Vibration at about 58 miles an hour

I had a set of BFG’s on one of my F150 4x4’s that would balance out perfectly at my brother-in-laws tire shop, then after I would drive 150-200 miles they would vibrate so bad I couldn’t stand it. After about 4 different rebalances I was able to get them replaced by BFG. Cause, broken belting in the tires.
A vibration at 60-65 mph is 99% of the time caused by a balance issue, period.
I didn’t mention this on my first response because the post was already long, but the same thing happened to me years ago with a set of KO2s on an F-350 that I had. I couldn’t get the shake to go away. It was determined that one or more of the tires had belts that had either shifted or broken. Once again, replacing the tires (that time with Michelins) eliminated the shake.
Someone on this forum told me that BFG used a different compound years ago that would harden with age. Perhaps this was the problem.
I wonder if I’m the only one who’s had this problem with more than one set of BFG KO2s. ‘Surely not! Maybe others will respond.

Just put a different set of wheels and tires on the Jeep and the vibration is still there. The mechanic I work with said it’s probably the transfer case but I’ve seen nothing to make me think that’s the case. I’m freaking stumped now.

Just put a different set of wheels and tires on the Jeep and the vibration is still there. The mechanic I work with said it’s probably the transfer case but I’ve seen nothing to make me think that’s the case. I’m freaking stumped now.
That is def frustrating. Hopefully you figure it out. If you do, Please keep the thread updated. It could be of help to others.

For the first year or two of owning my TJ, I had a rhythmic vibration at high speed as well as typical balance shake @55. After lifting it, changing the tires AND wheels, it was gone. Was likely the prev wheels and tires. But I also replaced my driveshaft with a Woody's. So its really hard to say what it was. Maybe all the above.

Bad Tire or bad tire balance.
Just to update everyone, I removed the front driveshaft and the ride was significantly better. Not only was the ride smoother but it was so much quieter as well. There is only a hint of vibration around 60-65 so I’m thinking the rear u-joints are probably going bad too. I’m probably going to get a new front driveshaft to replace the 20 year old one. I’ll update as the process continues.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
OK. That tells you that your problem lies with the tires. When I bought my TJ last year it came with BFG KO2A/Ts size 33/12.59R15. I still had a nagging vibration after completing front end work & balancing & rotating the tires. The manager at my local 4 Wheel Parts store said that KO2s don’t do well on Wranglers & he refuses to sell them in his store. I thought that was odd considering how many Jeeps I see driving around with them. Since the tires were 5 years old & I was going to replace them next year anyway I changed them out in desperation. I put on a set of Falken Wildpeak A/T3 tires (same size) and it worked! No more vibration.

View attachment 268159
Damn. That's a good looking rig!

Reactions: Mudflat