VHF/UHF radio recommendation

I know you stated you were looking for a VHF/UHF radio, but what are you wanting a radio for. To communicate with others you wheel with or something for emergencies? For communication in your group get something that that will be compatible with that, most likely a CB. If you’re looking for a ham radio don’t forget you’re supposed to get a license to use one.

Reactions: WhizKid_CA
I know you stated you were looking for a VHF/UHF radio, but what are you wanting a radio for. To communicate with others you wheel with or something for emergencies? For communication in your group get something that that will be compatible with that, most likely a CB. If you’re looking for a ham radio don’t forget you’re supposed to get a license to use one.
you are right, it's mostly for both emergencies and talk to my caravan, I already have my technicians licence, and so do the other drivers I'm usually with. I'm currently using a handheld, and wanted to get something more robust.

I have had good success with a Yaesu FT-90R compact dual band ham radio (still going after 15 years and now mounted in my street vehicle) and currently with a Kenwood TM-281A 2-meter in my jeep. I have never been a fan of Icom radios, the Alinco brand, or the Chinese junk that is now on the market.

Yaesu FT-90R
FT-90R_thumb.jpg

Kenwood TM-281A
41ES4-XMCCL.jpg

If I were in the market for a dual band mobile ham radio for my jeep today I would most likely purchase a Kenwood TM-V71A which can be upgraded in the future if desired to their top of the line TM-D710GA with the purchase of a RC-D710 control panel. If I were to go back to Yaesu I would probably choose the FT-7900R.

Kenwood TM-V71A
41J0lLBw0XL.jpg

Yaesu FT-7900R
FT-7900R_thumb.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: WSS and WhizKid_CA
. . . . . it's mostly for both emergencies and talk to my caravan. I already have my technicians licence, and so do the other drivers I'm usually with. I'm currently using a handheld, and wanted to get something more robust.

Here in British Columbia a VHF mobile is used on logging roads. Oversized traffic, call points, and caution are needed.

Reactions: frank1
Thanks, personal experience is mush appreciated
I have had good success with a Yaesu FT-90R compact dual band ham radio (still going after 15 years and now mounted in my street vehicle) and currently with a Kenwood TM-281A 2-meter in my jeep. I have never been a fan of Icom radios, the Alinco brand, or the Chinese junk that is now on the market.

Yaesu FT-90R
View attachment 54268

Kenwood TM-281A
View attachment 54269

If I were in the market for a dual band mobile ham radio for my jeep today I would most likely purchase a Kenwood TM-V71A which can be upgraded in the future if desired to their top of the line TM-D710GA with the purchase of a RC-D710 control panel. If I were to go back to Yaesu I would probably choose the FT-7900R.

Kenwood TM-V71A
View attachment 54270

Yaesu FT-7900R
View attachment 54271

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Yaesu FT-90R
View attachment 54268

Kenwood TM-281A
View attachment 54269

Kenwood TM-V71A
View attachment 54270

Yaesu FT-7900R
View attachment 54271

A few years later, does this recommendation stand? Thanks!

I still like the Kenwood TM-V71A, however Kenwood no longer offers the RC-D710 control panel to upgrade the unit to a TM-D710GA so now the decision to purchase the top-of-the-line Kenwood needs to be made up front.

Yaesu no longer offers the FT-7900R. Its latest entry level UHF/VHF dual band is the FTM-72500R.

Reactions: SSTJ
I know this might be an unpopular opinion, but I’ve been running an anytone 778UV 25 watt in my Tahoe for two years now and it has been great: easy to program, easy to use, great reception and power output, and very compact, and very cheap Compared to my buddies icom he just installed at double the price, it is a much more usable interface with tactile knobs and multiple quick change menu options. Only down side is it is not a removable faceplate.

Don’t get me wrong I think you need to spend some money to play the HF game, I have a yaesu ft-891 for that stuff, but the anytone has been killer for working repeaters and simplex. I bought another one as a backup and I’ll throw one in the TJ soon enough.

I know this might be an unpopular opinion, but I’ve been running an anytone 778UV 25 watt in my Tahoe for two years now and it has been great: easy to program, easy to use, great reception and power output, and very compact, and very cheap Compared to my buddies icom he just installed at double the price, it is a much more usable interface with tactile knobs and multiple quick change menu options. Only down side is it is not a removable faceplate.

Don’t get me wrong I think you need to spend some money to play the HF game, I have a yaesu ft-891 for that stuff, but the anytone has been killer for working repeaters and simplex. I bought another one as a backup and I’ll throw one in the TJ soon enough.
I have the Retevis version of the 778UV - nice radio!

Reactions: brett313
Thanks @brett313 . Yes, @Zorba and I discovered that radio recently, and as he said he went with the same one under different branding. I'm still enjoying my baofeng HT, mulling over my options for the Jeep.

Reactions: brett313
The Yaesu FTM-400xdr is a good touch screen dual band with MARS/CAP capabilties. The mod is a 10 minute job, then you have the same freqs as the chinese stuff but way better quality. I run two of them in our dailys.

https://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?c...49&encProdID=227201D29C822AEFF8482F3367495319
The APRS function is also a fun detail.

That does look good. But for a new Ham like me, that one is more than 4x the price of a little Midland, and more than 6x the price of the same-but-differently-branded AnyTone/Retevis!

Reactions: WSS
I completely understand. But know that yaesu radios in general will provide 10 times the value returned in longevity and features.

I have at least 12 uv5r type of radios (2 in each vehicles GHB). I use the BF888 radios by the 100’s. I maintain two private school communications. Each has a dedicated off site repeater and then three local/simplex channels for non emergency comms.

i don’t fix the 888’s, I replace them. They actually do fairly well. 3-4 years the most common damage is water damage, then dead batteries.

I completely understand. But know that yaesu radios in general will provide 10 times the value returned in longevity and features.

I have at least 12 uv5r type of radios (2 in each vehicles GHB). I use the BF888 radios by the 100’s. I maintain two private school communications. Each has a dedicated off site repeater and then three local/simplex channels for non emergency comms.

i don’t fix the 888’s, I replace them. They actually do fairly well. 3-4 years the most common damage is water damage, then dead batteries.

Sounds good, thanks. And yes, I'd love to have a Yaesu some day. For now, I'm just getting familiar and playing around. So far my little UV-5R is lots of fun.

Sounds good, thanks. And yes, I'd love to have a Yaesu some day. For now, I'm just getting familiar and playing around. So far my little UV-5R is lots of fun.
The UV5r’s are good radios for the price range. Their weakness is water. You can get a duplexer and tie two radios together, connect to a drone and have a really high level repeater. Good for back country break downs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cross-Band...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1
There are cheaper but you need full duplex to work as a stand alone repeater.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.