Vibration at 50 mph

Chapman4266

TJ Enthusiast
I am new here and to my Rubicon. 06 no lift, tires have been balanced twice, no slop in u joints or anywhere else I can find. Vibration starts at 50 and gets worse the faster I go. I have read through a mind numbing number of posts about this, but all of them pertain to lifted TJs. Mine is stock height. Trust me when I say it’s not a tire. I have had that issue before and that is not what I’m feeling. It feels like my rear drive shaft, but nothing obvious as far as bent, loose, worn. Please feel free to let me know your thoughts

Get the rear on stands and run it and see what happens .

Could be a bearing , an axle , a u joint , a differential , a bent yoke .

Be careful , use a helper , and don't get in harm's way .

Reactions: Chapman4266
You can pull the rear shaft and drive in 4 -hi and see what happens too.

I'm going to say u-joint may be dry and going is real likely, or shaft needs balanced .

I doubt it's anything serious , but it needs fixed before it damages other parts.

It’s 20 degrees right now, but that’s what I was hoping and will look at it in a couple days when it’s 75 degrees on Thursday. Gotta love Texas weather. Thanks for the help and I’ll let you know what I come up with.

Reactions: Shermkev
Update: I had slight play at the front u joint of the rear drive shaft. Replaced it but still had vibration. Removed rear shaft and drove in 4w high. No vibration. I drove up to 75 mph. I had slight side to side play at the spline in the center of the rear shaft. I’m hoping a new woods drive shaft will fix my issue. At some point, the rear u joint brackets had been replaced apparently due to breaking. The muffler has a dent from the front half of the shaft hitting it. That could only have happened if it had come apart at some point( I’m sure due to the rear brackets on the u joint breaking). Would slight side to side play at the splines be the problem that I’m still feeling?

I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth but I believe Mr Blaine mentioned that as a concerned with another vehicle he worked on.

I called a driveline repair shop that is well trusted for quality work. He said he can replace spline, slip, u joints, do any straightening needed, and balance it for no more than $250, likely cheaper. He said he would guarantee good as or better than new with Spicer parts.

Reactions: Mikester86
Not sure what you’re referring to. ?
I can't remember the thread but he mentioned that side to side movement in that component could be a concern...Referring to the slip yoke if I'm remembering correctly.

that's good you're going after that vibrations can damage other things.

I can't remember the thread but he mentioned that side to side movement in that component could be a concern...Referring to the slip yoke if I'm remembering correctly.

that's good you're going after that vibrations can damage other things.
I found the thread. You are correct. That was an issue. Thank you for the help. Still trying to decide whether or not to repair or replace my drive shaft. Repair would be cutting tubes and replacing splines and slip plus everything else mentioned. Decisions decisions.

I found the thread. You are correct. That was an issue. Thank you for the help. Still trying to decide whether or not to repair or replace my drive shaft. Repair would be cutting tubes and replacing splines and slip plus everything else mentioned. Decisions decisions.
If it's warm pretty bad it's well worth the money... If the shaft is vibrating it can mess up something in the transmission end or the differential.

It’s minimal at the splines, but it’s worth a shot. I’m 45 and wanted a Jeep since I was 6. I’m not going to sell it. I’ll pour money into making and keeping it mechanically perfect as long as I live. It looks good, but mechanically sound is and will always be my concern. I’m planning on driving it from Texas to Colorado, Wyoming, Moab, etc and not beating it up, but having fun and driving home. I can’t wait to get it right. I love it, even with the vibration.

Ordered Tom Woods double cardan drive shaft today. Should be here Monday at the latest. I’ll let u know. My Rubicon is stock height, but they tell me their drive shaft should work with 2-4” lift if I get adjustable upper control arms. Stay tuned

Ordered Tom Woods double cardan drive shaft today. Should be here Monday at the latest. I’ll let u know. My Rubicon is stock height, but they tell me their drive shaft should work with 2-4” lift if I get adjustable upper control arms. Stay tuned
Keep at it , you 'll get it dialed in.

It’s driveline something. It’s not tires. I’m wondering about a bent output shaft at transfer. I’m going to have to get it in the air and pull the driveshaft again to see.