Vibration from 2002 TJ when automatic transmission is in gear

CP Carlton

I have a 2002 with automatic. The engine runs good, but when I put it into gear (even reverse) I get a vibration throughout the Jeep. It gets slightly worse when i am driving slowly 25mph and i can feel it at Fwy speed. Put it back in neutral or park, no vibration. I have checked all of the mounts. It does have a 2” lift with 31’s. Thanks in advance for any feedback

Did this happen before the lift was installed? My guess is your pinion angles are off due to the lift install.

Reactions: CharlesHS
Check the condition of the driveshaft U joints. The lift has changed the operating angle of the driveshaft and IF the U joints are slightly worn this can cause the problem you are experiencing.

Two separate issues here: 1) putting it into gear and feeling vibes, and 2) vibrations while driving.

1) Did this just randomly start up? Are the motor mounts recently replaced and if so, what brand? Non Mopar stuff is notoriously stiffer than stock and transmits more vibes and autos feel it way more than manuals.

2) was it lifted recently? Take some pics of the driveshaft so we can try and determine if your angles are how they should be. It should be pretty easy to fix the angles properly to make a 2” lift happy.