VHF/UHF radio recommendation

Daryl

Bumblebee
Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2018
California, USA
I know you stated you were looking for a VHF/UHF radio, but what are you wanting a radio for. To communicate with others you wheel with or something for emergencies? For communication in your group get something that that will be compatible with that, most likely a CB. If you’re looking for a ham radio don’t forget you’re supposed to get a license to use one.

OP
OP
WhizKid_CA

WhizKid_CA

Jul 23, 2018
Washington
I know you stated you were looking for a VHF/UHF radio, but what are you wanting a radio for. To communicate with others you wheel with or something for emergencies? For communication in your group get something that that will be compatible with that, most likely a CB. If you’re looking for a ham radio don’t forget you’re supposed to get a license to use one.
you are right, it's mostly for both emergencies and talk to my caravan, I already have my technicians licence, and so do the other drivers I'm usually with. I'm currently using a handheld, and wanted to get something more robust.

Mr. Bills

TJ Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2017
Area Code 530
I have had good success with a Yaesu FT-90R compact dual band ham radio (still going after 15 years and now mounted in my street vehicle) and currently with a Kenwood TM-281A 2-meter in my jeep. I have never been a fan of Icom radios, the Alinco brand, or the Chinese junk that is now on the market.

Yaesu FT-90R
FT-90R_thumb.jpg

Kenwood TM-281A
41ES4-XMCCL.jpg

If I were in the market for a dual band mobile ham radio for my jeep today I would most likely purchase a Kenwood TM-V71A which can be upgraded in the future if desired to their top of the line TM-D710GA with the purchase of a RC-D710 control panel. If I were to go back to Yaesu I would probably choose the FT-7900R.

Kenwood TM-V71A
41J0lLBw0XL.jpg

Yaesu FT-7900R
FT-7900R_thumb.jpg

. . . . . it's mostly for both emergencies and talk to my caravan. I already have my technicians licence, and so do the other drivers I'm usually with. I'm currently using a handheld, and wanted to get something more robust.
Here in British Columbia a VHF mobile is used on logging roads. Oversized traffic, call points, and caution are needed.

OP
OP
WhizKid_CA

WhizKid_CA

Jul 23, 2018
Washington
Thanks, personal experience is mush appreciated
I have had good success with a Yaesu FT-90R compact dual band ham radio (still going after 15 years and now mounted in my street vehicle) and currently with a Kenwood TM-281A 2-meter in my jeep. I have never been a fan of Icom radios, the Alinco brand, or the Chinese junk that is now on the market.

Yaesu FT-90R
View attachment 54268

Kenwood TM-281A
View attachment 54269

If I were in the market for a dual band mobile ham radio for my jeep today I would most likely purchase a Kenwood TM-V71A which can be upgraded in the future if desired to their top of the line TM-D710GA with the purchase of a RC-D710 control panel. If I were to go back to Yaesu I would probably choose the FT-7900R.

Kenwood TM-V71A
View attachment 54270

Yaesu FT-7900R
View attachment 54271
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Donations

Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum's operating expenses are primarily paid by the generous contributions of members.

Donate

Ride of the Month

Congratulations to Kiwi TJ for winning the November 2018 Ride of the Month!

November 2018 Ride of the Month

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TruckerDawgTJ63