintenance. But I guess we could raise taxes to keep them up instead if you insist 😆

I certainly hope they're not making a profit.

And typical big government response.

Hey, why aren't you guys doing *insert thing they raised taxes for in the first place*

.Gov: Oh, you want that? Yeah, we can't do that unless you give us even more money.

The 2020 parks budget is around 2 billion. The feds spend more than that on toilet paper. But we have to pay admission to get into a park that we funded in the first place? GMAFB.

Obama killed the Senior pass somewhere around the beginning of his second term, before anyone over 62 qualified around a month before it took affect the parks dept put out an alert anyone holding a card was grandfathered in and if seniors applied before the deadline the card was good for life, if the card was lost tough luck...no replacement.