Viair 400H Onboard Air Compressor Install (Lots of Photos)

jtbrigham

Supporting Member
I have a build thread running for my ongoing overhaul of a 2001 TJ here. This post on installing onboard air felt specific and robust enough to warrant a new thread. I hope I have found the right home for it here in General Discussion.

—-

I knew I wanted to add onboard air to my Jeep and ultimately decided on the Viair 400H compressor with no buffer tank. I did ample homework and think I have found the right solution for my need, which is pretty much just to air up my tires after time spent offroad.

A few points of note:
  • Along with the 400H compressor, I also bought the Viair bracket and modified it for a vertical install.
  • I custom made a rubber bumper for the compressor to rest on with some basic hardware and a forstner bit. I think this was overkill given the sturdiness of the bracket, but I'd rather have too much support than too little.
  • The 1/4" NPT street elbow and barb fitting on the inlet connects to a Ziair supplied hose that I ran into the cabin for a guaranteed clean and dry source of supply air.
  • The only parts I had to buy outside of the compressor, bracket and misc downstream air hoses were the street elbow, and stainless hardware. Everything else is supplied by Ziair with the compressor. **note** I also used two rubber grommets and made that rubber bumper. These are definitely not mandatory.
  • The electric hookup is easy. Ground the black wire and connect the red wire to the battery. Ziair supplies a 40amp fuse already wired into the red, hot lead. Simple.

The many pictures ought to make clear exactly how I installed things, but if anything is unclear, just ask.

IMG_1224.jpg

IMG_1225.jpg

IMG_1226.jpg

IMG_1227.jpg

IMG_1228.jpeg

IMG_1229.jpeg

IMG_1230.jpeg

IMG_1231.jpg

IMG_1232.jpeg

IMG_1234.jpeg

IMG_1236.jpeg

IMG_1241.jpeg

IMG_1242.jpg

IMG_1243.jpeg

IMG_1244.jpeg

IMG_1246.jpeg

IMG_1247.jpg

The compressor comes with the rubber on the mounting points.

IMG_1248.jpeg

IMG_1250.jpeg

IMG_1254.jpeg

IMG_1255.jpeg

This is the "bumper" I made to help support the compressor. Again, I think this was overkill, but I had the parts kicking around and it was simple enough.

IMG_1262.jpeg

IMG_1263.jpeg

IMG_1264.jpeg

I drilled the hole and added a rubber grommet (above). This lined up perfectly with the barb for a nice, in-line connection (below).

IMG_1265.jpeg

IMG_1266.jpeg

The black air line runs into the cab and ultimately terminates in a cheap plastic filter assembly, as supplied by Ziair. Always clean, always dry. I'm really happy with the setup.

IMG_1267.jpeg

IMG_1268.jpeg

I ziptied the braided stainless supply hose in place above the engine.

IMG_1269.jpeg

IMG_1270.jpeg

IMG_1271.jpeg

IMG_1272.jpg

I cut this notch and hit it with a rattle can. Nice and clean. You can also see the easy access to the on/off switch.

IMG_1273.jpeg

An underside view of the two mounting screws and the rubber bumper screw.

IMG_1274.jpeg

Last edited:
Very nice. I don't know how I missed this when it was posted.

I have the Viair 88P that I just keep in a plastic ammo can, but have thought about trying to mount it in the same place. I didn't even know they made brackets. I wonder if it will work with my 88P? I'll have to do some measuring, Thanks for posting this.

Reactions: jtbrigham
Very nice. I don't know how I missed this when it was posted.

I have the Viair 88P that I just keep in a plastic ammo can, but have thought about trying to mount it in the same place. I didn't even know they made brackets. I wonder if it will work with my 88P? I'll have to do some measuring, Thanks for posting this.

if you have an 05 or 06 (which I believe you do) it is a much easier install because it can go where the emissions stuff was on the earlier models.

29267617-8CA3-4098-9777-89D94ACDF7D8.jpeg

Hows this system holding holding up now that you've had it installed for 8 months or so?

Looks like a nice clean install.

I have this same compressor under my hood. I've had it for a few years now. I usually use a CO2 tank, but have the Viair for when my tank is empty or if someone else doesn't have air.

Mine has worked well, never overheated. Just takes a while with 37's. I'm considering the ARB twin, but that is expensive.

Reactions: Ephry73