• Want to add an app icon for this forum to your mobile device's home screen? Check out this thread to see how.
  • Have an event you want to share? Check out the new forum event calendar and how-to use it in this thread here.
  • To both new members and existing members, please read this thread about posting your topics in the correct sub-forum. It makes my job (and my life) a lot easier!

VHF/UHF radio recommendation

Daryl

Bumblebee
Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2018
California, USA
I know you stated you were looking for a VHF/UHF radio, but what are you wanting a radio for. To communicate with others you wheel with or something for emergencies? For communication in your group get something that that will be compatible with that, most likely a CB. If you’re looking for a ham radio don’t forget you’re supposed to get a license to use one.

Reactions: WhizKid_CA
OP
WhizKid_CA

WhizKid_CA

Jul 23, 2018
Washington
I know you stated you were looking for a VHF/UHF radio, but what are you wanting a radio for. To communicate with others you wheel with or something for emergencies? For communication in your group get something that that will be compatible with that, most likely a CB. If you’re looking for a ham radio don’t forget you’re supposed to get a license to use one.
you are right, it's mostly for both emergencies and talk to my caravan, I already have my technicians licence, and so do the other drivers I'm usually with. I'm currently using a handheld, and wanted to get something more robust.

Mr. Bills

TJ Addict
Nov 24, 2017
Area Code 530
I have had good success with a Yaesu FT-90R compact dual band ham radio (still going after 15 years and now mounted in my street vehicle) and currently with a Kenwood TM-281A 2-meter in my jeep. I have never been a fan of Icom radios, the Alinco brand, or the Chinese junk that is now on the market.

Yaesu FT-90R
FT-90R_thumb.jpg

Kenwood TM-281A
41ES4-XMCCL.jpg

If I were in the market for a dual band mobile ham radio for my jeep today I would most likely purchase a Kenwood TM-V71A which can be upgraded in the future if desired to their top of the line TM-D710GA with the purchase of a RC-D710 control panel. If I were to go back to Yaesu I would probably choose the FT-7900R.

Kenwood TM-V71A
41J0lLBw0XL.jpg

Yaesu FT-7900R
FT-7900R_thumb.jpg

Reactions: WhizKid_CA
OP
WhizKid_CA

WhizKid_CA

Jul 23, 2018
Washington
Thanks, personal experience is mush appreciated
I have had good success with a Yaesu FT-90R compact dual band ham radio (still going after 15 years and now mounted in my street vehicle) and currently with a Kenwood TM-281A 2-meter in my jeep. I have never been a fan of Icom radios, the Alinco brand, or the Chinese junk that is now on the market.

Yaesu FT-90R
View attachment 54268

Kenwood TM-281A
View attachment 54269

If I were in the market for a dual band mobile ham radio for my jeep today I would most likely purchase a Kenwood TM-V71A which can be upgraded in the future if desired to their top of the line TM-D710GA with the purchase of a RC-D710 control panel. If I were to go back to Yaesu I would probably choose the FT-7900R.

Kenwood TM-V71A
View attachment 54270

Yaesu FT-7900R
View attachment 54271
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk